• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

The flavor isn’t strong at all to me. It’s very mellow. Like, Boars Head maple ham cold cuts have more flavor. 

I also loathe beans unfortunately. And hard boiled eggs. 

The pimento cheese idea is calling to me! 

Pimiento cheese is one of the major reasons to be a southerner. And every southern cook has a different recipe. Here's a good one from the Capitol Bar and Grille. And there's a whole compendium of 'em from Southern Living.

Mine involves 8 oz of extra sharp cheddar, about 4 oz of Velveeta (freeze it so it'll grate), a 4-oz jar of drained, diced pimientos, a splash of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, and a couple of shakes of Lawry's seasoned salt and some cayenne. Use between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (lean toward the1/3 size); my personal belief is that it should be either homemade or Hellman's regular, traditional mayo, although there are many aficionados of Duke's out there. 

It makes a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich, is sublime on a burger, and is pretty damn good slathered on crackers or between a couple of slices of bread.

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

The flavor isn’t strong at all to me. It’s very mellow. Like, Boars Head maple ham cold cuts have more flavor. 

I also loathe beans unfortunately. And hard boiled eggs. 

The pimento cheese idea is calling to me! 

Pimiento cheese is one of the major reasons to be a southerner. And every southern cook has a different recipe. Here's a good one from the Capitol Bar and Grille. And there's a whole compendium of 'em from Southern Living.

Mine involves 8 oz of extra sharp cheddar, about 4 oz of Velveeta (freeze it so it'll grate), a 4-oz jar of drained, diced pimientos, a splash of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, and a couple of shakes of Lawry's seasoned salt. Use between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (lean toward the1/3 size); my personal belief is that it should be either homemade or Hellman's regular, traditional mayo, although there are many aficionados of Duke's out there. 

It makes a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich, is sublime on a burger, and is pretty damn good slathered on crackers or between a couple of slices of bread.