• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"My favorite casserole/one dish meal recipe"

Darienne

I would mention "The Amish Breakfast Casserole" for your list

breakfastmacncheese.jpg

Link to image: http://www.recipechatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/breakfastmacncheese.jpg

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/amish-breakfast-casserole

If you haven't tasted this, reserve a piece of it for yourself before serving your diners..  LOL   It almost disappears

before your eyes.  I'd suggest having some biscuits & gravy,  fried apples, and grits to go with this. I've known of some

restaurants that opened early in the morning that had this on their breakfast menu.  Some of the working men would come in and have "doubles orders" of it as it was that good.  It was always a sell out.before the businessmen got there. 

Inspired by this post, I made several casseroles today (it was wet, windy, snowy and COLD here!) and this was one (we love having breakfast for dinner on occasion!).  As I speak, three quarters of the pan is gone and that was just my husband and teenager plowing through it.  I was hoping it would last for at least a few days ;) but I am sure when I awake, the empty pan will be soaking in the sink!

I made a double batch of Havana Moon Chili (from epicurious.com, without the almonds and with golden raisins instead of dark); a pan of chicken/broccoli/ziti and a lasagne. 

• Like 1

JeanneCake,  I'm glad your family liked it that much :wink:   See what I mean about having some tasty sides to go with it now ?  LOL

I just bet that restaurant owner wished everything he had on his menu was as hot a seller as that breakfast casserole !

• Like 1

My Pop's(grandfather's) Smooch which is known by other names such as Johnny Mazetti or American Chop Suey

cooked macaroni

sautéed ground beef(or in our case ground bison)

sautéed red pepper and onion

chopped tomatoes

a bit of ketchup

a bit of beef broth

mix together and bake for 30 minutes or so

and of course:

cottage pie

beef stew

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

How about a cheesy cauliflower casserole, to which you could also add some ground meat if the cheese wasn't sufficient protein for you.

I am not sure that cabbage rolls would be considered a 'casserole' by all people but they certainly are a one-dish meal. I make them with ground pork, rice, cabbage leaves, seasoning, canned whole tomatoes with the juice (crushed as I put them in the pot), and a twist which I think may be Polish (we had a Polish househelper when I was a kid and this recipe was learned from her by my mother) - sauerkraut. I love the tangy flavour but most don't use the sauerkraut so if sauerkraut is not to your taste then leave it out. You can also use/add some V8 juice if there is insufficient liquid or you want a bit more taste. I cook them in a large pot (and they are better the 2nd day), but, some people roll them smaller than I do and place them in a casserole dish to bake. And some use hamburger or a mix of pork and hamburger.

A friend of my mother's often made a chicken, broccoli, cheese and noodle casserole when we went to visit for lunch. Don't have a recipe but it seems easy to experiment with something along that line till you find what suits you.

Lastly, I have many times made my own replica 'mushroom soup from a can' base from scratch (white sauce plus sautéed mushrooms and a bit of worchestershire sauce and/or sherry) to add to old standbys such as tuna casserole and green bean casserole - since I do not like the canned stuff.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

I am not sure that cabbage rolls would be considered a 'casserole' by all people but they certainly are a one-dish meal. I make them with ground pork, rice, cabbage leaves, seasoning, canned whole tomatoes with the juice (crushed as I put them in the pot), and a twist which I think may be Polish (we had a Polish househelper when I was a kid and this recipe was learned from her by my mother) - sauerkraut.

Your comment made me think of choucroute garnie, definitely casserole-like and a one dish meal.

... Shel

I am not sure that cabbage rolls would be considered a 'casserole' by all people but they certainly are a one-dish meal. I make them with ground pork, rice, cabbage leaves, seasoning, canned whole tomatoes with the juice (crushed as I put them in the pot), and a twist which I think may be Polish (we had a Polish househelper when I was a kid and this recipe was learned from her by my mother) - sauerkraut. I love the tangy flavour but most don't use the sauerkraut so if sauerkraut is not to your taste then leave it out. You can also use/add some V8 juice if there is insufficient liquid or you want a bit more taste. I cook them in a large pot (and they are better the 2nd day), but, some people roll them smaller than I do and place them in a casserole dish to bake. And some use hamburger or a mix of pork and hamburger.

Boy, I'm with you on the cabbage rolls. A perfect one-pot dinner. Although I always serve it with mashed potatoes.

And as the weather gets cooler, definitely time to be thinking about getting out the Dutch oven and rolling some cabbage.

A previous discussion:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/108616-stuffed-cabbage-rolls-cook-off-36/page-4?hl=%2Bcabbage#entry1858095

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A friend of my mother's often made a chicken, broccoli, cheese and noodle casserole when we went to visit for lunch. Don't have a recipe but it seems easy to experiment with something along that line till you find what suits you.

