• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Choy Kon Tong. (菜乾湯)

Pak Choy Kon (白菜乾; dried bok choy), stem bases broken off & leaves/stems trimmed/snapped into shorter lengths then soaked briefly in cool water.  Soaking water reserved.  Simmered in water (some of the soaking water added in) w/ beef short ribs, chicken neck & feet (for extra "body"), chicken drumsticks (added later), thick-cap flower-patterned Chinese mushrooms (far koo; stems snapped off, pre-soaked), dried cuttlefish, dried oysters, dried large Chinese jujubes, honey jujubes, sea salt.  Low simmer for about 7-8 hours, topping off as needed w/ more of the reserved soaking water.

DSCN3093a_800.jpg

• Like 1

I just had leftovers of the Thai Curry..which were delish! So for dessert I made candied bacon POPCORN...the leftovers the Man is going to take to work. They are sweet, salty and savory and crunchy..the best of a lot of worlds...

1782484_10152375903407703_6435883758787412312_o.jpg

• Like 1

Rotuts' recent dinner thread left me rather melancholy.  Tonight's dinner was a single lorn leftover barbequed spare rib.  That and a glass of methode rotuts, of course.  Dessert was a quarter of a tarte tatin.  Milk substituted for the methode rotuts this time.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm a little hesitant to ask this, but I am genuinely curious - has anyone here had "choy kon tong" before, of the sort I posted just above or similar?  (I expect folks like Liuzhou and Dejah and Prawncrackers have...)

What about "harm choy tong"? (salted/pickled mustard soup)  Or double-boiled soups?  E/SE Asian soups do seem to be beyond the ken of many folks here (there are exceptions) so I am wondering about the experiences of folks here with such soups.

Edited by huiray (log)

I'm a little hesitant to ask this, but I am genuinely curious - has anyone here had "choy kon tong" before, of the sort I posted just above or similar? (I expect folks like Liuzhou and Dejah and Prawncrackers have...)

What about "harm choy tong"? (salted/pickled mustard soup) Or double-boiled soups?

Yes, I have. Not my favourite soups, but OK.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Mahi mahi with a saute of tomatoes and zucchini.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Gfweb, I wish the ducks that my husband brings home had that much fat on them :)  Looks sooooo good.  He's out duck hunting now, maybe a miracle will happen haha.

More scallops over pasta on a bed of spinach

photo 1.JPG

Had a busy day in town a few days ago so I bought a rotiss chicken from the grocery store.  I like doing that once in a while.  Saves me time and the chicken is always good.  Anyway, had some leftover so I made enchiladas.

photo 2.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

As of 12 or 13 hours ago, I now have a daughter-in-law.  They are spending a few days in a hotel on the Country Club Plaza here in Kansas City. Images here (https://www.google.com/search?q=kansas+city+country+club+plaza+more+images&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US504&espv=2&biw=1768&bih=962&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fnVfVImbLoq6yQTTxoHQCA&ved=0CB0QsAQ)

The last week has been tiring.   We had house guests, including noisy toddlers, and visitors nearly non stop for the last week. I probably cooked four or five pounds of bacon, as much link sausage and a few dozen eggs. Made lots of toast and coffee and used about a gallon of Kansas (Lewisburg)Apple Cider.  One morning I made Prairie Puffs ( very similar to Martha Steward Maine Pancakes) and served them with syrups made with maple, blueberry and raspberry plus served them with fresh blueberries, strawberries, apples sautéed with brown sugar and cinnamon, and bananas.  Charlie made Kalbi for the bridal party. I made Korean spinach and we had a few other store bought sides.  I made Killer Shrimp for one meal and  I am drawing a blank on the rest.  I made Korean beef bone soup for my son's mom to have ready for her as a late snack when she got in from the airport late the other night.  She will go back to Las Vegas in a few hours and I can crash for a few hours after that.

• Like 5

As of 12 or 13 hours ago, I now have a daughter-in-law.  They are spending a few days in a hotel on the Country Club Plaza here in Kansas City. Images here (https://www.google.com/search?q=kansas+city+country+club+plaza+more+images&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US504&espv=2&biw=1768&bih=962&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fnVfVImbLoq6yQTTxoHQCA&ved=0CB0QsAQ)

The last week has been tiring.   We had house guests, including noisy toddlers, and visitors nearly non stop for the last week. I probably cooked four or five pounds of bacon, as much link sausage and a few dozen eggs. Made lots of toast and coffee and used about a gallon of Kansas (Lewisburg)Apple Cider.  One morning I made Prairie Puffs ( very similar to Martha Steward Maine Pancakes) and served them with syrups made with maple, blueberry and raspberry plus served them with fresh blueberries, strawberries, apples sautéed with brown sugar and cinnamon, and bananas.  Charlie made Kalbi for the bridal party. I made Korean spinach and we had a few other store bought sides.  I made Killer Shrimp for one meal and  I am drawing a blank on the rest.  I made Korean beef bone soup for my son's mom to have ready for her as a late snack when she got in from the airport late the other night.  She will go back to Las Vegas in a few hours and I can crash for a few hours after that.

Congratulations Norm!  My best friend and her husband stayed there too for their honeymoon.  Very nice place.

You certainly cooked your butt off.  You deserve a lot of down time and a cocktail or six......

• Like 1

Not dinner but an app.  Bacon-wrapped artichokes from Saveur.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Fondi-di-Carciofi

A whole, not marinated, heart and a half slice of bacon.  Put black pepper and grated Parm on the bacon.  Roll up the heart and secure with toothpick.  Fry at 350 for 3 minutes.  I made a little dip of mayo, mustard, lime juice and chopped capers.  These were great.  Next time I'll cut the heart in half as these were too big for a bite.  And reduce the bacon.  These are a definite keeper.

artichokes 1.JPG

• Like 11

c oliver,

I am exceedingly jealous. I live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America but yesterday I spent over an hour in my local supermarket looking for any version of non-marinated artichokes! None to be had. Not fresh, not canned, not frozen, not jarred. GRRRRR.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

c oliver,

I am exceedingly jealous. I live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in North America but yesterday I spent over an hour in my local supermarket looking for any version of non-marinated artichokes! None to be had. Not fresh, not canned, not frozen, not jarred. GRRRRR.

Anna, I am probably about to make you very, very happy.  Can you spell C O S T C O ???  They come two jars to a 'unit' with maybe 20 hearts to a jar.  They're packed in water so I figure they don't keep forever.  So I take a portion, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then into zipping bags.

I also use this light batter to fry halves of them.  I'm going to stock up for fear they won't carry them forever :)

http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-batter-fried-fish-no-beer-363516?scaleto=4&mode=null&st=true

Edited by c oliver (log)
  • Like 1