• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

gfweb

Carne enchiladas tacos and sesina tacos. Raw onion, cilantro, homemade salsa and avocado spread.

How do you prepare your meat for the sesina (am I wrong spelling it cecina?) tacos? I looked at Rick Bayless' instructions for preparing the pork and it looked kind of tricky. Or am I talking about the same thing? 

The cecina I just bought at my local bodega. The enchilada was a mix of guajillo and ancho chiles with cinnamon and garlic and cloves,cider vinegar, a little lime juice and cumin. Had it marinating since. Friday.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

It's been a couple of rough months (over 60 - new job) since I posted but I'm still cooking and inspired by all of the great meals on this thread. A few meals of late:

A great leftover mish-mash of grilled salmon and pasta with remoulade sauce thinned with heavy cream. 

P1030112rs.jpg

Duck confit (prepared sous vide at least 9 months ago ) , grilled salmon, grilled chicken and potatoes anna.

P1030116rs.jpg

with roasted cauliflower with a feta/heavy cream/sage/oregano rub.

P1030117rs.jpg

Tonight was an adaptation of a Martha Stewart recipe with roasted peppers and feta over barley.  With the exception of the barley the other items were prepared on the grill.  

P1030178rs.jpg

• Like 12

Glad to see you, Steve!  That cauliflower looks soooooo good.  

Anne, beautiful pizza as always.

I'm still stringing out our garden tomatoes.  

BLT's

photo 1.JPG

I cracked open a jar of tomato juice that I canned and made a cream of tomato soup to go with

photo 2.JPG

• Like 13

Tonight, the family made tacos again.  cecina and carne enchiladas.  The little one added shredded mozzarella that we had used in the manicotti filling to her taco.. 

I have had a bad cold these last few days.. last night, i made a chicken stock with a tray of chicken feet and a tray of chicken backs.  Threw in some parsnips, a tube of tomato paste, 3/4 bottle of wine (vinho verde) leeks, onion, carrot, thyme and celery.  Cooked that from 3 pm until 1 am.  Strained.  Tonight, i took some of the stock and added soy sauce, black vinegar, miso, dried seaweed, gochujang, chinese fermented beans, a couple of dried peppers and let that cook.. eventually added shredded cabbage and fideos.  it's a spicy and salty soup that I usually make when i am sick.  

• Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Thanks Scubabdoo.

Steve, nice to see you posting.  I always enjoy your dinner photos.

Pizza%20October%2028th%2C%202014-L.jpg

Pizza%20October%2028th%2C%202014%202-L.j

Pizza tonight.  

Burger%20and%20Fries%20October%2025th%2C

Burgers and fries a couple of nights ago.  The fries were double fried.

I think I need that pizza dough recipe.

• Like 1

Dinner this evening was into parts. Early on I had this salad which incorporated some navy beans. I dislike beans but for dietary reasons I'm trying to incorporate into my diet. These were dried beans that I soaked and cooked before to seeing them together with some other ingredients and a dressing and since everything goes better with bacon…

image.jpg

Then later in the evening I had this interpretation of Tonkatsu.

image.jpg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Its a weeknight and I need to go to the gym...I made doctored up Paul Newman Spaghetti Sauce.....It actually was pretty OK +

11574_10152360016232703_9055926849216131107_n.jpg...this is not my forte but it was good, flavorful, I added mushrooms halal ground beef and my spices:

• Like 7

Thanks for the Crepes – thank you!  I got the haricot vert at Whole Foods, which you have in Cary.  Fresh Market usually has them, too.  Thanks to Toliver, you got the link for the recipe!

Basquecook – your fried chicken method is very similar to mine, but I cook at a higher temperature.  I will try your lower temp method next time.  Do you deep fry or pan fry?  I always pan fry (except for the one time I did enough for 20+ in a turkey fryer) and end up with almost burnt places where it touches the pan.  I’m thinking that your lower temp might help that!

Paul – thank you for the scallop information.  It looked wonderful and I’ll use that method next time I make scallops!

Chris – now I wish I could find some pork cheeks. 

Ann – every single one of your meals look delicious, but your roasted chicken dinner has me dreaming of Thanksgiving!!!  I can’t wait.

Shelby – Gorgeous sear on your scallops!  Also, your breaded tomatoes sound a LOT like my Scalloped Tomatoes: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/VEGETABLES/Scalloped_Tomatoes.html

Steve – good to see you back!  Hope things go well for you and it’s great that you are cooking such lovely looking food!

