• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Shame.

I get chanterelles fairly regularly in season in the Farmers' Markets (at least two of them, anyway) in my parts.  They are very nice at the start of the season (say, July) then deteriorate and in September I've found some of them (as offered) riddled with bugs.  Here's a post with a pic of nice stuff I got in July.  Around $20/lb, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps if you both tried the farmers' markets in your area(s) you might have better luck next time?

The best come from Saskatchewan. Their season runs from around early August to mid/late September. They have a wonderful pepper/apricot aroma, and are picture perfect shape/size.

Screen_shot_2014_11_25_at_10_02_47_PM.pn

Screen_shot_2014_11_25_at_10_02_58_PM.pn
  • Like 10

The dinner post is like my email inbox - you leave for a few days and your overwhelmed.  What great posts.  I was particularly intrigued by Shelby's Bondage Chicken (just kidding! I've never seen wings trussed that way) Anna N, Ann_T, Eliot Roberts, Mmmmmmmmpomps, and the other MM lot's of good stuff.  

Simple dinner tonight before the onslaught of gluttony.  Zuni (Jody Rogers) roasted chicken cooked on a rack with rosemary flecked potatoes.  The potatoes were placed under rack to soak up all the tasty drippings.  

attachicon.gifP1030216.JPG

Last nights dinner was red beans pressure cooked with homemade tasso and seasonings with leftover pulled pork, pork gelee and Conecuh sausage added after the beans were cooked.    Even better for lunch today.

attachicon.gifP1030212rs.jpg

Dinner a few nights ago was confit duck, oven roasted sweet potato fries seasoned with rosemary and sea salt served with the last local squash of the season.

attachicon.gifP1030206rs.jpg

:laugh:  :blush:  :blush:  

I guess it's like 50 Shades of Chicken in my house.........

• Like 6

Shame.

I get chanterelles fairly regularly in season in the Farmers' Markets (at least two of them, anyway) in my parts.  They are very nice at the start of the season (say, July) then deteriorate and in September I've found some of them (as offered) riddled with bugs.  Here's a post with a pic of nice stuff I got in July.  Around $20/lb, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps if you both tried the farmers' markets in your area(s) you might have better luck next time?

Living in Reno/Lake Tahoe, our farmers markets don't really have 'local' stuff.  Our growing season is too short.  I'll check next year for them, for sure. 

Attached is a pic of a chanterelle soup I made with those great mushrooms.

Screenshot 2014-11-25 at 7.09.11 PM.png

• Like 8

The best come from Saskatchewan. Their season runs from around early August to mid/late September. 

Ah, is that so?  How do you get them, where from, how much, logistics (if any), or supplier etc?  (i.e. for someone in the USA)

• Like 1

Thanks for the potato thoughts.  Alas I have no silicone molds except for an ice cube tray, which I purchased because it would fit in my chamber vacuum sealer.

The simple fix is to make a full recipe of gratin dauphinois using two potatoes.  The dish reheats well.

Speaking of which, for dinner tonight I reheated my half steak from the other day in a pan of sputteringly hot butter.  It was excellent.  At least this time I was not only able to cook a steak just the way I like it, but to reheat it as well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpg

Cobbled together from what is left before shopping day. Cremini mushrooms and canned artichoke hearts with cream, pasta and some Parmesan cheese.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pot roast sandwich...tasso...and flat fish...OH MY!!!!!!!

Not doing the traditional Manhattan clam chowder tonight....no car at the moment.

It is snowy here (expecting 4-8+ inches here and I have to shovel) and since we have to travel tomorrow I want breakfast for dinner: blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup, spicy breakfast sausage for me; turkey for him and then some baked bacon.  Any leftover bacon will go into a sandwich for travel tomorrow...can't go more than 1/2 hour of travel before someone wants to know what we have to eat.  And we have a two hour trip tomorrow.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Beef shin stew.

EV Olive oil, lightly crushed garlic cloves (retrieved then added back in later), sliced beef shin (from a large whole shin [Asia Mart]) (browned on both sides), sea salt [baleine], water, simmer; sliced yellow onion, simmer; Russian Banana (largely peeled), Red Thumb & Rose Finn fingerling tomatoes, red-skinned, red-orange, yellow/green-shouldered heirloom carrots, simmer; shallots, dried Mexican oregano, dried thyme, simmer.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN3240a_800.jpg

With a sprig of fresh oregano plopped on top:

DSCN3245a_800.jpg

The carrots, washed & trimmed before going into the pot:

DSCN3231a_800.jpg

• Like 11

Beef shin stew.

EV Olive oil, lightly crushed garlic cloves (retrieved then added back in later), sliced beef shin (from a large whole shin [Asia Mart]) (browned on both sides), sea salt [baleine], water, simmer; sliced yellow onion, simmer; Russian Banana (largely peeled), Red Thumb & Rose Finn fingerling tomatoes, red-skinned, red-orange, yellow/green-shouldered heirloom carrots, simmer; shallots, dried Mexican oregano, dried thyme, simmer.  Seasoning adjusted.

attachicon.gifDSCN3240a_800.jpg

With a sprig of fresh oregano plopped on top:

attachicon.gifDSCN3245a_800.jpg

The carrots, washed & trimmed before going into the pot:

attachicon.gifDSCN3231a_800.jpg

Those carrots are beautiful!  Did you grow them?

Not really a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in my house.

I made Siu Yuk, Origamicrane recipe is super, already tried different times. Double baked sweet potatoes, Bruxelles sprouts leaves and some green beans not pictured, plus I'll be forever grateful to Darienne for pointing me to the cranberry galette last year (my son had 3 (!) slices

thanksgiving00001.JPG

thanksgiving00002.JPG

thanksgiving00003.JPG

thanksgiving00004.JPG

thanksgiving00005.JPG

• Like 16

Deep-fried pressed tofu.  With scallions & grated Korean radish.  Lingham's Hot Sauce + fresh ripe calamansi lime juice.

DSCN3250a_800.jpg

Lotus root soup.  Pork spare ribs, garlic, oil (sauté), water, dried cuttlefish, sliced dried Solomon's Seal rhizome, raw peanuts, large sort-of smoked Chinese jujubes, honey jujubes, dried tangerine peel, sliced lotus root, sea salt, dried goji berries towards the end.

DSCN3254a_800.jpg

• Like 3

b4044298be492936be696cf32527a4ce.jpg

Perhaps not the prettiest plating ever, but it was only for me and I was hungry.

Pan-fried chicken breast with shichimi togarishi.
Wilted lettuce

Rice

Oyster sauce dip for the lettuce and Hunan Pickled Vegetable Sauce – 湖南酱菜 for the chicken and rice.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Beef and Gruyere melt on pumpernickel.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog