• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail-Order Virginia Country Hams

Chris Amirault

I was gifted some lovely products from Father’s and today I tried the Bacon Seasoning for the first time.

Here.

I’m surprised my neighbours were not breaking down my doors to reach that lovely smoky, porky smell.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

those BB look deliucious

would you share your Rx ?

I bastardized my usual recipe - I'll include it here though 

Baked Beans 

Recipe By: Kerry 
Serving Size: 12 

Ingredients: 

- 1 lbbag dried navy beans soak and cook 
- 2 tsp salt 
- 1/4 tsp pepper 
- 1 cup brown sugar 
- 1 cup chopped onion 
- 6 tbsp bacon drippings 
- 2 tsp prepared mustard 
- 4 cups tomato juice 
- 4 cups bean water 
- 1/2 lb bacon cut into chunks 
- 1/2 canned ham cubed 

Directions: 

Soak beans overnight, or do quick soak.  To quick soak, cover beans with cold water, bring to a boil, boil one minute, cover and let sit one hour.  Cook beans for about 30 minutes or until tender.  Fry bacon and reserve fat.  Combine all ingredients and bake at 325 for 6-8 hours, topping up with water if get too dry.  Can also cook in crock pot.  

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

for 1 lb bag of dried beans

how much F's Baconseasoning did you use , fat + Meat ?

I used about 3 big chunks - too much I'd say - one would have been sufficient. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

How does the bacon seasoning compare to the hock-jus for seasoning?  Has anyone here had both?  

My tentative operating assumption is that the bacon seasoning is stronger.  

I use pork stock a lot, smoked-hock-based for mild and smoked-neckbone-based for strong. 

On that -- I would LOVE a tip for where to find some neckbones of the quality of the hams in these threads.  I'm going to call the purveyors on the list to see, but any leads would be appreciated.  

the hocks from Fathers , after cooking in the iPot 

are hammy and the stock not too salty there is some smoke, but its not powerful

the bacon seasonings are very very smoky.

interesting idea :  to call Fathers and see what happens to the next , jowl etc

if you do , please post here.

Ive called them, a couple of times and they were very helpful on the phone.

it did not occur to me to ask about smoked necks etc.

• Like 2

Benton's bacon grease makes for the dopest, smokiest, richest, most bomb-ass Mapo Doufu in the world. Just thought I'd share my recent (albeit "duh"-obvious) discovery

• Like 2

@Hassouni

you bet 

I use every once of Benton's bacon

Father's Hocks and BaconSeasonings is different

in a complimentary sense  

Id advise you try it

shipping cost is an issue

so get 2 sets of each and take your time.

Suffering from hock-envy and bacon seasoning FOMO, I recently caved and placed an order with Father's.  It was shipped last Monday and arrived today so it took a full week.  

The smoky, porky smell has completely infiltrated the entire house and the volume of pork products I received sort of amazed me.

I ordered one package each of hocks and seasoning meat, 1 lb of hickory smoked bacon, 1 lb of bacon end slices, a 2 lb slab of bacon and a small package of their sliced prosciutto.

The bacon end slices look quite nice, not that different from the regular and much nicer than the bacon ends I've purchased elsewhere. 

One hock and one package of seasoning meat seem like they might have a poor seal so I'll use them first.  There's a couple of good sized grease spots inside the box so I hope I've correctly identified those two as the culprits.

• Like 4

Ive ordered from Fathers' several times

i had two packs were not completely sealed.

I the packs move around while shipping which causes this

I resealed or you can just freeze those.

Im very impressed w the ' value ' Ive gotten from fathers   :m Bacon seasonings and Hocks.

I also love Benton's bacon and have a few packs from when my sister used to send them to me.

Father's packaging kind of sucks. The last order I placed for a dozen hocks saw half a dozen unsealed. Some of the unsealed bags had been double sealed. I did my best to reseal them all with my chamber vac. Some hocks have now been triple sealed. It's mostly an issue with the harder, irregularly shaped products that bang around inside the box, but I've had issues with other products as well. It doesn't bother me with the ham so much, since it's super old and funky and oxidized anyway. But a bad seal can allow younger products like bacon to go rancid more quickly, and rancid bacon is no bueno. Especially when it's super smoky and otherwise beautiful country bacon. At any rate, they should revisit both their vacuum packing procedures and their box-packaging procedures. Seal it up better and keep it from banging around in the box. 

+1 to bluedolphin's recommendation of the end slices. They're very close to regular non-end bacon, and are only slightly irregular. Perfect for sandwiches in BLT season. And it's just fine to eat fried on its own as normal bacon unless you need perfect looking strips on the plate. If you're not particular about how your bacon looks, save the bucks and go for the ends.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My Father's hocks are on the stove.  I got a late start today -- World Cup/boozy brunch, and then a, uh, recovery nap -- but we're going with the pressure cooker.   Can't wait. 

I ordered the hocks, the "prosciutto", and a pile of snacks:  the ham and bacon jerkies, and a very large quantity of the cracklins.  I favor high fat snacks.

Of the snack products, the cracklins are fine if oily, but I'm not sure they are worth the shipping.  Both jerkies are tasty, and not super dry.  The bacon jerky is, in particular, to die for. 

But I hear it's all about the ham, so I'm very excited about these hocks.  