Chicken Divan meets chicken tetrazzini

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

for staff meal I occassionaly make my proprietary Cheeseburger Casserole. a layer of savor bread pudding, then beef, cheese, and another layer of bread pudding on top. served with plenty of salad with yellow mustard vinaigrette.

• Like 3

Cassoulet!

I've never made it myself, but I'm going to fix that. Anyone recommend a good, fairly simple recipe?  Can I replace duck confit with another meat?

http://kitchen-at-camont.com/2007/11/06/camp-cassoulet-the-recipe-en-fin/

I don't recommend changing out anything.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Can I replace duck confit with another meat?

No.

You'll read and hear all kinds of arguments about what else you can put in there. You'll see some curious variations on menus. Duck confit is the constant, though, serving to season and flavour the dish. Without that you've just got fatty pork and beans. Not that you or anyone else should be unhappy with that combination ... it's just that you wouldn't have cassoulet. And, yeah, I've tried it. Bad idea. Particularly when sous vide turns confit into a 'set and forget' proposition. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Some of my favorites:

Biryani - I've used Madhur Jaffrey's recipe from "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking" and it is so good. 

Macaroni & Cheese - whatever cheeses I've got around.  I often add roasted cherry tomatoes and frozen broccoli that I've thawed out (no need to blanch my own)

My Mom made great Chicken Pot Pie growing up.  Her pie crust is always so good.

Ditto on the Shepard's Pie that was a staple - Canned corn, ground beef and mashed potatoes.  No onions that I recall.

• Like 1

Some of my favorites:

Biryani - I've used Madhur Jaffrey's recipe from "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking" and it is so good. 

I used to make Biryani quite a lot in the 1970's.  At this time I was in graduate school.  This was before there were large numbers of people from India living in the United States.  Indeed, my father's family was Indian, but this was a different kind of Indian.

Anyhow, for authentic Biryani I had two informants.  One said Biryani could only be made with meat.  The other said Biryani could never be made with meat.  For my Biryani I made it vegetarian, but served it with grilled lamb.  I have not made it in decades.  I want some now.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Meatball Stew

The original of this recipe came from an “Open House” type TV show for “ladies” back in the late 1960s. The first time I made it, I had no tomato paste or sauce, so I improvised with catsup and water that gave it a more sweet-spicy taste.  Serves 4 with 3 meatballs each, or 6 with 2 meatballs.

Made this last night. I put the veggies into a large casserole with a very little bit of butter and olive oil and roasted them for the pre-cook part, then laid the browned meatballs on top. I did add a sprinkle of fresh thyme because I had it and love the flavor of thyme with beef, but otherwise, followed the directions exactly. You're sure right about the meatballs being "sloppy" and mine were more like fat patties than balls, but they looked fine and tasted great.

The whole family loved it - a big hit. All in all a perfect one-dish meal.

Thank you so much for posting it.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Is oven pancake oki?  It is Swedish pancake batter baked in the oven with  bacon.  Yummy served with grated carrots and lingon jam.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Here is something we enjoy from time to time. It is based on a recipe by Rose Reisman for City TV who used black beans in place of ground meat.

Tortilla, Beef, Tomato and Cheese Pie

1 cup drained canned corn

2 tsp vegetable oil

1/2 cup chopped onions

2 tsp minced garlic

1 cup chopped sweet red peppers

1/2 cup chopped sweet green peppers

1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce

1 1/2 tsp dried basil

1 tsp (each) chili powder / cumin powder

1 pound ground beef, cooked

2 cups shredded light mozzarella cheese

2 cups shredded light cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons Parmesan

5 large flour tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray.

2. In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, cook corn over medium heat for 8 minutes or until slightly charred. Stir often. Set aside.

3. Add oil to pan and cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red and green peppers, cook for 3 minutes. Then stir in tomato sauce, charred corn, chili powder, cumin powder and meat, cover and cook for 6 – 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

4. In a small bowl combine mozzarella, cheddar and Parmesan cheese.

5. Place a tortilla in prepared spring form pan. Spread with one-quarter of the vegetable & beef sauce. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the cheese mixture. Then repeat process three times. Top off with the final tortilla and a little extra cheese, then cover pan with foil.

6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese has melted. Cut into 8 wedges with a sharp knife.

Serves 4

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

Sound quick and good, Elsie.  I'd add the black beans and sub shredded pork for the ground beef.  I always have a large bag of shredded pork in the freezer.  We also have frozen homemade tomato sauce.  Might also cut down on the amount of cheese to keep DH happy. 

Thanks for this one. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.