• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half a Hog Fall 2014

Chris Hennes

This fall I had the opportunity to buy half a hog from a local cheese producer who raised three hogs as a sort of side project. The hogs were pastured and their diet supplemented with whey leftover from the cheesemaking process.

Hogs.png

(Image courtesy of Wagon Creek Creamery)

The hogs were slaughtered a few weeks ago: I asked the butcher to "leave mine in the largest pieces you are willing to deal with." On the order sheet this got translated to "cut in half" so I wound up with two quarters split between ribs 12 and 13. I'm basing the following work on Ruhlman and Polcyn's Salumi using the Italian hog breakdown.

I started by thawing the front half of the hog:

Thawing.jpg

Knives.jpg

I split the spine at rib 7:

Rib cut.jpg

Hog in process.jpg

The rear section was then partitioned into a few ribs (I'll just eat these fresh), a chunk of the loin, and a chunk of belly that I cut in half width-wise to give one chunk for Pancetta Tessa and another for American-style bacon:

Lonza.jpg

(Salt and black pepper)

Pancetta.jpg

(Rosemary, juniper, black pepper, garlic, bay, salt)

Bacon.jpg

(Modernist Cuisine cure, unmodified)

Next I moved to the front of the hog and cut off the ribs to give better access:

Remove ribs.jpg

Next the coppa came off and into a standard salt and black pepper cure:

Coppa.jpg

Once the coppa was off I took a portion of the shoulder and boned for Spalla (salt and black pepper):

Spalla.jpg

I harvested a couple more kilograms of belly for bacon. The remainder of the front (about 50% by weight) is chilling again before being ground for a number of other cured salami products. I did eat a chop for lunch: the pork is delicious.

• Like 12

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Looks great Chris!

We fed hogs a lot of whey years ago when there was still an Italian cheesemaker in the area.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I considered doing this when I was learning my primal cuts.  When you see butchers demonstrating a hog breakdown, they always seem to go too fast.  At home, I am assuming you can take your time and get the cuts exactly how you want them.  Your stainless steel table looks perfect for the job but might be a bit on the small side for Bovine LoL

Last night I cubed the rest of the shoulder and scrap for later use:

DSC_5999.jpg

Today, after 24 hours of a wet cure via the salt-box method, I rinsed, dried, wine-rubbed, and re-peppered the coppa:

DSC_6002.jpg

I also rinsed, dried, and wine-rubbed the Spalla:

DSC_6007.jpg

These are getting dry-cured in my (still-in-process) curing chamber, constructed from a compressor-cooled mini fridge controlled via an Arduino using the DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor. The wooden box beneath it houses a humidifier that it turns out is not currently necessary. The chamber is at 15°C and 60%RH. Obviously eventually I'll clean this up and integrate the control circuitry into a more permanent board and enclosure, but I'm still playing around with it.

DSC_6009.jpg

Here's the interior:

DSC_6011.jpg

You can see the sensor and a small fan on the top rack, and just barely make out the large hole drilled in the bottom as an inlet for the humidifier.

• Like 10

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is that it's skin off, so I'm not sure which options are actually available to me. Got any advice?

Seam it out for Noix de Jambon.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 1 month later...