• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Mmmm chicken, Ronco Rotisserie Chicken! Picked up at a garage sale for $25.00. One easy payment :)  Skin is crispiest as plain as possible: Salt and Pepper and sriracha powder:

1669624_10152405606192703_7684167049319717738_o.jpg

I roasted cauliflower, baby potatoes, steamed broccoli and my favourite roasted brussel sprouts:

10623769_10152405635127703_8344466820250332165_o.jpg

Mandatory gravy for the BF

• Like 10

Mmmm chicken, Ronco Rotisserie Chicken! Picked up at a garage sale for $25.00. One easy payment :)  Skin is crispiest as plain as possible: Salt and Pepper and sriracha powder:

attachicon.gif1669624_10152405606192703_7684167049319717738_o.jpg

I roasted cauliflower, baby potatoes, steamed broccoli and my favourite roasted brussel sprouts:

attachicon.gif10623769_10152405635127703_8344466820250332165_o.jpg

Mandatory gravy for the BF

What IT do you cook it please?

The duck fat is a luxury.

I buy whole frozen ducks and SV the breasts and SV "confit" the legs. The higher leg SV temp renders all the fat.

The carcass gets pressure cooked for 90 minutes and yields about a cup of fat and a cup of demiglace which I keep frozen.

Two meals for 2 for $20. 

And you get the fat for potatoes and the demi for whatever.

• Like 1

The duck fat is a luxury.

I buy whole frozen ducks and SV the breasts and SV "confit" the legs. The higher leg SV temp renders all the fat.

The carcass gets pressure cooked for 90 minutes and yields about a cup of fat and a cup of demiglace which I keep frozen.

Two meals for 2 for $20. 

And you get the fat for potatoes and the demi for whatever.

I have a whole duck in the freezer.  I see a "defrost-ation" in my future.

• Like 1

Anna – your potato roesti is gorgeous!  What’s your method?

Ann – thank you for the Greek shanks information.  It sounds simple and delicious!  I’ll give it a try the next time we have shanks!   Your Yorkshire pudding raises another question:  what do you bake it in to get that shape?  I love the idea of a Yorkie bowl!

CatPoet – I hope you are feeling better soon!

c oliver – that is definitely the perfect crab cake recipe.  Having grown up on the Eastern shore and spending summer weekends with a family who had once owned a big seafood restaurant in DC, I am VERY conservative when it comes to crab cakes.  As soon as I see bell peppers in the recipe, it is automatically discarded. 

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_70661.jpg

Chicken Pillows w/ hollandaise, green beans with vinaigrette and corn.  Working down the freezer in preparation for Xmas.  This is just one of the trashiest dinners imaginable.  The chicken pillows are a Pinterest recipe calling for Pillsbury Crescent rolls and Cream of Chicken soup.  The hollandaise is a mix.  The beans are canned and the corn is frozen niblets in ‘butter’ sauce.  I can’t believe that I dare even post this meal.  And I’m not even sick anymore :blush: !

• Like 11

Anna – your potato roesti is gorgeous!  What’s your method?

Ann – thank you for the Greek shanks information.  It sounds simple and delicious!  I’ll give it a try the next time we have shanks!   Your Yorkshire pudding raises another question:  what do you bake it in to get that shape?  I love the idea of a Yorkie bowl!

CatPoet – I hope you are feeling better soon!

c oliver – that is definitely the perfect crab cake recipe.  Having grown up on the Eastern shore and spending summer weekends with a family who had once owned a big seafood restaurant in DC, I am VERY conservative when it comes to crab cakes.  As soon as I see bell peppers in the recipe, it is automatically discarded. 

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_70661.jpg

Chicken Pillows w/ hollandaise, green beans with vinaigrette and corn.  Working down the freezer in preparation for Xmas.  This is just one of the trashiest dinners imaginable.  The chicken pillows are a Pinterest recipe calling for Pillsbury Crescent rolls and Cream of Chicken soup.  The hollandaise is a mix.  The beans are canned and the corn is frozen niblets in ‘butter’ sauce.  I can’t believe that I dare even post this meal.  And I’m not even sick anymore :blush: !

I had to chuckle over Zimmern's comments.

That chicken looks incrdible.

Kim I hope so too,  I am just so tired  being ill or that my daughter is ill.

I am going to make something with lingon and beef today, I think.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Bay scallop kebabs

The skewers are a great idea. The scallops in my freezer are a little small and I have a hard time searing them as they tend to fall over. Seared scallops on the menu as soon as the TG leftovers are gone!

• Like 1

Kim,

To answer your question regarding the potato Roesti. I followed Gabrielle Hamilton's technique from her book Prune. You need one quarter cup of clarified butter and two peeled russet potatoes. She suggests a non-stick pan but I used cast iron. Heat the clarified butter until almost smoking. Grate the peeled potatoes into a colander or sieve over a bowl to catch any liquid. Immediately tip the grated potatoes into the already hot pan and level them. Cook until the bottom is crispy and golden and then flip with a fish spatula. When crispy and golden on the second side remove to a rack to drain. Season and serve.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Quark is a kind of fresh cheese, made from soured milk. Common in many European countries and Israel - and I know it can be bought in eastern Canada. Don't think I have seen it in North Carolina but would be surprised if it wasn't made in the US as well.

"""  quark """

what is this ?

Quark - German ambrosia... Very popular soft cheese in Germany (and very easy to make, here is a link with all necessary information http://twofoodiesonejourney.blogspot.com/2010/10/homemade-quark-staple-in-german-cuisine.html )

It is distinct different from cottage cheese or cream cheese (which are sometimes used in the US as substitutes). There are a few creameries like Vermont Creamery who are making quark in the US but it is not worth buying them as the quality is very low

Edited by Honkman (log)