• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

I've been craving Dungeness crab since I saw David's picture yesterday.  

Dungeness crab doesn't have a season here.  It is available year around. 

Detoured down through Cowichan Bay on my way home from work and picked up a couple of crabs from Cowichan Bay Seafood.

Dungeness%20Crab%20in%20Cioppino%20Broth

Cooked in my cioppino broth and served with lots of home-made bread for sopping up the sauce.    The crab was sooooo sweet.  

Doesn't it get too cold in winter?  And that claw in relation to the body looks REALLY small.  ???

No, in fact, for regions that have an actual season it usually starts in December.  So the crab is at it is best I think at this time of year. The picture is deceiving.   The claw is not small in relation to the body.   

Like lobster.  The sweetest lobsters I've ever had came out of the cold, cold waters off of Newfoundland.   

~Ann

No, in fact, for regions that have an actual season it usually starts in December.  So the crab is at it is best I think at this time of year. The picture is deceiving.   The claw is not small in relation to the body.   

Like lobster.  The sweetest lobsters I've ever had came out of the cold, cold waters off of Newfoundland.   

~Ann

As I mentioned earlier, Seattle's season ends on Sept. 1.  But, hey good for you

Leftover Taiwanese cabbage in chicken stock soup, augmented w/ more seasonings & water, baby kale, Benton's Kentucky Farmers' Ham slices; then with "special grade" min6 sin3 (Fuzhou type skinny wheat noodles, very thin type) and cellophane noodles; a couple of hard-boiled eggs & chopped scallions.  The tender baby kale went in fairly late, in fact; otherwise they would have turned into mush.

DSCN3337a_600.jpgDSCN3341a_600.jpg

DSCN3343a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Last night was the last time to make dinner for our hunter friend.  

Started out with some headcheese --soooooo meltingly porky and good eaten on a saltine with a splash of Louisiana hot sauce.  I also made a Knorr vegetable dip in case no one liked the headcheese.  And some deviled eggs.

photo 1.jpg

No one has gotten a deer yet, so last night for dinner I made some stuffed quail with scalloped 'taters, green beans and some boudin.  We have a whole week left of deer season plus another season in January, so there will be deer at some point :)

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.JPG

• Like 9

Last night was the last time to make dinner for our hunter friend.  

Started out with some headcheese --soooooo meltingly porky and good eaten on a saltine with a splash of Louisiana hot sauce.  I also made a Knorr vegetable dip in case no one liked the headcheese.  And some deviled eggs.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.jpg

No one has gotten a deer yet, so last night for dinner I made some stuffed quail with scalloped 'taters, green beans and some boudin.  We have a whole week left of deer season plus another season in January, so there will be deer at some point :)

attachicon.gifphoto 2.jpg

attachicon.gifphoto 3.jpg

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

I really want to live next door to you!  What a gorgeous dinner.  Do you make your own head cheese?  Is there a link to the recipe?  TIA.

• Like 1

I really want to live next door to you!  What a gorgeous dinner.  Do you make your own head cheese?  Is there a link to the recipe?  TIA.

No, this was my first time even eating headcheese.  I ordered it from that place in Louisiana--The Best Stop in Scott.  I definitely would make my own if we ever do another hog, though.  I loved it!

• Like 1

A friend asked me if I had a good beef stew recipe and I remembered one I used to make years ago. I don't know why I stopped but I made it today.  It was kind of appropriate that we had it while watching the football game

. It is called John Madden's Stew.  Cassie is working. She can have some later.

DSCN1983_zps19a42e4c.jpg 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 7

Dungeness Crab again, in a gratin................................

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

This crab is meaty sweet and decadent.  So let's make it a Holiday decadence by gently folding the crab into a béchamel rich with parmesan and asiago cheese and topping it with fresh bread crumbs tossed in crab butter. 

• Like 12

sure Shelby:

make garlic paste first: you need 50g/1 kg meat

put 4-5 garlic heads in a casserol, pour in some water, cover with foil and bake at 160°C for 1 hour. squeeze out and mash

1 kg deboned ducklegs with skin and fat

10 g sage, chopped

20 g salt

7 g pepper

70 ml ice water

70 ml red wine

mix the meat with the spices and grind. then pour in water and wine and knead the mixture until it sticks together. fill in casings or caul fat.

fry and enjoy!

• Like 2

Yesterday's meals.

----------------------

Earlier in the day:

• Pan-fried fish cakes [commercial] (Southern Chinese style, w/ peas and shredded carrots in the cake); with julienned Taiwanese cabbage (raw) drizzled w/ Bulldog sauce & Lingham's Hot Sauce.

• Medjool dates, Old Kentucky Tomme cheese, Kokoborrego "Gilead" cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (going clockwise); and slices of Greek Cristopsomo bread [Muddy Fork Farm & Bakery].

DSCN3348a_800.jpg

DSCN3350a_800.jpg

---------------------

Later in the day/night:

• Peanut oil, julienned ginger, ground chuck [from Goose the Market], hoisin sauce [Lee Kum Kee], okonomi sauce [Otafuku], chilli sauce [Laoganma], cubed firm tofu [House Foods], trimmed scallions.

• White rice (basmati) [Tilda].

DSCN3356a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 12

No pictures today but I just had something horrid.  

I bought these expensive ( of course on sale) corn fed  chicken  thighs, it supposed to be heaven and people rave about it, but it was  grease and slimy and horrible, I couldn't swallow the meat with out gagging and my husband  disliked it , however  my daughter loved it.

Never again, I am going back to the chuck I have normally.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

No pictures today but I just had something horrid.  

I bought these expensive ( of course on sale) corn fed  chicken  thighs, it supposed to be heaven and people rave about it, but it was  grease and slimy and horrible, I couldn't swallow the meat with out gagging and my husband  disliked it , however  my daughter loved it.

Never again, I am going back to the chuck I have normally.

I wonder why they were highly touted.  My favorite chickens are truly free range.  They're out with the cattle eating grubs and all sorts of other things.  Animals fed only corn aren't very desirable IMO.  I can no longer get eggs from those chickens as the rancher has gotten out of the egg business.  That was a sad day as they are so nutritious.