• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Methode Rotuts

JoNorvelleWalker

it would be much easier for me to get a Red iSi  that was 750 cc

w one charger for the dead space .........

but tomorrow. 

when Im less Fizzy  

and have dug out one WoodPile

Ill get something for sure

any sales anywhere for Tomorrow ?

suprise.gif.5e3c922e05fe3b0ca5301dd2a4be37f1.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am confused.  For the 1 quart iSi the max. filling volume is specified as 1 liter, and a liter of liquid comes to the max fill line marked on the vessel.  There is headspace above that.  Why would you use only 500 ml?

I was confused; I think the minimum volume is 500ml. Please ignore.

Notes from the underbelly

I am interested in carbonating wine, but like the idea of using a 5 LB CO2 bottle, regulator and hose system. It looks like you could put one together using parts from Amazon or eBay for about $100. Anyone tried it? It seems like you could do thousands of bottles from 1 tank and the cost about $20 to refill.

HC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFvw4CVKgY

Edited by HungryChris (log)

very interesting vid

thanks

a lot of emphasis on saving money , something I respect

however , No Wine was mentioned 

Im wondering if the PureFizz no longer exists , except on ebay because of liability issues.

the 750 cc and 1 L model require you to release the pressure before you open it

or Bad Stuff will Happen , perhaps to your Eye ?

so Id go with other the PureFizz  ( 750 if you can get it new ) or the iL

or just go with the iSi

the initial investment is high , and its not fool proof esp after

you have a few " toots ' of the MR

make sure you understand what these pressure might do to you if you don't pay attention.

Forcing CO2 into solution is easy... you don't need anything more than a good source of CO2, and a pressurized vessel.  A 10lb CO2 refill at my local welding shop (where I've become a regular over the past decade or more) costs $22... That provides me with about 6 months worth of all the carbonated beverages I might desire.  Since I'm a homebrewer, I've got a heap of 5 gallon kegs, two of which are dedicated to seltzer duty and reserve seltzer duty.  I've also got a few "carbonator caps", widgets that have the same connector as the kegs do, but then screw onto 1 or 2L soda bottles.  Put whatever you want into the soda bottle (I use plain seltzer bottles because soda flavors can cling), chill it down to 33F,  hit it with 50PSI of CO2 and shake for a minute, and you've got a lovely bottle of  fizzy stuff.  

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Agreed forcing CO2 into solution is easy.  But I can't unsee photographs of pressure vessel parts embedded in concrete blocks.  I'd gladly pay people like iSi who have thought about these things.  I pay $125 for a case of thirty boxes of CO2 chargers that last me over a year.

Plus I don't have space for the Dave Arnold infrastructure.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou