• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

I made turkey breast tonight.  I fully cooked at 325 deg F earlier this evening and then just before serving threw it into a 475 deg F oven to crisp the skin.  Made gravy for it.

The mashed potato was the problem.  I carefully used a timer but it seems I can't entirely trust my mashed potato memory.  The potato was still a little crunchy when I mashed it.  In desperation I used the immersion blender on it till the motor failed.  Not the best.

I prepared peas by the procedure of Gabrielle Hamilton from Prune:  "...you can happily resort to frozen peas.  I love them and am not embarrassed (sp?) to use them."

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Kim Shook I was drafted to do Thanksgiving next year and I also have a slow cooker big enough for a turkey. I usually use it to keep side dishes warm while waiting for the turkey to get done.   I was wondering if I could cook it in the slow cooker and then brown it in the oven. Have you ever tried that?  Otherwise, i just may do the turkey and have it cut up and ready to serve when everyone arrives. 

MMMMMMMM Kim, that hot turkey sandwich has me this morning!

We went to Mr. Shelby's family's house on turkey day so yesterday I made Thanksgiving at our house for just he and I.  Those afraid of carbs should avoid looking lol.

Requisite deviled eggs

photo 1.jpg

Crappy picture of the green bean tart

photo 2.jpg

Broccoli, rice and cheese

photo 3.jpg

Cornbread oyster stuffing ( seriously, I could eat the whole pan )

photo 4.jpg

Sausage stuffed quail--also on the plate, creamy chicken and noodles

photo 5.JPG

• Like 13

Seared spiny dogfish (a kind of shark) which was transfered to the oven to roast. Flesh is rich and firm, kind of like escolar. I have had the belly of this fish, but then smoked, in far northern Germany (Schillerlocken).

Octopus with samphire was warm. I made a garlicky chimichurri for both dishes. There were also a salad of young leaves and cherry tomatoes, and some boiled 'baby' Roseval potatoes.

ibghf5t7lzp3Ux.JPG

ib2dN8WdDAJwXI.JPG

iIlvwHsMnpn7i.JPG

• Like 11

We had a friend of a friend over for dinner.  So no pictures today and also my phone is broke, but when my phone works again, some other dinner pics will come.

So what  did we serve, this friend of a friend?  Well he is American and only here for five day, so we gave him a proper  Swedish meatball dinner with all the trimmings and he  said when you eat  meatball, sauce, lingon jam and  cucumber together like a Swede, the flavours really work.  He had two helpings and then he got a local dessert, curd cake with raspberry jam and whipped cream.

He was smiling afterwards.

We took as a good sign .

• Like 8

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Most Monday evenings my teenage grand daughter joins me for dinner. We rarely eat the same thing. Tonight I made her duck fat fried potatoes, eggs over easy and bacon.

image.jpg

I chose to make a sandwich from the cookbook Prune. This is toasted pumpernickel, buttered wall to wall as instructed, bitter marmalade applied to one slice of the bread, few slices of bacon applied to the other, carefully closed, cut in half and served. Try it. Beats the hell out of kale.

image.jpg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hey Shelby! Its Ronco chicken night here :) The man did a crazy good spice rub just salt and pepper and hot chili power..red hot ..I made carrot and parsnip mash with a bit of butter and lots of white pepper, steam broccoli and stems, potatoes and gravy for my better half, no pics he snarfed it all down:

10749992_10152420535217703_2008029481303674430_o.jpg

• Like 5

Butternut squash soup

IMG_20141130_183915_591.jpg

We are in a duck rut.

Duck confit and mushroom risotto (that was just a bit too tight, but tasty)

IMG_20141130_190525_320.jpg

Leftover risotto turned into arrancini the next day

IMG_20141201_184800_807.jpg

• Like 11

Norm – I haven’t ever browned the slow cooker turkey.  But then I always make it the day before.  I slice it, put it in a zip bag with a little stock and refrigerate.  The next day, I put it all in a slow cooker and reheat on low for a couple of hours. 

Shelby – gorgeous dinner!  I could make a meal of any one of those dishes!  Oyster dressing!!!  And I love carbs with carbs.  Our Thanksgiving meal consisted of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, dressing, corn pudding and rolls.  I just wish someone had brought mac and cheese :blush: !

Anna – I JUST saw that marmalade and bacon sandwich on “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” on the Food Network and thought it looked so good.  And I have no doubt whatsoever that it beats kale all to hell.  Smells better too, I’d reckon :wink: .

Dinner tonight started with salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_227269.jpg

Then, a nice freezer gift – cheese soufflés: 

med_gallery_3331_114_79176.jpg

These are such great things to have in the freezer!  Just 35-40 minutes in the oven straight from the freezer and you have a wonderful meal.

With crackers, ham and Swiss and Cheddar:

med_gallery_3331_114_60449.jpg

• Like 6

Anna, I think I might have to go for the kale.  Not big on sweet with meats, so no jam or marmalade for me. 

Mmmpomps, that spicy chicken sounds good.

Gfweb, I'd be happy some of everything, especially the arrancini .

Kim, Love the idea of the cheese souffle.    Can't remember the last time I made one of those.

Grilled%20Lamb%20Chops%20December%201st%

Grilled Lamb Chops tonight.

Grilled%20Lamb%20Chops%20December%201st%

• Like 13

Our hunter friend is coming to stay with us starting tomorrow (opening day of deer season) so I've been bustling around getting all the Christmas decorations up.  I will regret doing so much when it's time to take it down lol, but the house does feel very cozy.  Anyway, a quick dinner last night:

Had some oysters that didn't go into the stuffing

photo 1.jpg

And, needed to use up some green beans that I blanched for the tart but didn't end up using.  So, I thought scallops sounded good with that.  Actually, I think scallops sound good all the time :)

photo 2.JPG

• Like 8

What do you do with leftover meat from Thanksgiving and the day before?  Make fried rice of course!

I had a lot of leftover ham, so I cut it up and dry-marinated it Char Siu mix powder, then baked it at 400F for 15 minutes followed by a five minute broil.  Combined that with leftover turkey and pulled pork.  Other things in the rice are eggs, green onions, peas and carrots.

tg-fried-rice.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs