• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Chicken for dinner tonight here too! My awesome guy made dinner tonight so I could paint wineglasses.That makes dinner even better...spicy,crispy chicken, caesar salad garlic bread. And a Cheese plate:

10848608_10152425576927703_8522715943644561316_o.jpg

!!!cheese).jpg

Edited to add: DESSERT:

!!!! (1).jpg

10848608_10152425576927703_8522715943644561316_o.jpg

!!!cheese).jpg

!!!! (1).jpg

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)
  • Like 6

20141204_173207_zpscd98b8d5.jpg

My Hungry Stew   again, all the flavours of Hungary  but  none of the authenticity..... Yeah, we love this cheap and cheerful dish. 

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Leftover roaster chicken becoming a chicken divan/tetrazzini mash up with some steamed broccoli, sautéed shitake mushrooms, red peppers and scallions with whole wheat noodles.  Fresh carrots on the side.

Bones go to make broth.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Only just discovered Diana Henry, a British food writer, and I think it could become a serious relationship. Her most recent book, A Change of Appetite, pushes all the right buttons for me.

image.jpg

Japanese ginger and garlic chicken with smashed cucumber.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Love our Dungeness.  I see you're in Spokane.  Didn't your season start back in late summer/early fall?  Why clarified butter?  TIA.

The season always starts the first week of December weather permitting.  I buy crabs at a fishmonger who chooses bigger crabs taken out of deep waters off Puget Sound.  I like the taste of clarified butter.  Seems cleaner than regular butter but it also takes me back to the way our family has eaten Dungeness for years. 

• Like 3

Several recent meals.

-------------------------------

Chinese kale (kai-lan) w/ oyster sauce & white pepper.

DSCN3297a_800.jpg

Rice congee.

Lots of julienned ginger, chopped smashed garlic, corn oil, sliced pork belly (skin on), sea salt, ja3 choi3 (a kind of preserved mustard stem), water, simmer, long-grain rice, simmer, tau pok (deep-fried tofu puffs).  Served w/ chopped scallions, Tung Choy (Tianjin preserved vegetable), deep-fried shallots.

DSCN3302a_800.jpg

--------------------------------

Duck soup.

Double-boiled stuff (Cantonese "dun tong"/Tun Tong.

Duck leg quarters, trimmed, chopped into pieces across the bone, scalded w/ hot water; dried Polygonatum odoratum rhizome slices, dried Angelica sinensis slices, dried Codonopsis pilosula rhizome pieces, dried Dioscorea opposita slices, dried goji berries, dried longan meat, dried large semi-smoked Chinese jujubes, water, some salt.  All in a heavy thick-walled heavy-lidded porcelain bowl.  Steamed for 5-6 hours.

DSCN3305a_800.jpg

DSCN3312b_800.jpg

DSCN3314b_800.jpg

---------------------------------

Linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] w/ garlic, Cippolini onions, EV olive oil, sliced-up hot Capicola [House stuff, Goose the Market], marinated artichokes [The Fresh Market brand], and Lacinato kale (Tuscan kale; Cavolo Nero).  Seasoning adjusted.  Linguine tossed/cooked down further in the pan, with some of the artichoke marinating liquid as well.

DSCN3326b_800.jpg

The linguine:

DSCN3320a_600.jpgDSCN3323a_600.jpg

DSCN3297a_800.jpg

DSCN3302a_800.jpg

DSCN3305a_800.jpg

DSCN3312b_800.jpg

DSCN3314b_800.jpg

DSCN3326b_800.jpg

DSCN3320a_600.jpg

DSCN3323a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

The season always starts the first week of December weather permitting.  I buy crabs at a fishmonger who chooses bigger crabs taken out of deep waters off Puget Sound.  I like the taste of clarified butter.  Seems cleaner than regular butter but it also takes me back to the way our family has eaten Dungeness for years. 

Really nice posts from all. David Ross the crab shot has me drooling.  Ann_T I have to ask about the art behind the frites basket. dcarch what a great take on the faux sushi/nigiri dishes

mm84321 what's for lunch?  Your dinner's are killer.

huiray kills for breakfast, lunch & dinner and consistently provides all of the brand name ingredient's  to create the dish. 

I got off light at Thanksgiving- Two desserts an I added a savory tart as an appetizer. Dutch apple pie, pecan-chocolate-bourbon tart and a savory blue cheese and fuyu persimmon.

P1030220rs.jpg

This week has been nuts for me (as in my job is driving me nuts!). Last night I went to the grocery store for salmon and bought a really nice fillet of cod that had been marked down.  It's rare in the south to buy fresh cod from a regional chain that is, well, fresh.  Really nice fish.  Add butter, bread crumbs, herbs with local organic mixed greens for a nice, simple supper. 

