• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Crab cakes from an Andrew Zimmern recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/baltimore-style-crab-cakes These were fantastic. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Those look lovely! I am continually on the lookout for a good crab cake recipe. I'm in crab country at present and may be able to score the crab meat to try the recipe soon. Thanks for that link!

Edit: thanks also to Kim Shook for the additional endorsement of this recipe.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Those look lovely! I am continually on the lookout for a good crab cake recipe. I'm in crab country at present and may be able to score the crab meat to try the recipe soon. Thanks for that link!

Edit: thanks also to Kim Shook for the additional endorsement of this recipe.

My pleasure!  We were just saying that we think they're the best crab cakes we've ever had.  As Zimmern said it's just crab.  We're on our own for Thanksgiving and are giving serious thought to a total shellfish dinner.  That would, of course, be part of it :)  

• Like 3

• Soup.  Chicken stock, some water, red-orange carrot, yellow carrot, fresh maitake mushrooms, parsley.

• Salt and pepper shrimp, today's version.  With hot long green chillies, scallions, yellow onion, ginger, black & white pepper, corn starch,  sea & Redmond salts.

• Stir fried baby bok choy w/ garlic.

• White rice (basmati).

DSCN3220b_800.jpg

DSCN3227a_800.jpg

DSCN3229a_800.jpg

• Like 12

Tonight I took Anna's advice (admittedly given for chicken thighs) for cooking steak.  In a pan heated medium high I let a rib steak (half of a rib steak actually) cook undisturbed till a crust had formed, flipped it over, and cooked for three more minutes.  One of the best cooked steaks I have ever made.  The thermopen registered 154 deg F but the steak was no more than medium rare, if that.  Much more red than pink.

I fixed broccolini with leftover hollandaise.  OK, I suppose, but always a mistake to reuse hollandaise.  Always.  The disappointment was my gratin dauphinois.  After such a good result with this dish the other week, I tried to make a recipe with but a single large potato.  The potato layer was so thin it discolored and almost burnt.  Very sad indeed.

But since I am currently experiencing a weeper's joy (William Schmidt) I don't really care.   HaHaHaHaHa.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chicken Liver and Mushroom Spaghetti with Green Chilli Peppers

cls2.jpg

The green chilli had a bigger kick than I suspected, but never mind.

cls.jpg

The beauty of the dish is that it's blindingly quick, tastes great and is dirt cheap. I reckon about 65 cents US or 42 pence UK.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Liuzhou, I love chicken livers and pasta.  What a great idea!  Your dinner looks delicious!

My husband shot a couple of geese and a teal (duck) over the weekend.  Sunday I did the geese in the rotisserie 

photo 1.jpg

The legs were my treat to eat :)

photo 2.jpg

Here is a breast.  Sooooo tender.  Best goose I've ever made.  Only took about 45 minutes.

photo 3.jpg

Anyway, I de-boned the geese after cooking and saved the meat for gumbo tonight.

Andouille sausage from the shop I mentioned up thread.  Seriously, we swooned when we took a bite of this.  Best andouille we've ever had.  I HIGHLY recommend this stuff.

Two wee duck breasts are beside the sausage.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

A chicken liver and heart--the rest are goose liver and heart

photo 3.jpg

Cornbread to go with--I'll use the leftovers for oyster stuffing later in the week

photo 1.jpg

Goose, duck and andouille gumbo 

photo 2.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 19

looks like there might not be any bells in that Andouille.

my clicker-finger's got a terrible itch just now.

maybe there's ground bells in that seasoning they sell ......

dont know what's the matter w folks down N.O. way re bells.  always on sale maybe ?

that gumbo looks soooooooooooo  good.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Tonight I took Anna's advice (admittedly given for chicken thighs) for cooking steak.  In a pan heated medium high I let a rib steak (half of a rib steak actually) cook undisturbed till a crust had formed, flipped it over, and cooked for three more minutes.  One of the best cooked steaks I have ever made.  The thermopen registered 154 deg F but the steak was no more than medium rare, if that.  Much more red than pink.

I fixed broccolini with leftover hollandaise.  OK, I suppose, but always a mistake to reuse hollandaise.  Always.  The disappointment was my gratin dauphinois.  After such a good result with this dish the other week, I tried to make a recipe with but a single large potato.  The potato layer was so thin it discolored and almost burnt.  Very sad indeed.

But since I am currently experiencing a weeper's joy (William Schmidt) I don't really care.   HaHaHaHaHa.

I make single serve gratin potatoes in silicone muffin pans. Its great for small volumes  Put thin sliced yukon golds over a few small bits of garlic on the bottom of the cup. really fit the slices in tightly by cutting them in half and overlapping, salting as you go. When the cup is full pour heavy cream in until it is just up t o the last slice. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes in a convection oven, test for doneness of course.  Let it rest for 10 minutes so it sets-up and then serve.  Pretty fool proof.

Edited by gfweb (log)

a recipe for chicken liver caught my attention. going through my freezer I found rabbit liver and thought I give it a go. Deepfried but into the breadcrumbs I mixed thyme and cinnamon, this will certainly stay within my repertoire

IMG_0835.JPG

• Like 8

We had fried  salted pork with potatoes and heinz beans..   I was  supposed to go food shopping but  no one is well enough to help me, so we are going through the pantry eating what we can find.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

a recipe for chicken liver caught my attention. going through my freezer I found rabbit liver and thought I give it a go. Deepfried but into the breadcrumbs I mixed thyme and cinnamon, this will certainly stay within my repertoire

Nice. I'll try that :-)

I make single serve gratin potatoes in silicone muffin pans. Its great for small volumes  Put thin sliced yukon golds over a few small bits of garlic on the bottom of the cup. really fit the slices in tightly by cutting them in half and overlapping, salting as you go. When the cup is full pour heavy cream in until it is just up t o the last slice. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes in a convection oven, test for doneness of course.  Let it rest for 10 minutes so it sets-up and then serve.  Pretty fool proof.

Here's something I've been doing for a few years.  Hope it's alright to bring from another site.  The original recipe called for using a muffin tin but I switched to a little skillet.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/924644#8458842

Edited by c oliver (log)
  • Like 1

I miss chanterelles - the cheapest I have ever seen them in San Diego was for $30/lb and poor quality

I found some at Costco about a year ago.  Went back for more and they were sold out :(

Shame.

I get chanterelles fairly regularly in season in the Farmers' Markets (at least two of them, anyway) in my parts.  They are very nice at the start of the season (say, July) then deteriorate and in September I've found some of them (as offered) riddled with bugs.  Here's a post with a pic of nice stuff I got in July.  Around $20/lb, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps if you both tried the farmers' markets in your area(s) you might have better luck next time?

The dinner post is like my email inbox - you leave for a few days and your overwhelmed.  What great posts.  I was particularly intrigued by Shelby's Bondage Chicken (just kidding! I've never seen wings trussed that way) Anna N, Ann_T, Eliot Roberts, Mmmmmmmmpomps, and the other MM lot's of good stuff.  

Simple dinner tonight before the onslaught of gluttony.  Zuni (Jody Rogers) roasted chicken cooked on a rack with rosemary flecked potatoes.  The potatoes were placed under rack to soak up all the tasty drippings.  

P1030216.JPG

Last nights dinner was red beans pressure cooked with homemade tasso and seasonings with leftover pulled pork, pork gelee and Conecuh sausage added after the beans were cooked.    Even better for lunch today.

P1030212rs.jpg

Dinner a few nights ago was confit duck, oven roasted sweet potato fries seasoned with rosemary and sea salt served with the last local squash of the season.

P1030206rs.jpg

• Like 14