• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook for Casseroles

Darienne

Recently took a big casserole cookbook out of our local library.  Taste of Home Casseroles.   Lots of lovely photos and over 400 recipes.  Alas, many of the recipes call for cans of cream of this soup and that soup, packages of instant rice and potato mixes, refrigerated rolls and so on.  And almost all the recipes were very North American. 

Not that I am damning these ingredients to the nether realms...I just want to know: where are the good casserole cookbooks?  Are there any?  Who has a title for me?  

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook, by Clifford Wright
and
The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever, by Beatrice Ojakangas

are two that I have enjoyed.  As I recall they both rely more heavily on fresh ingredients. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Although not labeled "casserole," I've had great luck with various cookbooks for "clay pot cookery." Many of these recipes call for baking in some sort of what is essentially a casserole dish - cazuela or romertopf.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks Smithy and Jaymes.

Not fond of cookbooks with NO pictures alas.  The second one named sounds good.

Jaymes...can you give me one or two titles, please.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/076457633X?pc_redir=1414049570&robot_redir=1

And this one, too, by Jacobi:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0002250519/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1

You can also find so many wonderful recipes for a traditional cassoulet and adapt them to whatever ingredients you like, or have access to or, frustratingly enough, do not have access to.

And, although I know it's not a book, here's a recipe for one of my personal favorite casseroles - the one I always take to neighbors that find themselves in need of a little extra looking after (scroll down for my Ham and Potato Casserole):

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/86548-recipe-help-please/

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks Jaymes.  And thanks for the recipe.   I can't abide ham...long story from childhood...but I do eat chicken.  And I am going to think about pork which has become my go-to meat.

Thanks again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Darienne

I recently bought a good casseroles book called 

The Ultimate Casseroles Book by Better Homes and Gardens - ISBN 97811180200357

It is 478 pages and beautifully printed with many photos

It does have an American slant but I have not found any trouble with substitutions here in Australia

Neil

Found Bake Until Bubbly in the downtown library today and so now I'll sit and give it a good lookover.   Thanks Smithy

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Found Bake Until Bubbly in the downtown library today and so now I'll sit and give it a good lookover.   Thanks Smithy

if you like the book you should also give Clifford Wright other books a lookover. I like in particular his "Real Stews" and "The best Soups of the World" which nicely covers stews and soups from all around the world with many normally not covered examples.

Thanks again all.  I'm not sure how to go about finding Cooks Illustrated Specialty Cookbooks. 

I've been looking over Bake until Bubbly and although I made a vow a couple of years ago not to buy any more cookbooks...and I've pretty much kept it...I just might break down and get it.  It is more international than I had thought.  Just doesn't use the language of the recipe in the title usually.  Thanks again, Smithy.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I also have 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811856240/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0811856240&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20

and have enjoyed it.   i have some of the older Test Kitchen books , Cover and Bake, Skillet etc and although Ive enjoyed them

when I got them, their business plan seems to be to take a good idea and publish it in as many books / magazines as they can 

not letting you know there is very little new in these books.  My library system has them all so I look there .

this also helps w the temptations to buy more books.

• Like 1

Darienne--I have never found that a "subject" cookbook yields more than two or three good recipes.  Why don't you start a thread on this forum like "My favorite casserole/one dish meal recipe" and see what  you get.  I'll contribute.

• Like 2

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Have to report that I made a dessert casserole from Bake Until Bubbly. Cranberry-Apple-Walnut Crisp.  Delicious.  Just might give in and buy the book.  Am quite impressed with it.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

Here is a link to season 3, episode 7 of " A Chef's Life", our homegrown gal, Vivian Howard's series. The episode title is "A Casserole Says Plenty", and it originally aired on Oct. 13, 2015, but is being offered in reruns on our local PBS station.

She makes a fancied up version of the green bean casserole that I have failed at when I tried to replicate the convenience food version when trying to hit that holiday comfort food spot, so I gave up, but there are others in there too, and it's worth a watch, I think.

Also her version of the iconic casserole is really fancied up with shitakes, ham stock and buttermilk marinated fried onions, and she's a chef, and I'm a home cook. I haven't tried her version, but it looks tempting.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I tried one Christmas doing a "homemade" version of that green bean casserole. Damned if it was any better than the Campbell's golden mushroom soup version. One of the three dishes for which I use canned soup.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I tried one Christmas doing a "homemade" version of that green bean casserole. Damned if it was any better than the Campbell's golden mushroom soup version. One of the three dishes for which I use canned soup.

Yup, I may get my eG credentials revoked, but the "gourmet" versions just aren't as popular as the convenience ones when your're trying to hit the traditional comfort zone of people who grew up on it for holidays. While Vivian's buttermilk fried onions looked like they would be most delicious one their own, I sincerely doubt they could keep the crispness of the French's version in that application. People want family and familiarity on holidays.

She's an awesome chef, though, with a James Beard award, so if anyone could pull it off, my money would be on her. :)

> ^ . . ^ <