• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

I really liked seeing the 'before' picture! You are so creative with your food I couldn't even guess what you were going to do with it. Gorgeous!

Thank you. I was really overtaken by the beauty of these cauliflower this morning. They were just sitting in the basket staring up at me in their glorious spiral pattern. It's sort of hard to describe, but it made me feel so with the world to hold it in my hands and observe it intently. Not surprisingly, it was also the most delicious cauliflower I have eaten. Texture/taste everything. Incredible. 

900x900px_LL_a867c940_image.jpg
  • Like 4

Potato roesti and re-heated (from frozen) lamb chops.

image.jpg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann – please tell what makes those gorgeous lamb shanks Greek!  I love lamb and Greek seasonings and I’d like to try that.

Kim, basic Greek ingredients. Salt and pepper the lamb and brown in olive oil. Sprinkle with lots of oregano and surround with a head of peeled and cracked garlic cloves and a large white onion cut into wedges. Add a cup or so of chicken broth, the juice of one large lemon, and cover and cook in a 300° to 325° oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on the size of the shanks. When the lamb is almost tender, add potatoes, cut in half length wise. Cover and return to the oven until potatoes are tender. About another 30 minutes. Squeeze the juice of another lemon over the lamb and potatoes and serve.  Also works well with shoulder and leg of lamb. 

Mmmpomps,  Love that type of dumpling in stew.

Bangers%20and%20Mash%20in%20Yorkshire%20

Bangers and Mash served in a Yorkshire Pudding.

Porterhouse Steak for two.

Porterhouse%20Steak%20November%2020th%2C

Porterhouse%20Steak%20November%2020th%2C

I had the tenderloin.

• Like 10

It's holiday time....so I've been splurging on myself  :raz:  :laugh:   I ordered lots of goodies from a place in Louisiana.  Among them the BEST boudin I've ever had.  It's perfectly spiced and not too much rice.  The pork is meltingly tender.  Thus, we had breakfast for dinner last night.  

Eggs in purgatory  (my girl's chickens aren't laying right now...they must be on strike :(  so these are store bought eggs.  Such a difference  sigh )

photo 1.jpg

With boudin and hashbrowns

photo 2.JPG

• Like 7

It's holiday time....so I've been splurging on myself  :raz:  :laugh:   I ordered lots of goodies from a place in Louisiana.  Among them the BEST boudin I've ever had.  It's perfectly spiced and not too much rice.  The pork is meltingly tender.  Thus, we had breakfast for dinner last night.  

Eggs in purgatory  (my girl's chickens aren't laying right now...they must be on strike :(  so these are store bought eggs.  Such a difference  sigh )

attachicon.gifphoto 1.jpg

With boudin and hashbrowns

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

Could you share please where you ordered the boudin?  TIA.

Mmmmpomps, Jambalaya is similiar to paella in that it is a rice dish while gumbo is a soup served with rice cooked separately and étouffée is a main course of one type of shellfish served with a rich sauce and is often served over rice. 

edit, here is a link that explains it better than I did.

http://www.essence.com/2014/04/10/essence-eats-gumbo-vs-jambalaya-vs-etouffee/

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

Mmmmpomps, Jambalaya is similiar to paella in that it is a rice dish while gumbo is a soup served with rice cooked separately and étouffée is a main course of one type of shellfish served with a rich sauce and is often served over rice. 

edit, here is a link that explains it better than I did.

http://www.essence.com/2014/04/10/essence-eats-gumbo-vs-jambalaya-vs-etouffee/

Thanks Norm that did explain a lot!

I had a lovely weekend cooking for a friends dinner party. They supplied the $$$, I chased the ingredients and put it all together.

Lobster, ocean trout and Moreton Bay bug ravioli, shellfish jus, chervil and dill velouté.

53 degree sous vide, dry aged Cape Grim ribeye, carrots and beets from the garden, cauliflower and carrot purée, goat curd, baby herbs, jus. (And one Poussin for the non-beef eater).

A trio of mousses, white chocolate and pistachio, lemon, valrhona dulcey. Lemon shortbread crumb. Toasted almonds and pistachios. Baby shiso and chervil.

All in all, rather lovely. Time for a snooze!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

20141123_171304_zpsad8662e1.jpg

We been ill on and off for about a month now,  due to my muscle disease  I am now out of energy and everything feels like  running a marathon and then  climbing mount Everest.  So today  I manage to make  Mos och korvören,   Mash and Cash in English. Served with mustard, ketchup, peas and  Boston  gurka  ( Boston cucumber) it is a relish made from cucumbers, onions, bell peppers and mustard seed, everything is pickled in vinegar and it is really yummy.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 9

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Yes--  My Take on "Beans and Weenies w/ Mustard greens"  Was our first course.. before Cornish game Hens

Broth is bean with carrot, celery, carrots, bay and rosamary, and the dogs ( pre-cooked to remove some salt ) and parm rind

The dogs are either Kats' Deli or Nathans - both pretty salty and was why I added know salt

IMG_7673.JPG

IMG_7680.JPG

• Like 10

Its good to have Morels

and Paul, here is the 17th-century artichoke recipe. From François Pierre La Varenne, Le cuisinier françois, translated as The French Cook, third edition, 1673:

Bottoms of artichokes

Take off all the leaves, and cut them as far as the choke, then seeth them with broth, or with water, butter and salt; after they are sod, take them out of the broth, pick them, and take out the choke; then put them with butter and salt, and when you will serve, make a sauce of very fresh butter, one drop of vinegar, nutmeg, and the yolk of an egg to thicken the sauce; then serve so that they may be very white.

• Like 3

image.jpg

This began as Tom Colicchio's Braised Red Cabbage. I followed the recipe very closely, tasting as I went along. In the end despite my efforts to adjust the seasoning it fell flat. Not for a minute am I blaming Tom. He has his way and I mine. I added a very healthy amount of lingonberry jam, more wine vinegar and enough butter to make it rich and silky. Now it was a fit partner for my duck legs.

These were put in the SV bath very early this morning at 80°C. I pulled them after about 10 hours and quickly seared in a cast iron pan. This is the first time I have done duck legs this way without confiting them. They were luscious. I don't take credit as it is the method.

image.jpg

Duck legs, warm red cabbage and ice cold Akvavit. Life does not get much better.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This began as Tom Colicchio's Braised Red Cabbage. I followed the recipe very closely, tasting as I went along. In the end despite my efforts to adjust the seasoning it fell flat. Not for a minute am I blaming Tom. He has his way and I mine. I added a very healthy amount of lingonberry jam, more wine vinegar and enough butter to make it rich and silky. Now it was a fit partner for my duck legs.

These were put in the SV bath very early this morning at 80°C. I pulled them after about 10 hours and quickly seared in a cast iron pan. This is the first time I have done duck legs this way without confiting them. They were luscious. I don't take credit as it is the method.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Duck legs, warm red cabbage and ice cold Akvavit. Life does not get much better.

I'm very particular about my braised red cabbage too. Apple juice, butter, sauteed onion slivers, allspice for me.