• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Prawncrackers,

It takes a lot to render me speechless but you have done so. My jaw just hit coffee table. The oysters you may keep but the duck breast and the eel I would happily help you devour. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Look what I picked up yesterday.

Whole%20Lamb%20October%2030th%2C%202014-

Now in the freezer. A whole Lamb.  36 pounds of free range Cowichan Valley Lamb.

Rack%20of%20Lamb%20October%2031st%2C%202

First meal from the new lamb. Grilled Rack of Lamb

Rack%20of%20Lamb%20October%2031st%2C%202

with home-made fresh mint sauce.

Potatoes roasted in duck fat.

That lamb looks really, really good.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

yesterday, with the little one away, the wife and i did absolutely nothing besides watch the Sopranos, or read, did some exercises, or just hung out and listened to the rain fall.. I left the house one time, in order to run into the backyard in the pouring rain to snip some parsley..  other than that, i was indoors.  

For breakfast i made egg sandwiches.  for lunch, I made spaghetti with garlic, oil, anchovies and cheese..  For dinner, i made chicken tinga nachos with cheese, a quick pickled carrots and onions and an avocado sauce. oh and a can of beans that I cooked quickly in chicken stock, with avocado leaves, some cumin, onion and my homemade hot sauce, that I blended and kept loose to drizzle over the nachos as well.   3 meals, without having to go shopping.  

I came home from work with 20 bucks in my pocket on Friday, the goal was to not spend any additional money besides that 20 this weekend. So far, we haven't spent a dime.  

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 8

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Here are some dinners we have had.

20141024_164006_zpsf572be58.jpg

This is my ground meat, half and half and that is mostly added  fat or it become one with the pan and that is all I get so draining the meat is weird to me.

20141024_170052_zps61dbfeae.jpg

This what it became   taco-ish... but  it was yummy.

20141029_170926_zpsee247b0e.jpg

Autumn soup,  with pork, neeps, celeriac,  kohlrabbi, carrot, parsnip and potato dumpling in a pork broth.

20141031_171700_zpsb38822ec.jpg

Do you think my Taquitos,  looks weird?  Well you are right, they are made with spring roll wraps  due to the tortillas being  horrid, even though I bought then from the Mexican bakery, gritty, stale and weird.  So waste not want not kicked in and I used left over  spring roll wraps instead.

20141101_173833_zpsa93dec1a.jpg

Apple and sponge pudding,

20141102_173122_zps5dd60671.jpg

todays dinner, meatloaf mash and vegs.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Here's a recipe I adapted out of the Uchi cookbook - Hamachi crudo with pickled shallots, Kaffir lime oil, quick-cured (salted) cucumbers, Yuzu juice, mint, and Jalapeno. The pickled shallots were great - the pickling juice called for a good amount of sugar, and the sweetness paired well with the Hamachi.

tumblr_nefk6e5nnk1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 5

Here's a dessert I made from the same Uchi Cookbook. A little unconventional, but it turned out surprisingly well:

Roasted tomato sorbet with goat cheese custard, pistachio crumble, confit Cherub tomatoes, tomato paper, sherry vinegar syrup, and tomato salt.

tumblr_nefldkeNtR1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 4

To make it you blend tomatoes (de-seeded and skin removed), egg whites, and corn syrup in a ratio of 2:1:1 (by weight), then spread out the resulting foam onto a sheet of acetate (or another non-stick, flat surface). Then I simply put it in a dehydrator overnight and broke it into shards.

http://youtu.be/Aae_RHRptRg

today, 50 k people ran by my front door.

15511009140_2bfd6bcace_z.jpg

for starters my friend brought scones. we had the over preheated to 400 and we baked 2 different kinds. then, a few hours later we drank prosecco and eggs in purgatory.

15695805605_d084136929_z.jpg

15672098346_0d5257c290_z.jpg

made a green chile pork, with hatch green peppers, chicken stock, pork shoulder, tomatillos, avocado leaves, onions, masa, onions, cumin few other things.

