• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Amirault

Mail-Order Virginia Country Hams

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It WAS!!!  Here you go!

I'll testify to it. Garden & Gun is worth a subscription, just for the recipes in it, btw. Link here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

To put diced Virginia country ham into a casserole, do I soak the ham slices before or after it has been diced?

@rotuts?

@TdeV 

the issue is simple : Salt

how much do you want from the ham ?

for me , less is much better , and it begins out the flavor of

The Pig.

you can soak either way

diced wil give you more surface area to remove the salt.

pat dry and ten use.

id there is fat  involved

I use very cold or ice water

to keep the fat fir

if i want that in the final dish

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

To put diced Virginia country ham into a casserole, do I soak the ham slices before or after it has been diced?

@rotuts?

Obviously not @rotuts but as he says, it's all about the salt level.  If I wanted max ham flavor in my casserole, I would not soak the ham.  I would assume that the little diced bits will give up some salt to the dish during cooking so I'd adjust or eliminate other sources of salt. 

I do give the biscuit slices a soak before I heat them up for breakfast sandwiches but they're not cooked in a casserole. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1