• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

C Oliver – I have not had lamb for a while. I would mind have a plate of your lamb chops.

Huiray – I really like the deep fried pressed tofu dish. Amazing carrots.

Franci – your Siu Yuk looks much better than store bought I had the other day.

Anna N – I have noticed that you have wonderful pasta recipes.

BonViant – What an impressive display!

Mm84321 – I get chanterelles every year from a friend’s farm. They are the same color but shaped differently.

Steve Irby – Beautiful pictorial.

Mmmpomps – That chicken sandwich is as good as J. Pepin’s “Fastfood My Way”.

Shelby – You are making me jealous with all the wild game birds you have been having.

Kim – that is one sloppy yummy pot roast sandwich.

------------------------------------------

There was a competition on another food forum, the theme for that competition was " Leftovers"

This was my entry for using leftover food. It was one of the two winners.

dcarch

Chopped smoked pulled pork Spicy California Maki
Cold smoked salmon Nigiri
Smoked turkey breast Nigiri
Smoked shrimps Nigiri

smokedleftoversushi.jpg

smokedleftoversushi2.jpg

• Like 11

dcarch – now, that is my kinda nigiri!  Smoked salmon.  What a genius idea.  I am not at all a raw fish eater, but smoked is fantastic!

Tonight we started with salads:

med_gallery_3331_114_59457.jpg

And celery and pimento cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_17911.jpg

Noodles and beef:

med_gallery_3331_114_25671.jpg

Just leftover pot roast and gravy.  But very good!

• Like 6

I get a little restless when there's no rendang in my freezer and at the moment there is none. The last of my ox cheek rendang vac packed and cooked in the waterbath at 75C from frozen for an hour whilst I prepared everything else namely nasi lemak and sambal ikan bilis. 

Time to make some more rendang soon!

PB282018.jpg

I sneaked in some fish sauce wings between meals.

PB281995.jpg

The ingredients for a David Thompson inspired Southern Thai crab curry. A lovely hen brown crab just over a kilo that I steamed for 10 minutes, so only parcooked. You can see how fat it is with roe and backfat. Real crab lovers know that this is the real deal with eating crab like this, sublime flavours, predominately sour curry with hints of sweetness and herbiness.

PB291999.jpgPB292001.jpgPB292015.jpg

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)
  • Like 15

image.jpg

Sous vide eye of round, potatoes fried in a combination of duck fat and olive oil and some buttered broccoli.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was a little confused about where to post this.  It was our dinner today because Cassie worked on Thursday and has today off. 

DSCN1966_zps168db075.jpg

DSCN1969_zps08f2732e.jpg

DSCN1970_zpsa0163c17.jpg

DSCN1973_zpse338e95a.jpg

Norm your dinner looks delicious! How did you make the sweet potato dish ( I think its cubed sweet potatoes or yams?)  

• Like 5

Its damn cold here in Calgary! Dinner tonight was a spicy beef curry, warmed us from the inside out :) An online friend gifted me with fresh turmeric, I used it generously in my curry:

attachicon.gif10452982_10152416884687703_1897146901843589290_o.jpg

attachicon.gif10276999_10152416986882703_6872861622040078975_n.jpg

When I was in Calgary, yes, it was beyond cold. My car battery was frozen. 

Food was great in Calgary, and I met with your former mayor Al Duerr.

dcarch

I decided to make a turkey dinner on Thursday too.

Picked up a fresh turkey, just a little one (12.5 lbs) and presalted it on Tuesday.  Wednesday I unwrapped it and let it air dry in the fridge.

Roast%20Turkey%201-L.jpg

Roasted at 500°F.

Turkey%20Dinner%201-L.jpg

Dressing was baked separately.  A combination bread and cornbread dressing.

Bread%20and%20Butter%20Pudding%20just%20

Bread and Butter Pudding for dessert

Bread%20and%20Butter%20Pudding%20leftove

With a white chocolate sauce.

• Like 13

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sous vide eye of round, potatoes fried in a combination of duck fat and olive oil and some buttered broccoli.

