• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

SV flank steak (130 for about 30 hours - would like it more rare so will try 125 next time) with butter olive sauce, okra and tomatoes and baked potato.

do you see any advantage in sous viding a steak for this long.. I can't really see the grain, does it disappear after awhile.  i see you added butter to the steak, was it dry or something?  Do you marinate a steak before sous vide or during?

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

Costco rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes and peas.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

do you see any advantage in sous viding a steak for this long.. I can't really see the grain, does it disappear after awhile.  i see you added butter to the steak, was it dry or something?  Do you marinate a steak before sous vide or during?

Each food and each cut of meat has a recommended time to SV.  Flank steak for medium rare was 130 for 48 to 72 hours. The grain is there, just not showing up in the photo.  My husband's family has done "flank steak with butter sauce" for decades so that's all it was.  Just adds a nice salty/butter/olivey flavor.  Good on the noodles also.  No marinade.  It was the most tender flank steak we've ever done - a cut that is always tough wasn't.

Dinner the other night :  Turkey Meal Loaf w Steam Roasted Potatoes :

TML Pots GrOnions.jpg

narrative here :

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven/page-13#entry1996124

this is usually plated w canned small peas.

forgot. smelled and looked so good, who could wait ?

this is one of my truly finest 'seasonal dishes'

Blue Ribbon Dinner Food   at its very best

I think there might even be a Blue Ribbon Dinner in BOS

or near you

My MeatLoafPlate is better .

:raz:

goes well with M.R. TJ's Chardonnay.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

A left eyed flounder or is it brill? Either way it was the freshest fish at the market the other day so I gutted and scaled it and aged it for two days before cooking it. 

PB151808.jpg

A fabulous meal, and I also love flat fish! The fish is probably brill (my favourite, eat it every week). After so many years of eating flat fish I can tell the difference between a few. Those with similar shapes are harder to tell, however.

(flat) fish 3 times a week and I'm on the other side of the Channel.

PS: check dorsal fin (in this case rays)

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Chicken hash.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Wonton Soup Flavoured Instant Noodle King" [sau Tao]; w/ fish ball with roe [Jane Jane] (the roe is encapsulated in the center of the fish balls), "seafood mushroom" [Xuerong] (bunapi-shimeji on steroids) and chopped scallions.

DSCN3189a_800.jpg

Later on: Taiwan cabbage (a type of flat-head cabbage), chicken drumstick, smashed garlic & sea salt soup.  Parsley pinched from the pot in the breezeway.

DSCN3191a_800.jpg

• Like 3

BonVivant  - gorgeous sausage and pork dinner!

David – I can vouch for that cannelloni!  You very kindly typed out and sent me that recipe SEVEN years ago and I’ve made it repeatedly to rave reviews.  I need to make sure that I make it this winter!  I also use egg roll wrappers.  One of the BEST kitchen hacks in the world.

dcarch – love the line-up of vegetables and meat!  Those charred parsnips look especially delicious!

Patrick – good LORD those baked beans look amazing.  That is a whole meal in one bowl. 

Ann – please tell what makes those gorgeous lamb shanks Greek!  I love lamb and Greek seasonings and I’d like to try that.

Dinner tonight was a freezer meal – some Cincinnati chili that I made a couple of months ago and some slaw I threw together:

med_gallery_3331_114_54960.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_129216.jpg

• Like 9

Hey c oliver,

I'm not Mmmpomps, but I recognize "that white stuff on the left" as a delicious northern USA style steamed dumpling. Her version looks like a really good one.

Even though I'm a mostly GRITS (girl raised in the south), I just don't care for southern style dumplings. They are sort of like way-too-thick, gross, doughy unleavened noodles cooked "down under" in your soup or stew.

Northern style dumplings are biscuit-like leavened dough cooked on top of a simmering stew. The lack of dry heat allows an amazing amount of spring, so they're light and fluffy, and they take on the savory flavor of your gravy. At first I thought they might be unappealing because of the lack of browning. Who likes soggy bread?

