• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink's

hollywood

For years I had resisted the urgings to visit Pink's (Melrose & LaBrea). Looked like a little hot dog stand with a big line. Why bother? Saturday, I went. It's bigger than it looks from the street, has parking and even tables. And just about every permutation and combination of hot dog and ingredients you can imagine/create. I went simple. A chili cheese dog and a bacon chili cheese. The Pink's dog is small but goes well with the chili cheese and onions, etc. The casing has snap. I like it. An added bonus is the opportunity to view numerous head shots posted on the walls and reflect on what happened to some of these folks (there's the MIA weatherman), the newbies (Dr. Phil), and some that you've never even heard of (ah, who were you?).

Speaking of guilty pleasures, a perfect soundtrack for this environment would be Missy Elliott's "Under Construction." Reminds me of early Bette Midler in attitude, as Ms. E has it both ways endorsing nonviolence, fidelity (up to a point), while making her case in an amusingly blue way. She contemplates the past and the future of hip hop and brings some notable guests along for the ride. All in all, a lot of fun and the best I can recommend till Ms. Lauryn gets back to the fold. Missy does not miss a beat.

What prompted this was a visit to Amoeba to follow up on ian/ballast regime's rec of Stereo Total's "Musique Automatique." Sort of the Normal meets Devo meets Shonen Knife with a certain je ne sais quoi. Perfect for the next Bastille Day function.

The other prompter was by sheer happenstance running into Davey Faragher (nice guy), the bassist in Costello's new band The Imposters. So I also picked up their Cruel Smile, a sort of road trip take on When I Was Cruel. Over the years I've often marvelled at how one guy can be such a clever lyricist and have such a great voice. Only one who strikes me as comparable would be Van Morrison before he fell into a recycling cycle.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I enjoyed a Pinks hot dog one year after a big night out. It was great! I haven't been back, but I do remember it with pleasure...

Elvis. I try, I REALLY try, to like the new stuff, but I just can't get into it. He is a great performer, though, and a brilliant lyricist!

Pinks and Elvis are an odd combo, though, Hollywood! :blink:

I'm a sucker for Pink's after a hard nite of running around- chili/kraut dog with mustard is my poison, washed down with a black cherry soda.

There's always a line, you always gotta wait, but imho the *snap* is worth it.

And it's the least of my many guilty pleasures. :wink:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Pink's used to sell their classic chili cheese dogs at a special price on Oscar night - the last was 69 cents for the 69th Oscars - but they've since stopped. Bought sacksful one year for a party at home - great house with entertainment room in the garden - thinking we'd eat all night long but only able to actually eat about two each. Best Oscars party we attended in LA.

Pink's used to sell their classic chili cheese dogs at a special price on Oscar night - the last was 69 cents for the 69th Oscars - but they've since stopped. Bought sacksful one year for a party at home - great house with entertainment room in the garden - thinking we'd eat all night long but only able to actually eat about two each. Best Oscars party we attended in LA.

Next time get em with bacon.

I enjoyed a Pinks hot dog one year after a big night out.  It was great!  I haven't been back, but I do remember it with pleasure...

Elvis.  I try, I REALLY try, to like the new stuff, but I just can't get into it.  He is a great performer, though, and a brilliant lyricist!

Pinks and Elvis are an odd combo, though, Hollywood! :blink:

Actually, I ran into Davey at Giancarlo's but it doesn't have the flair of Pink's.

Supposedly the dawgs are by Hoffy, but Pink's is suspiciously close to the tar pits.

I'm just saying this because LA in its entirety is suspiciously close to the tar pits.

Dude, Pink's is on LaBrea. LaBrea as I get it translates as tar pits. Think you are on to one of their secret ingredients?

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm a sucker for Pink's after a hard nite of running around- chili/kraut dog with mustard is my poison, washed down with a black cherry soda.

There's always a line, you always gotta wait, but imho the *snap* is worth it.

And it's the least of my many guilty pleasures.    :wink:

Funny thing, Monkeymay, I ordered a cream soda, but when it came time to pay I saw the black cherry. Had to get it! :smile:

Hey Hollywood that was a good post. I haven't been to Pink's in years but I used to love it. And those dogs do have snap.

Hey, stop. Wait a minute. Hold the phone. Was that your picture on the wall?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Pink's yesterday about 1:30pm. Waited about 40 minutes, thinking all the while...this must be great.

Well, I had a chili, coleslaw dog server added cheese 2 slices american- thanks for nothing.

The dog was tasty- but WOW that is some real heart attack food.

Now I know.

Now I know.

Where else can you get a zen heart attack? Probably a blissful death???

ohm.

Came back to NY 1/22 and had a 13 degree rude awakening. Today is up to 30 for the first time since the 13th of January.

I thought the Wat Thai food court was a little more zen like. It was 82 degrees in the valley that day.

Now I know.

Where else can you get a zen heart attack? Probably a blissful death???

ohm.

Came back to NY 1/22 and had a 13 degree rude awakening. Today is up to 30 for the first time since the 13th of January.

I thought the Wat Thai food court was a little more zen like. It was 82 degrees in the valley that day.

It was at least 82 yesterday. Such is the life we lotus eaters are fated to live.