• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Giving Out to Trick-or-Treaters?

gulfporter

This is our first Halloween at our new home and we aren't sure we'll get any trick-or-treaters (no young kids in immediate neighborhood).  I asked a neighbor and she said not to expect many, but she has gotten a few halloween-ers in the past, but often none at all.  

Since it's likely that whatever treats I buy will end up being eaten by us, I'm going with individual packs of Goldfish, peanut butter crackers, Oreo minis....the sort of stuff we keep in the car in case we need a quick snack on the run.  We don't like milk chocolate at all, and most kiddies don't like dark chocolate so I'll skip the candy this year.  

I bought medium-sized bags of mixed Hershey's candies and mixed Mars candies.  Something for everyone, including me.

I doubt if I'll see any kids this year - haven't for the last three years - and Toots hasn't had trick-or-treaters at her place for the last four Halloweens.

Halloween Card.jpg

• Like 2

... Shel

Nothing!

Kids get more than enough junk!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Nothing!

Kids get more than enough junk!

You can give them something besides junk.  There are lots of options ...

http://www.listotic.com/64-non-candy-halloween-snack-ideas/7/

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/food/nutrition/nutrition/life_stages/hgic4112.html

No need to be a "crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon" for a holiday that's designed to give kids some pleasure.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

Full size candy bars.   We get very few willing to make the  side trip into our little court , less than 15 most years, so we tend to give out bigger treats. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have no idea.  Mr. Kim buys them and (at my request) hides them from me.  I'll know tomorrow night when he gets them out.  I'll still eat WAY too much candy, but at least we won't end up having to go out Halloween afternoon and replenish what I've demolished (this has actually happened)  :blush: .

• Like 1

No need to be a "crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon" for a holiday that's designed to give kids some pleasure.

Nowadays it seems to be a holiday thats designed to give kids a lot of sugary trash they don't really need.  When I was a kid we only went to the houses of people we knew and  they would pretend to not know who we were and reduce us to giggles with ridiculous guesses  and then give us candy.  Lastly we'd go  to Mrs. Cruet's house at the end of the street where old Mrs. Cruet would have a table full of home made treats. Now its just a contest to see who can get the most junk by visiting the most people. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out there's a app available mapping out the best streets and the best homes for the kids to hit, and the ones there's no point in going to.

Two years ago the kids in my town didn't even get to go trick or treating since the island was still under a mandatory evacuation order, and some of the kids are still living in motels or with friends or relatives because their homes are still uninhabitable.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

A Beverly Hills Health Guru Is Handing Out Compost Worms For Halloween

"Last year, she simply handed out candy in tiny coffins to illustrate to young children that eating processed sugar leads to death..."

• Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A Beverly Hills Health Guru Is Handing Out Compost Worms For Halloween

"Last year, she simply handed out candy in tiny coffins to illustrate to young children that eating processed sugar leads to death..."

What a peach. Sounds like a wonderfully happy, encouraging person to be around.

Processed sugar leads to death. And it tastes great. Yummy, yummy death.

I've got 5 mini-meshugana's, so by the time they're done trick or treating, I've got enough loot to start a confectionery. If I don't eat it all first and go into a delightfully yummy sugar coma.

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

My house is too scary. In NC, I live on a hilly street with no street lights - lots of spooky trees and dark shadows lurking. Kids won't come up the drive. In my day, that would have been a challenge that few of us kids could resist. But since they don't come here, I try not to fool myself into buying candy that will all have to be consumed by me.

Not sure if any little ones would show up at my house in Nova Scotia - missing Halloween there again this year. Hope they do next year.

• Like 1

Yeah, the moat keeps them away here.

• Like 5

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/food/nutrition/nutrition/life_stages/hgic4112.html

I agree, 'Here, chew on this carrot !' should please them.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I live in a huge NYC apartment building, and I love giving out treats to the kids. I have several bags of mini-sized candy bars: Mounds, Almond Joy, Peppermint Patties, Twizzlers (my favorite), a few others. Last year I ran out of candy, so I ran downstairs to buy more. I love seeing the kids, they enjoy it so much. I grew up in a huge NYC apartment building (many years ago), and we loved Halloween and everyone gave out treats, so what goes around comes around. Or what comes around goes around. Or whatever. There goes the doorbell!

• Like 1

So, I should give them something they don't want and that they'll likely just throw away?  What, just to make me feel good?

That doesn't make sense to me.

BTW....I donate several hundred pounds of produce to the food bank every year....stuff for those who really need it.

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

oh and I think there should be a universal time cut off...like 9:00 or 9:30 pm...

In this village it's 5:30 to 8:00...only homes with a porch light on.