15076462543_ce1ffa442c_z.jpg

later on in the day, an oven baked stinky cheese with a little sweet wine and capers.

15672095896_df9ee90d68_z.jpg

• Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

After a very long day in the big city poached eggs on toast was just within my energy limit. At 7:04 we were still on the road and at 7:23 I was eating!

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

basquecook - My kind of marathon.  It's obvious that your year-round training has paid off.  

Prawncrackers & Ann_T - Both of those meals are so beautifully presented.  Ya'll really have the knack for letting the ingredients shine.

dcarch - I have a new found respect for vegetables after your various posts.  Actually I'm been having vegetable nightmares.  

In keeping with the simple and sustainable theme.  Eggplant with homemade quanciale  from earlier in the week. 

P1030184rs.jpg

And from deep in the freezer a few packs of homemade feta sausage. 

P1030190rs.jpg

• Like 7

Sunday is prep day for the week of lunches. I made a chicken stock for a lentil, veggie soup. I am making a second stock to see how that goes (part two of the same carcass) Dinner was sous vide steak. The high light of this was the garlic we sous vide'd with the steak. Just an incredibly, delicious, intense garlic flavour. Smashed PEI potatoes. I was lacking a veggie....the soup will make up for it!

10679880_10152367543252703_552908327065750206_o.jpg

• Like 9

We normally don't eat steak two nights in a row but we are having a blast with the Anova! I made minted basmati rice with peas for the side:

attachicon.gif1909148_10152354628207703_707335772076431296_o.jpg

The meat flavour is so intense, the meat is incredible tender. We are having a blast with the Anova:

attachicon.gif1957845_10152354650742703_3836734432602217012_o.jpg

We made short ribs for the first time recently and that's what we kept commenting on - the intensity of the flavor.

Sunday is prep day for the week of lunches. I made a chicken stock for a lentil, veggie soup. I am making a second stock to see how that goes (part two of the same carcass) Dinner was sous vide steak. The high light of this was the garlic we sous vide'd with the steak. Just an incredibly, delicious, intense garlic flavour. Smashed PEI potatoes. I was lacking a veggie....the soup will make up for it!

Did you just put the whole cloves in the bag with the meat?  Sounds great.

The lady and me have been watching the Sopranos from Season 1. i don't know if I mentioned it here but, it has us in the Italian American Mode. With some of the leftover "gravy" from yesterday, we just made a quick rigatoni w/ sausage

15085977223_862d25ab15_z.jpg

This was one reminded Miss A of her grandmother.. a lot of their meals, had a large scoop of Ricotta. I like the contrast of the hot and cold, in addition to the cream. The bottle of wine we drank was a little more fancy.

15085377234_746c40d9ca_z.jpg

• Like 7

• Spaghetti [Garofalo] w/ Hazan tomato sauce, made w/ a can of San Marzano tomatoes.  Pecorino Romano.

• Standard mushrooms sautéed w/ olive oil & parsley.

attachicon.gifDSCN3052a_800.jpg

Is it my imagination that when you 'stray' from Asian food that you head to Italian?  Everything looks wonderful. BTW, got 'banned' from you know where.  I think I "ran with scissors" :)

I had barbequed pork ribs (left over from last fall a year ago when I cut up my thumb).  Surprisingly good, considering.  Spicy coleslaw and roast fingerling (not fingers) potatoes.

The pork was cooked sous vide a while ago and finished tonight with barbeque sauce.  Yum.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is it my imagination that when you 'stray' from Asian food that you head to Italian?  Everything looks wonderful. BTW, got 'banned' from you know where.  I think I "ran with scissors" :)

It's mostly true that I head for Italian (whatever region) or Italian-inspired when I don't do E/SE/S Asian - but I *do* do other things as well.

Thanks.

Heh.  Oh well.  That place has become so stuffed w/ ads nowadays anyway it actually freezes my browser sometimes.

• Like 2