• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza recommendations in Las Vegas

We're starting to make decisions about our three lunches and four dinners for our trip to LV in December. The plan is to go off-strip for most (or all) meals. Here's what's decided so far: We already have a dinner reservation at Takeshi Omae, most likely followed by a visit to Sweets Raku. We'll go to Chada Thai or Lotus of Siam another night (I started another thread about that decision). We'll probably take a road trip one day and eat lunch at Pahrump Winery.

It's a dismal pizza scene here in Grand Rapids, so we're contemplating that option for LV. As far as I can tell, the best bets are Settebello, in LV or Henderson (I was there once, several years ago); Novocento (several locations); Due Forni, in South Town Center; and Dom DeMarco's (NY-style pizza, half-price bottles on Monday). Comments (+ or -) about these? Other pizza recommendations?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Due Forni is a chain, and I wouldn't recommend it.  I had Spago's pizza many years back, I wouldn't recommend it either.

There's been a lot of buzz over Pizza Rock in Downtown Vegas.  Check it out!  

You might want to check out Pin up pizza in Planet Hollywood shops and also Secret Pizza in the Cosmo.

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

It would be worth reading this review of Due Forni.  I guess you could call it a chain albeit they only have two restaurants, Las Vegas and Austin.

http://www.eatinglv.com/2014/09/eating-las-vegas-the-50-essential-restaurants-32-due-forni/

Settebello is a chain, but I hear good things about it from my friends that live in Las Vegas, and some are giving good reviews of Pizza Rock.  I can tell you one place to avoid, Grimaldi's.  A prime example of a great New York pizza place that expanded, and expanded, and their customer service tanked along the way. Especially in Las Vegas.

It would be worth reading this review of Due Forni.  I guess you could call it a chain albeit they only have two restaurants, Las Vegas and Austin.

http://www.eatinglv.com/2014/09/eating-las-vegas-the-50-essential-restaurants-32-due-forni/

Settebello is a chain, but I hear good things about it from my friends that live in Las Vegas, and some are giving good reviews of Pizza Rock.  I can tell you one place to avoid, Grimaldi's.  A prime example of a great New York pizza place that expanded, and expanded, and their customer service tanked along the way. Especially in Las Vegas.

Thank you for the information, David, and for the link to John Curtas's article. I know you have extensive experience with LV restaurants. Kabuto (#8 of Curtas's 50) is also on my short list. And I had no idea about #10 Estiatorio Milos. Their lunch menu looks wonderful, and a bargain at that.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you already mentioned Estiatorio Milos, I heard a lot of good things about it and tried it a few weeks ago. The prices are reasonable if you want to save at least a bit of money when it comes to food!

Last year I stayed at MGM Grand for 1 night, they had a special deal for one night (found it on hotelscheap, made me really happy) and the next day we went to Secret Pizza, which is not far from the hotel. It was also very good, but I don't know if you prefer NY style or not. A little bit more expensive, though.

I know you said off strip, but there's a "secret" pizza place in the Cosmopolitan that is faaaaaaantastic. It's on the third floor, down a hallway covered with old album covers. Really great crust, excellent meatball pizza. Best (and cheapest) meal on the strip.

I was thinking about a lunch pizza at Spago next trip to Vegas, but not sure. Milos was great the first 2 times I went there, but the Lavraki had definitely gone down hill when I last visited in Dec, 20113. Salad was still awesome. Another lunch favourite, the vegetarian crepes at Eiffel Tower had sadly declined in pleasureabe possibilities. Maybe December is not a good time to go to Vegas. Food has always tasted good in Feb.

• 1 month later...