Anna,

That has to be the best and most tender-looking round I've seen.

I try not to cultivate interest in yet more expensive cooking equipment I have no room to store, but this photo of your dinner is a very powerful supportive argument for SV.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Rewarmed steamed chicken: chicken thigh slices (marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, sesame oil, white pepper, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce), interleaved w/ Jinhua-type ham slices & fresh shiitake mushroom slices; then steamed in an enameled metal dish.

Eaten w/ skinny wonton noodles & wilted spinach, the steaming liquids (from the chicken) liberally splashed over the noodles and drizzled on the spinach.  Chopped scallions, white pepper.

DSCN3270a_800.jpg

• Like 8

Mmmmpomps, here is the recipe. I changed the original by substituting dried cherries for dried cranberries and orange pineapple juice for orange zest.

Maple Glazed Yams
1pkg. Melissa's Organic baby Yams (16 0z) Peeled, cut 1" pieces
3/4 C maple syrup
6 Tbsp butter, melted
Splash orange pineapple juice 
6 Tbs. dried cherries (Ranier)
1 1//2 Tbs parsley chopped

Oven @ 350
Cook yams in salted boiling water 3 minutes. Drain, transfer to 13x9 baking pan. blend syrup, butter, orange; pour over yams, sprinkle with salt and pepper
 and bake about 30 minutes. Mix in cherries, continue cookeing 15 minutes and sprinkle parsley over top.  Serve

Rest of the meal was Thomas Keller mashed potatoes, Alton Brown green bean casserole, cornbread stuffing, apple-pear-onion-cranberry chutney with cinnamon and cloves, turkey gravy, wilted lettuce, dinner rolls.  Edit, dessert was pumpkin pie with a pecan praline topping and whipped cream.
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

Mmmmpomps, here is the recipe. I changed the original by substituting dried cherries for dried cranberries and orange pineapple juice for orange zest.

Maple Glazed Yams
1pkg. Melissa's Organic baby Yams (16 0z) Peeled, cut 1" pieces
3/4 C maple syrup
6 Tbsp butter, melted
Splash orange pineapple juice 
6 Tbs. dried cherries (Ranier)
1 1//2 Tbs parsley chopped

Oven @ 350
Cook yams in salted boiling water 3 minutes. Drain, transfer to 13x9 baking pan. blend syrup, butter, orange; pour over yams, sprinkle with salt and pepper
 and bake about 30 minutes. Mix in cherries, continue cookeing 15 minutes and sprinkle parsley over top.  Serve

Rest of the meal was Thomas Keller mashed potatoes, Alton Brown green bean casserole, cornbread stuffing, apple-pear-onion-cranberry chutney with cinnamon and cloves, turkey gravy, wilted lettuce, dinner rolls.  Edit, dessert was pumpkin pie with a pecan praline topping and whipped cream.

Thanks Norm! Sounds great and looks gorgeous :)

When I was in Calgary, yes, it was beyond cold. My car battery was frozen. 

Food was great in Calgary, and I met with your former mayor Al Duerr.

dcarch

Sounds like a cold day in Calgary! dcarch the food scene in Calgary has taken off, its just incredible now!

All these recent meals look fantastic!  It's only 8 am here and I am drooling already.  Can't wait for dinner.  Made Yorkshire Pud yesterday from here.  By Elaine Lemm who wrote a little book just on Yorkshire Puds:  http://britishfood.about.com/od/regionalenglishrecipes/r/yorkspuds.htm

DSC_0005.jpg

• Like 8

Ann & Norm – I enjoy the ease of my slow cooker turkey breast and it certainly tastes great, but I do love the look of a whole roasted turkey (and I miss that fabulous skin!!!).  Just lovely!

Mr. Kim opted for a chef salad tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_85799.jpg

The eggs were from a co-worker who has chickens and were so enormous that they still weren’t completely hard boiled 18 minutes after covering and taking off the heat!

I had the meal that makes all the work for Thanksgiving worthwhile:

med_gallery_3331_114_13788.jpg

Hot turkey sandwich :wub: !

• Like 8