• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

image.jpg

This has been on my radar forever. Endive, Apple and Grapes from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table. So simple and so good.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pomps--I have one of those rotisserie things too......I hate cleaning it, but I love making chicken in there.  Yours looks delicious!

Franci--You make me wish I lived close to a good fish monger.

Duck, sausage and chicken gumbo for us last night

photo.JPG

• Like 7

Simple late dinner of rice congee.

I did this one a little differently (order of ingredients) than my usual way.  Rice bran oil, loads of minced ginger & chopped smashed garlic, about one-third of a whole large plant of salted mustard (梅菜) rinsed & soaked in water for a short while then cut into large pieces; rice (basmati), toss around a few minutes; water, simmer; short-cut pork spare ribs, chopped-up chicken thigh, simmer; seasoning adjusted; cut-up aburaage added towards the end, simmered till done.  Slightly thicker than my usual stuff because the rice went in early.  Served w/ lots of chopped scallions.

DSCN3057a_800.jpg

Pic of the other one-third part of the salted mustard plant I used.  The plate is 9½ inches in diameter.

DSCN3059b_600.jpg

Those small white crystals are indeed salt. 

The salted mustard is pliable & "soft"/yielding in one's hand.  Delicious smell, delicious taste - very different from this mustard plant when fresh.  One example of where a preserved ingredient is a prized ingredient in its own right, not a substitute for the fresh stuff.

• Like 4

Simple late dinner of rice congee.

I did this one a little differently (order of ingredients) than my usual way.  Rice bran oil, loads of minced ginger & chopped smashed garlic, about one-third of a whole large plant of salted mustard (梅菜) rinsed & soaked in water for a short while then cut into large pieces; rice (basmati), toss around a few minutes; water, simmer; short-cut pork spare ribs, chopped-up chicken thigh, simmer; seasoning adjusted; cut-up aburaage added towards the end, simmered till done.  Slightly thicker than my usual stuff because the rice went in early.  Served w/ lots of chopped scallions.

attachicon.gifDSCN3057a_800.jpg

Pic of the other one-third part of the salted mustard plant I used.  The plate is 9½ inches in diameter.

attachicon.gifDSCN3059b_600.jpg

Those small white crystals are indeed salt. 

The salted mustard is pliable & "soft"/yielding in one's hand.  Delicious smell, delicious taste - very different from this mustard plant when fresh.  One example of where a preserved ingredient is a prized ingredient in its own right, not a substitute for the fresh stuff.

Off topic :) but we're going to SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) in the spring.  Flying EVA Airlines and I understand one breakfast choice is congee.  That's what I'LL be having :)  Yours looks and sounds incredible - as usual.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Wanted to carry over a few of the flavours from last night's dinner (endive, apple and grapes) so tonight was onion, apple, grape and mild Italian sausage.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Its that time of year, slow cooker! This morning I layered my pot with onions, carrots and parsnips. Laid a turkey thigh on top and liberally covered with spices. I find the slow cooker dulls the seasoning. Added chicken stock and bayleaves. Turned on low and slow for ten hours. Served with stuffing and the consomme was incredible thats for lunch tomorrow!10655341_10152372491177703_289960405103652105_o.jpg

PS Shelby I don't mind cleaning the Ronco at all...oh wait the Man does it ;)

• Like 4

• Miso soup.  Katsuobushi stock w/ Hon-dashi.  Cut wakame, sliced Tokyo negi (white part only), sliced aburaage, slurry of shiro miso in a little water.  Sliced green parts of scallions.

• Sort-of atsuage (firm tofu, pressed for a bit then cut into blocks & deep fried) w/ finely sliced raw hakusai (Napa cabbage).  Scallions, sweet chilli dipping sauce.

DSCN3070a_800.jpg

DSCN3076a_800.jpg

I have eaten all the fresh mushrooms brought back from Japan and now I'm eating non Japanese mushroom, too.  Rosemary because I used a lamb stock made with leftover cooked lamb rib chops and bones from the other day.

Tastes like meat and yet it isn't.

irIFAOVuDeCy8.JPG

ivD0dfRAc9mro.JPG

iVpWEzBzzQO4s.JPG

• Like 3

I just Don't know

BonVivant

I do have that same pepper grinder

from So Long Ago

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

everything looks so delici0us

Id gobble it all up 

BUT:

two Reds ? for Scallops ?

well what were they ?

I personally favor Chablis.

just saying ...............................................

image.jpg

Chicken thighs roasted over a pan of vegetables.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

mm84321 - Beautiful bird.  Mmmpomps & Shelby- Fun posts and food.  

Dinner tonight included boiled peanuts and a trip to the freezer for carrot soup from  MCAH. It's harvest time for peanuts in my part of the world and fresh peanuts and fresh corn elicit many of the same responses (and passions). Green peanuts straight from the field bear absolutely no resemblance to the canned variety.  Quick to cook and very sweet they are addictive.  I cooked 10#'s with half salted and the other half with Cajun seasoning.  

P1030201rs.jpg

P1030205rs.jpg

Dinner a couple of nights ago was very simple and very satisfying, Shittakes and arugula from the weekend market with yellow grits.

P1030196rs.jpg 

• Like 7

Tonight, pesto, courtesy of my dear basil plant.  Methode rotuts.  Dessert:  two servings of tarte tatin with crème fraiche and methode rotuts.  Lots of crème fraiche.  Lots of methode rotuts.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Steve, ohhhh boiled peanuts.  I've only had them a couple of times, but I loved them.  Wish I could reach through and pluck a couple of yours out and pop 'em in my mouth!

Chili dog night at Shelby's house.  

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8