• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Liuzhou – nice plating of delicious chicken breast.

Duvel – Always wonderful photos.

JoNorvelleWalker – That is a very nice pasta with radicchio dish.

David Ross – I can probably finish the entire pan of Canneloni in no time.

Mmmpomps – lovely SV steak.

Anna N – Simple but good sandwich.

Ninagluck – perfectly done lamb. goji berries  sauce sounds very healthy.

Huiray – always interesting recipes from your kitchen.

Ann_t – Professional plating.

Franci – That roasted chicken should go very well with the beets.

Shelby – Your husband is a keeper.

Kim – Mr. Kim is a very lucky guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a few friends for SV short ribs dinner. They all want theirs plated differently. Why not?

dcarch

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

shortribsparsnipb.jpg

shortribsparsnipb2.jpg

shortribsparsnipa2.jpg

shortribsparsnipa.jpg

• Like 12

I made Slow Cooker Meatballs and Tomato Sauce and decided to turn them into calzones and sauce to dip in...I'm pleased, nice quick homemade dough. Stuffed with meatballs, pepperoni slices, parm and jalapeno havarti cheese (its what I had) and spinach:

10818462_10152394962177703_1983703131570560512_o.jpg

• Like 10

Liuzhou – nice plating of delicious chicken breast.

Duvel – Always wonderful photos.

JoNorvelleWalker – That is a very nice pasta with radicchio dish.

David Ross – I can probably finish the entire pan of Canneloni in no time.

Mmmpomps – lovely SV steak.

Anna N – Simple but good sandwich.

Ninagluck – perfectly done lamb. goji berries  sauce sounds very healthy.

Huiray – always interesting recipes from your kitchen.

Ann_t – Professional plating.

Franci – That roasted chicken should go very well with the beets.

Shelby – Your husband is a keeper.

Kim – Mr. Kim is a very lucky guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a few friends for SV short ribs dinner. They all want theirs plated differently. Why not?

dcarch

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

shortribsparsnipb.jpg

shortribsparsnipb2.jpg

shortribsparsnipa2.jpg

shortribsparsnipa.jpg

We did SV short ribs recently and they were fantastic!  Your dinner looks like that also :)

• Like 1

A very late dinner:  Pork, shrimp & XO sauce Hong Kong style wontons [Prime Food]; plus pork, shrimp & snow pea sprout shui kow dumplings [Wei Chuan].  With baby bok choy, fresh maitake mushrooms & chopped scallions in chicken stock/soup.

DSCN3166a_800.jpg

• Like 7

An early dinner.

• Winter melon soup.  With sautéed smashed garlic, pork spare ribs, Chinese mushrooms (far koo type), sea salt.

• Steamed shrimp.  With julienned ginger, trimmed scallions, coriander leaves; marinated w/ various sauces (commercial).

• Blanched big-leaf tong ho (edible chrysanthemum), dressed w/ oyster sauce [LKK] & white pepper.

• White rice.

DSCN3173a_800.jpg

• Like 5

A left eyed flounder or is it brill? Either way it was the freshest fish at the market the other day so I gutted and scaled it and aged it for two days before cooking it. 

PB151808.jpg

Decided to fillet it and deep fry the whole lot garnished with crispy everything; garlic, shallot, lemongrass, chilli, thai basil. A nam jim jaew dipping sauce and plain som tam lurking in the background.

PB171822.jpg

Dried seafood is treasure to Cantonese cooks, here's some white fish, squid, tiny scallops and prawns. Soaked and steamed in a hybrid Canto-Japanese style savoury egg custard. The egg was diluted with bonito dashi and mirin.

PB181872.jpgPB181877.jpg

The som tam made a return with some charred squid thrown into the mix.

PB181875.jpg

• Like 8

I am almost always enchanted by huiray's meals and his recent posting of Laksa instant noodle dishes really had me salivating. I looked for these noodles locally with no success but was able to order them from Amazon.com. They were delivered to one friend in Buffalo and brought to me by another friend in Canada! I admit that this Western nose had some difficulties with the Laksa paste. But I persevered. Additions were limited to what was in my fridge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Delicious. Thanks, huiray.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sometimes, things just don't work out. I should have known better. I did know better, but..