I still make an old Betty Crocker recipe for chicken fricassee written so long ago it calls for a stewing chicken, that we can't get here anymore unless we're raising our own chickens. It's pictured in her book with chive dumplings, and everyone I've made it for has loved it. It calls for making your bone-in parts chicken stew with gravy, then plopping dollops of biscuit dough infused with herbs on top. You simmer 10 minutes after the dumplings go on, then reduce heat and simmer another 20.

Joy of Cooking has a dumpling recipe with similar ingredients, but only cooks them uncovered for 10 minutes, without the 20-minute subsequent covered steaming. I've not tried it, but I believe they would be dense, doughy and gross to my taste.

Mmmpops post has inspired me to guild my next beef stew with some ethereal herb dumplings!

Edited to add an "s" to It' 

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Hey c oliver,

I'm not Mmmpomps, but I recognize "that white stuff on the left" as a delicious northern USA style steamed dumpling. Her version looks like a really good one.

Even though I'm a mostly GRITS (girl raised in the south), I just don't care for southern style dumplings. They are sort of like way-too-thick, gross, doughy unleavened noodles cooked "down under" in your soup or stew.

Northern style dumplings are biscuit-like leavened dough cooked on top of a simmering stew. The lack of dry heat allows an amazing amount of spring, so they're light and fluffy, and they take on the savory flavor of your gravy. At first I thought they might be unappealing because of the lack of browning. Who likes soggy bread?

I still make an old Betty Crocker recipe for chicken fricassee written so long ago it calls for a stewing chicken, that we can't get here anymore unless we're raising our own chickens. It's pictured in her book with chive dumplings, and everyone I've made it for has loved it. It calls for making your bone-in parts chicken stew with gravy, then plopping dollops of biscuit dough infused with herbs on top. You simmer 10 minutes after the dumplings go on, then reduce heat and simmer another 20.

Joy of Cooking has a dumpling recipe with similar ingredients, but only cooks them uncovered for 10 minutes, without the 20-minute subsequent covered steaming. I've not tried it, but I believe they would be dense, doughy and gross to my taste.

Mmmpops post has inspired me to guild my next beef stew with some ethereal herb dumplings!

Edited to add an "s" to It' 

Ah, thanks for the education.  I thought the dumplings were the roundish, white'ish things.  I also am from the South and LOATHE that kind of dumpling.

First CA Dungeness crab of the season, butter and sourdough bread.  That's all a perfect meal needs.

We were VERY disappointed in the crab.  Very.  Although Costco sold it as fresh, not previously frozen, the texture wasn't mushy but definitely didn't have the firmness that it should have.  And the flavor was pretty blah.  The bread was great however :)

I found some exceptionally beautiful cauliflower at the farm this morning.

Screen_shot_2014_11_21_at_7_18_50_PM.png
Cauliflower with olives
Screen_shot_2014_11_21_at_7_18_56_PM.png

I really liked seeing the 'before' picture! You are so creative with your food I couldn't even guess what you were going to do with it. Gorgeous!

I just got some D'Artagnan andouille at Costco yesterday so Jambalya or gumbo is in our future.  Thanks for sharing.

I would like to know the differences between Jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, paella... It may just be regional differences, I really don't know enough about them. But I know what I like :)

• Like 1

Early dinner.

• Loosely-fried soft tofu.  With quick-pickled Persian cucumbers.

Harm Choy Tong (Pickled mustard soup).  Made this time w/ beef slices & preserved plums in brine (this one; I like these, new brand for me); plus wet pickled mustard (briefly soaked & rinsed)[1 pack JHL brand + 1 pack Dragonfly brand], sliced ginger, salt, rice vinegar [Kong Yen "aged gourmet"], palm sugar, fresh tomatoes.

DSCN3196a_800.jpg

DSCN3197a_800.jpg

with connective tissue/tendons --> nice stuff after the hour-long simmer.

• Like 6