Tonight was panko coated pork chops with fig/mustard sauce, creamy noodles (don’t ask – guilty pleasure of Mr. Kim’s) and Brussels sprouts:

med_gallery_3331_114_14200.jpg

• Like 7

I deep fry. I have a deep fryer built into my counter top, so it's super easy for me to deep fry. I deep fry at a low temp so there are no burns or uneven cooking. It gets just as crispy , it just allows the inside to cook too.

• Like 1

EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, chopped thinly-sliced Jamón Serrano, hot red chile flakes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes (jarred), with some of the oil; sliced standard mushrooms, roughly-chopped broccoli rabe, dried thyme; halved artichoke hearts (canned); al dente thin spaghetti & fedelini, tossed & mixed in the pan w/ reserved pasta water.

DSCN3020a_800.jpg

• Like 10

Basquecook, that is an AWESOME meat slicer.  Makes mine look extremely puny.

Weathervane scallops last night over pasta with alfredo.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Shelby, how did you do those scallops, please? I have a pound or so about that size, presently frozen. I should cook them soon. I'd like to do them justice.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, chopped thinly-sliced Jamón Serrano, hot red chile flakes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes (jarred), with some of the oil; sliced standard mushrooms, roughly-chopped broccoli rabe, dried thyme; halved artichoke hearts (canned); al dente thin spaghetti & fedelini, tossed & mixed in the pan w/ reserved pasta water.

attachicon.gifDSCN3020a_800.jpg

This looks so good! And I have all of the ingredients but for the ham and the fedelini. Neither of these will hold me back. Without disparaging it in anyway it is what I would consider an empty the fridge meal. Something that can easily tolerate substitutions.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby, how did you do those scallops, please? I have a pound or so about that size, presently frozen. I should cook them soon. I'd like to do them justice.

After I thawed mine out I patted them with paper towels and made sure they were super dry.  Then I seasoned with s and p--I might have used a little truffle salt too.  Then I put about a TB of butter and a TB or so of olive oil in a skillet and got it smoking hot.  Next put those lovely scallops in and don't move 'em until you start seeing brown around the edges.  These were fairly thick and big so it was like 3-4 mins probably.  Then I used tongs to flip 'em over.  I don't leave quite as long on the other side because you don't want to make them tough.  Probably 1-2 mins.  

Now I'm hungry for scallops again  :blink:

• Like 2

This looks so good! And I have all of the ingredients but for the ham and the fedelini. Neither of these will hold me back. Without disparaging it in anyway it is what I would consider an empty the fridge meal. Something that can easily tolerate substitutions.

Thanks!  

Yes, true, this qualifies as an "empty out the fridge dish" and I have done variations upon that now and then too. :-)  In this specific case it was a bit of that and a bit of "planned dish", however.  I did have broccoli rabe I needed to use up...I had guanciale, which I was intending for some spaghetti carbonara...but also had the sliced Jamón Serrano sitting in the meats drawer.  So - I decided it would be broccoli rabe and the Jamón Serrano and pasta...although with broccoli rabe and pasta I often use something like capicola; but pasta + broccoli rabe + a dried ham or salumi-type sausage --> broccoli rabe + artichokes + sun-dried tomatoes as a favored combination for me.  Nope, no sun-dried tomatoes in my larder - I fished out a can of San Marino tomatoes instead...but nope, I thought I had the artichokes but did not after all.  I suppose my mind was now fixating on my favored "trinity" so the can of S.M. tomatoes went back into the pantry, I put my pants on and picked up my car keys...and as they say the rest is history.

ETA: As for the thin spaghetti + fedelini mix, well I didn't have quite enough thin spaghetti left in the opened box in the cupboard - so I used some fedelini (opened box) as well, which is not too dissimilar in sizing to the thin spaghetti.  I just staggered the additions of each to the boiling salted water accordingly.  :-) 

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

I think I need that pizza dough recipe.

David, I use my regular dough for pizza,  but give it an extra day or two fermentation in the fridge.

Basic recipe is 1000g flour, 680g to 720g water, 4g yeast and 26g salt.    The dough was made on Sunday night. (actually a 1500g batch)  and I baked bread with 2/3rds of the dough on Monday, and remaining dough went back into the fridge until Tuesday. Baked pizza and another large loaf of bread with the remaining dough.   Baked  on the grill in a Bakerstone Pizza oven.

• Like 1