• Like 2

If others are inspired to order Father's products and live somewhat distant from them, I'd recommend waiting until cooler weather. 

My order, placed in May, was shipped promptly but was in transit for over a week.  It wasn't hot here, but the uninsulated box had clearly been exposed to very warm temps.  Everything inside ws quite warm to the touch and the bacon had that translucent, liquidy appearance you get when you try to warm a pack in the microwave and way overshoot the time. The shipping box was soaked through in several areas with fat that had leaked out from 2 poorly sealed bags. 

Nothing was actually rancid but I'm sure this sort of handling can affect the quality and shelf life of the products.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If others are inspired to order Father's products and live somewhat distant from them, I'd recommend waiting until cooler weather. 

My order, placed in May, was shipped promptly but was in transit for over a week.  It wasn't hot here, but the uninsulated box had clearly been exposed to very warm temps.  Everything inside ws quite warm to the touch and the bacon had that translucent, liquidy appearance you get when you try to warm a pack in the microwave and way overshoot the time. The shipping box was soaked through in several areas with fat that had leaked out from 2 poorly sealed bags. 

Nothing was actually rancid but I'm sure this sort of handling can affect the quality and shelf life of the products.

I hope they will make good on your order.

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I agree totally.  I decided not to order bacon because I just couldn't see how that was gonna work.  

And yes, their sealing could use some higher-tech.  

Edited by SLB (log)

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

I hope they will make good on your order.

They're pretty clear about the products not needing refrigeration so I didn't complain about it and chalked it up to a learning experience.  Given the shipping cost of close to $35, I sort of expected a insulated shipping box or cool packs might have been involved but I didn't ask ahead.

The hocks and bacon seasoning seemed to fare the best so if that's what you're after, it may be OK.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I didn't know what thread to put this is

I chose this one as Father's ends and pieces were mentioned here.

I decided to re-supply my Ham / Bacon ends and pieces 

last year i went w Fathers , and was happy with their product.

this year I decided to try Broadbent , as it has had some recent excellent  reviews

Benton's ,  is my Country Bacon ' Home ' , [ as my sister sent me some of their wonderful stuff a while ago , which i still use and enjoy ]  

at

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Seasoning-Sampler_p/productinfo/527/

I got the seasoning sampler x 2 , as shipping is a significant charge for all of the Country Pork products

this is what I got :

1610874930_BDBCBSE.thumb.jpg.c9e8a42235511ef73b9d0541eab07044.jpg

Country Bacon seasoning  ends , front and back

1973661815_BDBCHSP.thumb.jpg.fa16c94a331dc0d681c559ec6662046b.jpg

Country Ham smoked seasoning pieces  ( 2 lbs packs )  the R item is not as fatty as it looks here

1730409206_BDBCHPSP.thumb.jpg.22b01f58126904a2d4a71187943901b4.jpg

Ham Smoked seasoning pieces , premium   very little fat

1645277686_BDBSmokedHocks.thumb.jpg.805d10478f7c4be1f78175ed3b086ccc.jpg

and smoked hocks , > 1 LBS each

when the box arrived , this AM , the neighborhood did not smell that smoky .

all the packs came intact  .  a few of the Fathers hock had popped a small leak in transit  , easily emitted w my Chanber Vac Sealer.

I open one of the packs from Broadbent :  plenty of smoky goodness Ill say.

I very happy w this sampler.   i didn't compare weights and prices between F's and Broadbent.

I think  that Broadbent does a better job w their sealer , and might be using use thicker plastic in their Vac'ing.

I can't be sure of the later as I have not measured this plastic for thickness.

anyway , I happy Im trying this.

I spoke to them over the phone, and they assure me if I cut a piece of their Country Bacon Pieces to the ' bacon cooking ' thickness

it would be identical to their bacon slabs and vac'd cut bacon.

I think your cannot go wrong with either Fathers or Broadbent for these trimmings.  Broadbent included lean ham pieces.

to be clear , there are 6 packets / single order   2 orders  = 12 packets

all are a pound except the country ham seasoning pieces which is 2 lbs / pack.

you get two 1 lbs Hock packs and two 1 lbs country bacon pieces  = over 7 lbs / order.

please also note :  that a double order of this sampler is an awful lot of smoky goodness.

I plan to pass around a few packets to friends to try

and can always re-seal packs as i have a Vacmaster

and freeze the rest for years of use.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Thanks for that, @rotuts.  Some of the Father's prices are a little lower but, at least for me, Broadbent's shipping is much less.  For example, last year, I ordered $69 dollars worth of stuff from Father's and the shipping was $32.83.  Broadbent's shipping on a $69 order would be $18.90.  

Fathers Broadbent
Hocks 6 x 1 lb/$16 4 x 1 lb/$16.90
Bacon Seasoning 6 x 1 lb/$10 4 x 1 lb/$16.90

Father's offers some smaller package sizes that are handy for me

Fathers Broadbent
Bacon end slices 1 lb/$5 5 x 14oz/$26.90
Slab bacon 2 lbs/$20 4-5 lbs/$29.20
  8-9 lbs/$69  

I'd like try some of the Broadbent's Applewood or Maplewood slab bacon but a 4-5 lb slab will last me forever.  Hmmmm.  What to do?

• Like 1