• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie Dishes

redpandapie

Can anyone help me find where to buy a pie dish like this one? I live in the UK, so if it is available here that is a bonus.

jDYInfh.jpg

On a side note, what are people's experiences with different types of pie dishes, e.g. ceramic, stoneware, aluminium, etc.?

Given the context, a pub, and the single glass of beer I am guessing this is an individual serving of pie. Judging scale here is difficult because of the camera angle. Perhaps the OP could confirm.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks like it's held a pie or two in its time.  And it looks more like a small brazier than a pie pan.  Do you know the brand?

And about that "Bitter Sheep" beer (ale?) Where does one find that?

No idea about the brand. The ale is Black Sheep Bitter from the Black Sheep Brewery, some really great beer. http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/ It is fairly common at good pubs in the UK.

Given the context, a pub, and the single glass of beer I am guessing this is an individual serving of pie. Judging scale here is difficult because of the camera angle. Perhaps the OP could confirm.

The camera angle is indeed confusing, but this pie is not a single serving. It is actually huge, and is at least 8 large servings. It is around 30cm in diameter.

Yes, searching for a gratin pan does give much better results! Thanks! Most seem to have sloped edges though, the edges on this pan are vertical.

Go back to the pub and ask them where they got it or at least find out about the history of it?

It could also be a re-purposed pan, an old piece of cookware that fit the bill for baking pies with instead.

Like this new piece, maybe, which I am guessing could be used for pies and is about the same size as the pan you picture?  (The one in your pic also does not look round but slightly oval instead.)

I was intrigued by Lindacakes' comment that it was a tarte tatin pan, and googled "antique tarte tatin pan." Google came up with this pan on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/198697764/rare-and-unusual-french-copper-large?ref=market

Really a saute pan, though, and it is slope-sided.

Have you seen this cast-iron pan from Le Creuset?
http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Enameled-Cast-Iron-4-Inch/dp/B00005QFN5

You can google "tarte tatin pan" for other possibilities.