P1030234rs.jpg

Tonight we had salmon with cheese grits with Montasio cheese.  It  turned out to be a tasty disaster as the grits were to loose.

P1030238rs.jpg

• Like 6

Steve-I think the grits look awesome!

So, our hunter friend is here.  Wednesday night I made duck, goose and andouille sausage gumbo.  Last night was pizza night.  Tonight was chili night.

Cheese plate and other nibbles

photo 1.jpg

Fixin's , tamales and cheese stuffed polblanos

photo 4.jpg

Venison chili

photo 3.JPG

• Like 9

Shelby, our hunting parties were never so elaborate!  We'd have spaghetti carbonara (family recipe) one night, chili one night, and 7-layer "Goodie Bars" (what I called "No Redeeming Social Value" bars as dessert.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I wish we'd been as creative and skilled as you with our meals. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy: Please me the 7-layer "Goodie Bars recipe, it might be the one a  friend's American wife is craving.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Several recent meals.

Chinese kale (kai-lan) w/ oyster sauce & white pepper.

attachicon.gifDSCN3297a_800.jpg

Rice congee.

Lots of julienned ginger, chopped smashed garlic, corn oil, sliced pork belly (skin on), sea salt, ja3 choi3 (a kind of preserved mustard stem), water, simmer, long-grain rice, simmer, tau pok (deep-fried tofu puffs).  Served w/ chopped scallions, Tung Choy (Tianjin preserved vegetable), deep-fried shallots.

attachicon.gifDSCN3302a_800.jpg

--------------------------------

Duck soup.

Double-boiled stuff (Cantonese "dun tong"/Tun Tong.

Duck leg quarters, trimmed, chopped into pieces across the bone, scalded w/ hot water; dried Polygonatum odoratum rhizome slices, dried Angelica sinensis slices, dried Codonopsis pilosula rhizome pieces, dried Dioscorea opposita slices, dried goji berries, dried longan meat, dried large semi-smoked Chinese jujubes, water, some salt.  All in a heavy thick-walled heavy-lidded porcelain bowl.  Steamed for 5-6 hours.

attachicon.gifDSCN3305a_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3312b_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3314b_800.jpg

---------------------------------

Linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] w/ garlic, Cippolini onions, EV olive oil, sliced-up hot Capicola [House stuff, Goose the Market], marinated artichokes [The Fresh Market brand], and Lacinato kale (Tuscan kale; Cavolo Nero).  Seasoning adjusted.  Linguine tossed/cooked down further in the pan, with some of the artichoke marinating liquid as well.

attachicon.gifDSCN3326b_800.jpg

The linguine:

attachicon.gifDSCN3320a_600.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN3323a_600.jpg

I love that brand of pasta, but it all the time.

• Duck fat rendered in the pan, sliced shallots, trimmed fresh duck livers with the marinade as well, cut-up de-seeded hot long green chillies.  Al dente linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] added & tossed in the pan.

• Soup; Taiwanese cabbage in chicken stock.

Trimmed livers [Goose the Market] were marinated w/ Bulldog sauce (Japanese Worcestershire sauce), salt, pepper, hon-mirin [Takara], bit of fish sauce [Red Boat], light soy sauce [Kimlan], freshly ground white pepper.

DSCN3332a_800.jpg

DSCN3330aa_800.jpg

• Like 6

A slightly modern take on beef & broccoli, adapted from the Volt Ink cookbook. Sous vide short ribs (36 hours at 149 F), broccoli puree, sauteed broccoli, and spicy soy caramel. The caramel is fantastic - essentially the recipe has you make a standard caramel (reduce some water, sugar, and corn syrup until amber in color), then mix it with soy sauce. Once it cools, mix in a tiny bit of garam masala and sherry vinegar.

tumblr_ng6dwawCBP1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 8

• Like 1

image.jpg

Teriyaki salmon, bok choy and tomatoes. The salmon was baked and the vegetables sautéed with garlic and ginger.

image.jpg

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been craving Dungeness crab since I saw David's picture yesterday.  

Dungeness crab doesn't have a season here.  It is available year around. 

Detoured down through Cowichan Bay on my way home from work and picked up a couple of crabs from Cowichan Bay Seafood.

Dungeness%20Crab%20in%20Cioppino%20Broth

Cooked in my cioppino broth and served with lots of home-made bread for sopping up the sauce.    The crab was sooooo sweet.  

• Like 7