• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Anna, I am probably about to make you very, very happy.  Can you spell C O S T C O ???  They come two jars to a 'unit' with maybe 20 hearts to a jar.  They're packed in water so I figure they don't keep forever.  So I take a portion, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then into zipping bags.

I also use this light batter to fry halves of them.  I'm going to stock up for fear they won't carry them forever :)

http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-batter-fried-fish-no-beer-363516?scaleto=4&mode=null&st=true

Thanks. Rather than de-rail this thread further (my bad) I have sent you a PM.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had some fresh mozz cheese that was going to go bad, so I used that with some homemade bread and a few slices of cheddar to make a toasted cheese.....

photo 1.JPG

Along with that a huge pot of chicken and noodle soup.  It's going to be coooooold here starting tomorrow night so I made us some and some for my in-laws

photo 2.JPG

• Like 13

I had some fresh mozz cheese that was going to go bad, so I used that with some homemade bread and a few slices of cheddar to make a toasted cheese.....

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Along with that a huge pot of chicken and noodle soup.  It's going to be coooooold here starting tomorrow night so I made us some and some for my in-laws

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

I really love the food you make...I can taste it when I see it in the pictures you post :)

• Like 2

Following the peanut course, an almost overly unctuous (if that were even possible) gratin dauphinois.  I lost a stick of butter in there somewhere.  Baguette with Boursin cheese.  Grilled rib eye with broccolini, barely blanched.  Bottle of French Malbec.

Dessert is tarte tatin, crème fraiche, methode rotuts.  There is always room for methode rotuts.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

huiray,

Can you get fresh straw mushrooms or are they canned? I've never seen them fresh. And the pork meatballs-home made?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

I intend eventually to buy Jennifer McLagan's book Bitter. In the meantime I adapted one of her recipes which I found online. For the very few ingredients this really delivers. Cream, blue cheese and chopped radicchio melted together and served over pasta. I am thinking even as I type this that a topping of crispy breadcrumbs would not go amiss here.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, oh, no no - the straw mushrooms are canned the meatballs are Venus brand.  I have just put them in above.  If they were fresh I would have commented on it as it would have been uncommon around these parts as you say.  Neither did I grow the celery or negi myself or make these meatballs.  I also don't make my own noodles or pasta.

Edited by huiray (log)

Anna N, oh, no no - the straw mushrooms are canned the meatballs are Venus brand.  I have just put them in above.  If they were fresh I would have commented on it as it would have been uncommon around these parts as you say.  Neither did I grow the celery or negi myself or make these meatballs.  I also don't make my own noodles or pasta.

Thanks. I suspected that the straw mushrooms were canned and the meatballs store bought (the shape was just a little too perfect!). I envy you your easy access to these products. It's not that they're not available here but it's a long drive to the nearest Asian supermarket. I suspect you keep a very well stocked pantry.

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight to eat along our beloved Shelsky's blue fish, two Ottolenghi's dishes a really like. Charred cauliflower (I omitted the capers, used some black garlic besides regular garlic)

image.jpg

And the fennel and tarragon salad with pomegranate seeds (I omitted the feta)

image.jpg

• Like 10

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I intend eventually to buy Jennifer McLagan's book Bitter. In the meantime I adapted one of her recipes which I found online. For the very few ingredients this really delivers. Cream, blue cheese and chopped radicchio melted together and served over pasta. I am thinking even as I type this that a topping of crispy breadcrumbs would not go amiss here.

This looked so good I ran out for a radicchio.  For my sauce I used Roquefort as that is what I had:

60 g radicchio

60 g Roquefort

good bunch of heavy cream

generous grind of pepper

methode rotuts ad libitum

no additional salt necessary

RadicchioPastaSauce11112014.jpg

Bitter is on its way to me from the library.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Gosh, Jo, you've made my day!

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Roasted squash and carrots with cheese croutes.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Making my freezer stash of turnovers/empanadas. This particular crust was too buttery...but they were delish! The left one had cheesy scrambled eggs n bacon. The one on the right is beef w/ veggies and potatoes.

1920132_10204209593111824_78316446265161

I don't generally care for empanadas but yours look fabulous!  That "too buttery" is probably what did the trick.

I made a Bengali curry, trust me I bastardized it, I'm Irish :) Chicken, potatoes, raisins, onions carmelaized with ginger for an hour...chicken. Then I decided I'm sure I can make naan...and well..I could! I was doubtful right up to serving...everyone, myself included loved it :)

10518306_10152382774652703_961531780638147665_o.jpg

• Like 6