• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nanaimo Bars

Milos Gobrovic

I was hoping to make some Nanaimo bars and send them to relatives in Serbia - but is there a way to make them using substitutes for the perishable ingrediants (butter, eggs, etc.). I know it wouldn't taste the same, but is it possible to come even close? 

The bars are found here ( http://nanaimo-info.com/gpage.html ) and I copied the recipe from it below. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

***Bottom Layer ***

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)

* 1/4 cup sugar

* 5 tablespoons cocoa

* 1 egg beaten

* 1 1/4 cup graham wafer crumbs

* 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds

* 1 cup coconut

***Second Layer ****

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter

* 2 tablespoons cream PLUS

* 2 teaspoons cream

* 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder

* 2 cups icing sugar

***Third Layer ***

* 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)

* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

Bottom Layer

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.

Second Layer

Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

Third Layer

Melt chocolate and butter overlow heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.

This recipe for Nanaimo Bar (Official) serves/makes 24 bars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any input is much appreciated. 

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but, if your relatives can obtain the perishable ingredients (just the egg and butter) over there, maybe what you could do is send the rest of the ingredients and the recipe as a 'kit', perhaps even in a pan the right size for the recipe?

Otherwise, though it is not a great idea to send perishable (particularly chocolate) items through the mail during the summer, we are moving into fall now so perhaps they would survive if you sent the pre-made bars by the fastest way you can find.

And Hello .. welcome to the eGullet forums. Do you live in Canada (home of the Nanaimo bar)?

I would imagine that at certain times of the year, such as the late fall and winter in the northern hemisphere, that such confections

would have suitable conditions to prevent their spoilage.  Should this be shipped via a more rapid freight carrier where the storage

is near 40 F it would probably arrive in a condition that your family could enjoy.

1st layer: Omit the egg, and increase the butter by that amount.  If you have qualms about using butter, use butterfat (aka ghee) or coconut fat

2nd layer:  Omit the cream and icing sugar, use white chocolate, butter, and custard powder.  (I use dehydrated coconut powder in place of custard pwdr) 

3rd layer:  Use straight dark couverture and score the slab into bars before the couverture sets.

Yes, not "original" but pretty fine tasting inspite.

• Like 1

You can omit the egg in the first layer or bake the first layer enough to cook the egg.  If you do that, cool before adding the other layers. 

My American grandmother's recipe for Nanaimo bars from the 50s didn't add the custard powder to the middle layer, instead it was more just plain powdered sugar frosting with flavorings. 

In Toronto, the middle layer seems always to be the straight vanilla, don't know whether other provinces, especially B.C., are purists still   But just across the border from Vancouver in Washington State, Nanaimo bars come in all kinds of flavors -- my favorites are the raspberry ones and the peanut butter, although mocha cream is pretty good, too.  :)    When I visit my SIL who lives in a tiny town on the US side of the border and is a big Nanaimo bar fan (other members of the family think they're too sweet!), we always visit the local bakery and pig out on a variety of flavors together.  Now, that's a tradition!

ETA:  And I see from your link, Milos, that some B.C.er's have no problem straying from vanilla, either!  :)

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)
  • Like 1

Having lived in a foreign country, I'd hesitate sending food overseas that was not pre-packaged.  It may not make it through customs. 

Good point.  We have a friend in the States who keeps trying to send us pickles and relishes she makes -- only about 1/3 get through.