• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Amirault

Mail-Order Virginia Country Hams

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It WAS!!!  Here you go!

I'll testify to it. Garden & Gun is worth a subscription, just for the recipes in it, btw. Link here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

To put diced Virginia country ham into a casserole, do I soak the ham slices before or after it has been diced?

@rotuts?

Posted (edited)

@TdeV 

the issue is simple : Salt

how much do you want from the ham ?

for me , less is much better , and it begins out the flavor of

The Pig.

you can soak either way

diced wil give you more surface area to remove the salt.

pat dry and ten use.

id there is fat  involved

I use very cold or ice water

to keep the fat fir

if i want that in the final dish

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

To put diced Virginia country ham into a casserole, do I soak the ham slices before or after it has been diced?

@rotuts?

Obviously not @rotuts but as he says, it's all about the salt level.  If I wanted max ham flavor in my casserole, I would not soak the ham.  I would assume that the little diced bits will give up some salt to the dish during cooking so I'd adjust or eliminate other sources of salt. 

I do give the biscuit slices a soak before I heat them up for breakfast sandwiches but they're not cooked in a casserole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Id like to give you my impressions of Broadbent's and Father's 

Bacon ends  ( for seasoning meat , per web pages ;

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Hickory-Baconp-Seasoning-Pieces_pp4-1-Lb-Pkgs_p/productinfo/110/

and 

https://fatherscountryhams.com/collections/hocks-seasoning-meat/products/fathers-bacon-seasoning-6-pack-bs6

Ive worked w several pack of each , and these are my general observations :

packets vary with in each company  lean // meaty .   one or two packs doesn't not get you a very good

idea as say , 10 packs of each.   

over all , I think Brodbents is meatier / pack , but still plenty of fat / pack.   Fathers' is over-all

fattier .  remember this is over several packs.   

Father's seem smokier than Brodbents , and Broadbent's is pretty smoky .

and I think Fathers is a bit saltier than Brodbents.

I have quite a few packs from each   but this analysis  is not very scientific.   I didn't do 5 packs from each

company at a time and weigh fat vs Lean,  etc

I slice up the Ends into small cubes , discard the fat , and soak in cold water for  a while

\before I slowly saute until about 1/2 cooked , cool and refrigerate then use as seasoning bits.

If i do a lot , Ill vac-bag  and freeze , then open the bag and use what i need , and re-seal that same back

then back in the freezer  it goes.   Im doing about 1.5 lbs of trimmings from Fathers today

and plan a few 20 min soaks , discard the water , and add fresh.

i take something called HCTZ , so dont see the point of loads of exogenous salt

after the soaks and saute  , both Brodbents and Fathers are plenty Country-Smoked-Piggy

I currently favor the Premium smoked ham pieces over the bacon trimmings, as i dont use that much of the fat.

and they are easier to dice , soak and use.    I don't use strip bacon any more , even on TurkeyMeatLoaf

which is on hiatus  due to the heat and shopping concerns .   Ive added soaked  dice of bacon and ham into the TML 

and studded the top w the same getting good results in the past

as ive said before , u like supermarket bacon and supermarket ham

country bacon and country ham  are much closer in taste than the stuff from the supermarket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Somewhat related I enjoyed recently reading about Andre Mack and his putting American hams on showcase, He has quoted Edna Lewis saying "ham held the same rating as the basic black dress. If you had a ham in the meat house, any situation could be faced."   https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/and-sons-is-a-new-ham-and-wine-bar-from-a-celebrity-sommelier-123019

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3