• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

I agree. It was a last minute decision of my husband.

Yes, c Oliver, I tried in the past with a nice French label rouge chicken.

I was on another site and asked if anyone who had cooked a Zuni chicken, had ever cooked a better chicken.  No one had.

• Like 1

I was on another site and asked if anyone who had cooked a Zuni chicken, had ever cooked a better chicken.  No one had.

Perhaps the context is a *roasted* whole chicken done in the Western style in an oven?  And even then it might depend on individual taste...

Edited by huiray (log)

Chicken soup w/ carrots & celery.

Yes, the soup has a mauve-ish coloration - from the bleeding of the pigments from the red-skinned carrots into the soup when being simmered.

DSCN3144a_800.jpg

Plus some other odds-and-ends.

• Like 6

Huiray's soup and Shelby's fried rice would make me very happy.

Fried%20Calzone%20November%2011th%2C%202

Early this week I used a little of the bread dough to make fried Calzones.

Pork%20Tenderloin%20November%2014th%2C%2

Friday night's dinner -  pork tenderloin in a light mustard and green peppercorn sauce.

Potatoes  roasted in duck fat.

What temp do you roast the potatoes please?

FauxPas, your tart looks soooooooo good.  I'm glad you liked it!  I'm wishing I had some green beans so I could make it.

Suzi, LOL about your cats.  

Fried rice

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

And sticky wings and spring rolls

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

I'm not one to eat fried rice, but yours got me seriously want that for dinner and SOON too! how did you make your batch of fried rice? 

• Like 1

I'm not one to eat fried rice, but yours got me seriously want that for dinner and SOON too! how did you make your batch of fried rice? 

Thank you!

First, a disclaimer--I am not saying how I make mine is the correct or the traditional way.  I'm sure others here have much more expertise, but this is how I do it and we like it :)

It's easy-peasy.  Main thing is to have rice that is leftover--or make a drier rice-- and the key ingredient (besides the rice) is fish sauce.  I use my rice cooker and I don't put as much water in as usual.  When the rice is done, I scrape it all on to a sheet pan so it can cool and "dry" out some more.  Meanwhile, I look in the fridge and see what veggies I have and chop them up.  My usual is diced onion, bell pepper, carrot, mushrooms and frozen peas.  Next I scramble a couple of eggs in the pan that I'm going to use to make the fried rice.  Remove the egg and save for later.  Then I put a glug of oil in the pan and sautee my veggies.  I like mine pretty well done.  Then I dump the rice and the eggs in with a few glugs of fish sauce and some soy sauce (sorry, I'm not a measurer when I cook).  And that's it!

• Like 1

Thank you!

First, a disclaimer--I am not saying how I make mine is the correct or the traditional way.  I'm sure others here have much more expertise, but this is how I do it and we like it :)

It's easy-peasy.  Main thing is to have rice that is leftover--or make a drier rice-- and the key ingredient (besides the rice) is fish sauce.  I use my rice cooker and I don't put as much water in as usual.  When the rice is done, I scrape it all on to a sheet pan so it can cool and "dry" out some more.  Meanwhile, I look in the fridge and see what veggies I have and chop them up.  My usual is diced onion, bell pepper, carrot, mushrooms and frozen peas.  Next I scramble a couple of eggs in the pan that I'm going to use to make the fried rice.  Remove the egg and save for later.  Then I put a glug of oil in the pan and sautee my veggies.  I like mine pretty well done.  Then I dump the rice and the eggs in with a few glugs of fish sauce and some soy sauce (sorry, I'm not a measurer when I cook).  And that's it!

I LOVE fish sauce!!!  It makes everything better.  Not just Asian foods.

• Like 1

The potatoes are par boiled first  and then roughed up in the pan before tossing into a cast iron skillet that has been preheated with the oil.  I roast the potatoes at 450°F to 475°F.  I use russets.

~Ann

Do you slice before or after boiling?  TIA  I roast so many things including potatoes.  But I've only done potatoes in wedges and yours look SO much better.

Huiray's soup and Shelby's fried rice would make me very happy.

Fried%20Calzone%20November%2011th%2C%202

Early this week I used a little of the bread dough to make fried Calzones.

Ann, I was thinking about it yesterday! It has being ages I haven't had one. This is street food for me, only we call them "panzerotti". Your panzerotto looks perfect,  thin skin, not doughy.  The one thing that I like is to use a runny sauce, with makes  more difficult to close without getting the panzerotto to open during cooking and seriously scorching while eating.

My neighbor back home used to make them also with onion, capes, olives and canned tuna (in oil) which were very good. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't share my love for this  stuff. Sometimes I get sentimental, miss some kind of food that is going to be just my memory.

• Like 2

King oyster mushrooms soaked in white wine (Franconian silvaner). Seared, then finished cooking in the oven.  Red sauce looking stuff is actually merquén chili mix I brought back from Chile myself.

The Chilean carmenere thought the mushrooms were steaks ;)

ibffJL3K2TXEhL.JPG

iBGhJ0w8BysCZ.JPG

• Like 7

Do you slice before or after boiling?  TIA  I roast so many things including potatoes.  But I've only done potatoes in wedges and yours look SO much better.

I cut them before boiling.   And I cut them into different shapes depending on what I want.  Wedges, halves, quarters, chunks, or as above just thick slices.

• Like 1