• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

I could happily make a meal of Anna's potatoes and broccoli.

Using up stuff in the fridge:  a take off on turkey tetrazzini.  Whole wheat noodles, chopped up pork loin, mixed mushrooms, pork gravy, leftover carrots and peas baked together. 

Our rescue cats(8 years old) had their first adventure with snow ... and were NOT impressed.  They went out for 15 minutes and demanded to come back in.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpg

Some gifted cold roast beef, paper thin slices of red onion on homemade Parmesan and black pepper bread.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby made a suggestion for a green bean/mushroom/onion/blue cheese tart in another thread. I made it tonight as an appy and it was very tasty. Would indeed be a good choice for a T-Day or Xmas side dish or appetizer. We have quite a bit left-over in the fridge and will probably have the rest for lunch tomorrow. I used thinly sliced yellow onion in place of shallots - still very good. 

Before cooking:

IMGP3369.JPG

Ready to eat:

IMGP3379.JPG

• Like 9

Hello- Today it was a congee, topped with spinach and soy sauce. This was my take on the more traditional Chinese greens and salted chicken :smile:  :huh:

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Itek Tim.

Water, a duck leg & thigh chopped up (all skin & fat left on), sliced & lightly crushed galangal, crushed garlic cloves, trimmed & soaked/rinsed harm choy/syun choy (wet pickled mustard) [Dragonfly], sour & sweet pickled plums (酸甜梅) [Dragon] w/ some of the jelly as well, sea salt, tamarind pulp [Dragonfly] pre-slurried w/ a little water.  A shot of scotch whiskey (I didn’t have brandy on hand and I had a glass of J&B’s in my hand)  Simmer till done.  All ingredients were commercial.

Adapted from recipe P26 of “Irene’s Peranakan Recipes” (Epigram).

DSCN3130a_800.jpg

• Like 3

FauxPas, your tart looks soooooooo good.  I'm glad you liked it!  I'm wishing I had some green beans so I could make it.

Suzi, LOL about your cats.  

Fried rice

photo 1.JPG

And sticky wings and spring rolls

photo 2.JPG

• Like 12

image.jpg

Chicken thigh with canned artichoke hearts and mushrooms.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm trying to clean out my freezers.  I found some shrimp ( I SWEAR they weren't there before lol).  I made some shrimp cocktail out of most of them and then made an alfredo out of the rest.   Not the best tasting, but ...oh well.  We had a salad on the side.

OH and my husband plated his own and I think it's picture worthy :)

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7