Got back late from a work related  road trip (got to do something to pay for the beer and noodles), feeling razzled and worn out. 

I dropped into the local market. Little was still open. But I spotted the roast meat lady about to pack up for the day, and was able to buy some roast duck.from her. I've never done so before, but I like her char siu and often buy that.

Got home and kicked up the rice cooker. Laid out the duck on a plate. Washed some lettuce. Spooned out some lemon sauce from a bottle in the pantry.  Wilted the lettuce with salt and oyster sauce.

The whole procedure took mere minutes. The rice was the longest.

The duck turned out to be tasteless and very fatty. The skin which looked great was as crisp as a wet bath sponge. The meat totally under-seasoned and well over-cooked. Chewy wasn't the word. I salted and peppered it, of course, but it didn't help much..

IMG_7897-1024.jpg

Big disappointment. (I didn't bother photographing the rice or lettuce, although they were the best part of a sad dinner.)

I knew I should have gone to one of the 100s of restaurants I passed, but just was in a heading home mood. No particular need to be there, but wanted to be. 

Off again on another trip tomorrow. Won't be making that mistake again (until the next time I get over-tired).

Goodnight.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A left eyed flounder or is it brill? Either way it was the freshest fish at the market the other day so I gutted and scaled it and aged it for two days before cooking it. 

PB151808.jpg

Why buy the freshest fish and then age it for two days?

Looks lovely though

• Like 1

I very much agree.

perhaps you know something about the fish-esss that no one else knows

good

get a Patent.  then you can invite me and 

gfweb

to Martinique 

where you have stashed at  lest 1/3'd of your almost MultiBilliooon wealth

( which would have a Fine Cellar )

Id Like to Eat That Fish There

w a nice Grand Cru Chablis  ( Ulta-Cru ?  :huh:  having bought All Chablis  FR   Ill bring the PureFizz )

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Why buy the freshest fish and then age it for two days?

Looks lovely though

We're very lucky in the UK to have some of the best flatfish around. Turbot, halibut, brill, soles and flounders. I find with fish like turbot and brill they actually taste better after a couple of days. When they're super fresh they have little flavour and texture. I wouldn't age round or oily fish but with certain types of flatfish it really works. Good example of ageing fish is tuna for sushi, it's common practise by top sushi masters to age several types of fish.

I very much agree.

perhaps you know something about the fish-esss that no one else knows

good

get a Patent.  then you can invite me and 

gfweb

to Martinique 

where you have stashed at  lest 1/3'd of your almost MultiBilliooon wealth

( which would have a Fine Cellar )

Id Like to Eat That Fish There

w a nice Grand Cru Chablis  ( Ulta-Cru ?  :huh:  having bought All Chablis  FR   Ill bring the PureFizz )

Sounds like you've been hitting the Chablis already!

We're very lucky in the UK to have some of the best flatfish around. Turbot, halibut, brill, soles and flounders. I find with fish like turbot and brill they actually taste better after a couple of days. When they're super fresh they have little flavour and texture. I wouldn't age round or oily fish but with certain types of flatfish it really works. Good example of ageing fish is tuna for sushi, it's common practise by top sushi masters to age several types of fish.

Sounds like you've been hitting the Chablis already!

Lucky you! I know how good some fishes can be in the UK. I lived for 4 years on the other side of the street from Billingsgate mkt, I could roll out of bed and get home with a nice box of live langoustines.

Also skate wings benefit from some aging...unfortunately no nice flat fishes to be seen around here unless I really go out of my way to look for them.

Prawncrackers, my husband would LOVE your fish, me too.

BTW, Pranwcrackers, Hurray or Liuzhou, I need your help for a couple of chinese fish dishes, hopefully you know something. I'm going to post in the Chinese forum.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

The last two weeks have been pretty busy with house guests, visitors and a brides party plus a ton of left over food from the reception but tonight it was just us and one guest and I made country ribs (boneless) baked potatoes and a salad.  Dressing was a simple balsamic vinegar, salad mustard, olive oil and a little cream.

DSCN1954_zps7bf15882.jpg

• Like 9