• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Trotting around SE Asia, I've hit Vietnam with Bún thịt nướng chả giò or rice vermicelli with grilled pork and spring rolls. Using up some of the pork in my freezer and all the leftover herbs from cooking Thai food over the weekend.

PC012038.jpg

Cuttlefish never looks promising when you buy it. Invariably covered in ink and a lot messier to clean than squid. But Risotto nero con le seppie makes it worthwhile.

PC022044.jpgPC022052.jpg

• Like 7

Prawncrackers, I like both meals. Excellent photography. Perhaps you might want to consider being a food stylist.

Dcarch and Ann_T: thank you!

Thanks! I'm seriously thinking about it.

Btw cuttlefish throats are delicious hot seared dressed with sherry vinegar, aberquina olive oil and parsley:

PC032059.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks! I'm seriously thinking about it.

Btw cuttlefish throats are delicious hot seared dressed with sherry vinegar, aberquina olive oil and parsley:

PC032059.jpg

Nice plate, with the map of England graphic designs on the plate. :-)

dcarch

• Like 2

"  cuttlefish throats "

I dont even know what those are, but the look delicious and Id sure like to try them

if they are the mouth area, isnt there a 'beak' there that needs to be removed ?

google failed me completely.

Just one shot of my red wine braised pheasant last night. Most photos of this black mess didn't turn out. Eaten with Spaetzle. The hen was exported by Yorkshire Game but could come from Scotland. Four pellets were found in the bird.

In the braise: smoked pork belly, juniper berries, carrots, bay leaves, shallots, a whole bottle of Bourgogne.

iqQulrG3cjNPH.JPG

• Like 5

Nice plate, with the map of England graphic designs on the plate. :-)

dcarch

Ah the usual, dare I say stereotypical, mistake about our nations. The design is of the British Isles which constitutes Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales (and smaller islands). Sorry I'll get back into my pedants closet. But thanks, I do like this plate a lot. 

"  cuttlefish throats "

I dont even know what those are, but the look delicious and Id sure like to try them

if they are the mouth area, isnt there a 'beak' there that needs to be removed ?

google failed me completely.

When you tear the head off a cuttlefish or squid you would normally cut the tentacles off below the eyes (assuming the tentacles are pointing down), pop the beak out, use the tentacles and throw everything else away. But if you save that mess of stuff and actually cut everything above the eyes and clean away any attaching innards you're left with the throats. They're meaty like the bodies but much more tender and toothsome at the same time. A real chefs treat. 

• Like 1

here is yesterdays Tamale Dinner :

TamalDinner.jpg

2 TJ's Pork w Red, 2 TJ's Chicken w Green, Tj's Black Bean Refried, some Tj's Jack, cilantro red onion.  Forgot the Pico

it was excellent.  Micro'd.  although I cover when I Micro, the tamales were thinking about getting 'dry'  these tamales were featured in 

Tj's thread the other day by Me. These are seasonal and refrigerated, made in S. CA.  this might not interest anyone in the Tamale Belt,

but these refrigerated Tamales are mighty fine for 

me.  Next batch  ( tonight ) will will be heated in the Steam Boy as I think that might take care of any thoughts on being dry.

I also have my Eye on a new bottle to study for M.R.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

here is yesterdays Tamale Dinner :

attachicon.gifTamalDinner.jpg

2 TJ's Pork w Red, 2 TJ's Chicken w Green, Tj's Black Bean Refried, some Tj's Jack, cilantro red onion.  Forgot the Pico

it was excellent.  Micro'd.  although I cover when I Micro, the tamales were thinking about getting 'dry'  these tamales were featured in 

Tj's thread the other day by Me. These are seasonal and refrigerated, made in S. CA.  this might not interest anyone in the Tamale Belt,

but these refrigerated Tamales are mighty fine for 

We live in the Reno/Tahoe area.  I'll have to look for those tamales.  It's one dish I pretty much know I'm not going to make.  Thanks.

They sell out, keep that in mind.  in the R/T area you have to be able to find a Tamale Hole-in-the-Wall maybe

Tamales, how ever made, in my view are one of the hardest dishes to make extremely well to excellently.

its the fluffy-ness of the corn masa that's usually the downfall.

if you get them, try them right away, you might need a new freezer for the second haul.

they are VacBagged inside the plastic outer bag.  youve just saved on a ChamberVac right there

i went back to my local TJ's this AM and got a large number for the freezer.

when Im done w those on a blizzardly day the end of the up coming Jan.  Ill kick myself for not getting more

why they have these 'seasonally' beets me.

I know tamales are 'traditional' for Christmas eve, etc but  ............

Impulsively grabbed some foie gras from the supermarket and mixed it with some leftover pieces of other dishes I had laying around:

Seared foie gras, pomegranate syrup, pistachio crumble, candied quinoa, raspberry puree.

tumblr_ng1cdeOqwJ1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 10

Impulsively grabbed some foie gras from the supermarket and mixed it with some leftover pieces of other dishes I had laying around:

Seared foie gras, pomegranate syrup, pistachio crumble, candied quinoa, raspberry puree.

tumblr_ng1cdeOqwJ1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Oops, thought I'd posted.  Was this Hudson Valley foie and at what store did you get it please?

School's out...school is OUT until Jan.5th :biggrin:

A couple of meals: mainly throw together using up bits and pieces in the fridge:

Marmalade Whole Grain Mustard Roast Chicken - 45 minute meal

MarmaladeChicken1077.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp in Sweet Chili Sauce, Rice Noodles

ShrimpRiceNoodles1147.jpg

Everything Fried Rice: Leftovers: peas, corn, chicken and Chinese mushrooms (from a sandpot meal), egg, char siu, and fresh beansprouts.

EverythingFriedRice1191.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

School's out...school is OUT until Jan.5th :biggrin:

A couple of meals: mainly throw together using up bits and pieces in the fridge:

Marmalade Whole Grain Mustard Roast Chicken - 45 minute meal

attachicon.gifMarmaladeChicken1077.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp in Sweet Chili Sauce, Rice Noodles

attachicon.gifShrimpRiceNoodles1147.jpg

Everything Fried Rice: Leftovers: peas, corn, chicken and Chinese mushrooms (from a sandpot meal), egg, char siu, and fresh beansprouts.

attachicon.gifEverythingFriedRice1191.jpg

That's ONE meal????  Holey moley!!!  It all looks fantastic.

That's ONE meal????  Holey moley!!!  It all looks fantastic.

Good grief No!  :laugh: 

Meals from the weekend and this week. And the fried rice was collation of several meals, to use up leftovers so I can "fresh"...

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

Cider braised chicken from the book Prune with a side of cheesy orzo and broccoli.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog