• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

JoNorvelleWalker

Methode Rotuts

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Ok so what exactly is the point here? To make crappy wine somehow drinkable? And to get the drinker drunk? I know carbonation enhances people's reaction to alcohol. Why not just buy a good, drinkable wine? Isn't this on par with adding bubbles to coffee to get the caffeine high faster? Crappy wine is crappy wine. Is this a budget issue? 

Partly it might be a budget issue. But I like the idea to carbonate wines that usually would not be developed into sparkling wine. Finding a good sparkling Riesling is a pain, finding a good Riesling and carbonating it rather easy.

Damn. I just put one kitchen tool more on my next home leave shopping list. Thanks Rotuts ...

• Like 4

"   crappy wine somehow drinkable  ""   is always going to be crappy.

as menitoned , its to make decent table wine a bit fizzy.   its the same thing bulk wine makes do to make ' champagne '

of note :   the 750 cc version

Mastrad A01900 Purefizz Soda Maker

https://www.target.com/p/mastrad-purefizz-soda-maker/-/A-15645358

no longer seems available

there is this :

SodaPlus SP76327 Soda Carbonating Starter Kit

I got one of these for a ' spare '

its not as nice as the 750 cc model as there is more dead space involved therefore you need more cartridges / trial

Im mongering if there was a liability issue.   you do have to carefully rfelease the pressure before you open the carafe

and the top etc on the larger one is exactly the same as the one on the smaller one

money-mouth.gif.87ea440b14466a18c5d48419867e03cd.gif

Edited by Smithy Adjusted links to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and one last thing :

its fun !

And surely fun is what it is all about!   Life is much too short to think otherwise. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Partly it might be a budget issue. But I like the idea to carbonate wines that usually would not be developed into sparkling wine. Finding a good sparkling Riesling is a pain, finding a good Riesling and carbonating it rather easy.

Damn. I just put one kitchen tool more on my next home leave shopping list. Thanks Rotuts ...

Riesling now on shopping list.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Riesling now on shopping list.

Riesling is always on my shopping list, I prefer the dry variety.  Trader Joe is currently selling Emma Reichart Dry Riesling for 4.99 and I like it.  Will probably like it carbonated much better...

• Like 3

""  Emma Reichart Dry Riesling for 4.99 ""

thanks   Ill look for it.  I too like dry Reisling

and TJ's price is right in the ball-park for a Fizz.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, MetsFan5 said:

Ok so what exactly is the point here? To make crappy wine somehow drinkable? And to get the drinker drunk? I know carbonation enhances people's reaction to alcohol. Why not just buy a good, drinkable wine? Isn't this on par with adding bubbles to coffee to get the caffeine high faster? Crappy wine is crappy wine. Is this a budget issue? 

I wasn't aware that carbonation enhanced absorption of whatever is in your stomach, although, without further research, I'm not willing to dispute it. The link sure seems inconclusive.

For me, if I had one of these carbonation devices, I'd use it mostly for tap water to make my own seltzer without having to carry it on a four mile round trip on foot. I would sometimes mix that with vodka, I admit. There is a lot appeal to fizzy drinks that don't contain alcohol or caffeine. Just ask the mega rich Coca Cola Corp. or their investors.

And yeah, a lot of the eG community is retired and some of us are more flush than others, but I don't know anyone in their right mind who wants to spend more than necessary to have a good end result.

19 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I wasn't aware that carbonation enhanced absorption of whatever is in your stomach, although, without further research, I'm not willing to dispute it. The link sure seems inconclusive.

For me, if I had one of these carbonation devices, I'd use it mostly for tap water to make my own seltzer without having to carry it on a four mile round trip on foot. I would sometimes mix that with vodka, I admit. There is a lot appeal to fizzy drinks that don't contain alcohol or caffeine. Just ask the mega rich Coca Cola Corp. or their investors.

And yeah, a lot of the eG community is retired and some of us are more flush than others, but I don't know anyone in their right mind who wants to spend more than necessary to have a good end result.

I've considered Soda Streams and similar items because I do love soda water but because it's almost the only carbonated beverage I like, I can't validate the cost. 

But if if it makes things fun for you guys then cheers! 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, MetsFan5 said:

I've considered Soda Streams and similar items because I do love soda water but because it's almost the only carbonated beverage I like, I can't validate the cost. 

But if if it makes things fun for you guys then cheers! 

Quite seriously consider a multifunction vessel like the iSi.  Works for pancakes, methode rotuts, whipped cream, Hollandaise*, pressure extractions, soda...or as at the moment a zinfandel carafe.  In a pinch I have used one as a vase.

*not that I employ mine for Hollandaise.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker contemptible autocorrect (log)
  • Like 2

I have a new MR glass :

5a1070dbef10d_MRGl.thumb.jpg.083e7065bd07d7f6cb52e8c8ef66658b.jpg

sorry you can't see the bubbles.

I was In the Hunt for a new pan,  ended up w a Demeyere saucier    on sale 

http://www.zwillingonline.com

and then 

http://www.zwillingonline.com/zwilling-sorrento-double-wall-glassware.html

they had a sale on all these vacuum glasses.  there are many sizes.  this is 10 oz

about the right size for an initial MR.

it a fine glass and does not need a coaster or the rubber-band cloth system Id been useing

it large at the hand hold level , so might not work for a smaller hand

very light  and when soapy  very slippery  .

keeps the MR at just the right temp until the next refill.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

a fine glass and does not need a coaster or the rubber-band cloth system Id been useing

Nice glass!  Things are getting quite classy chez @rotuts - moving away from the "rubber-band cloth system" sounds very upscale indeed xD!

• Haha 1

the older system did have a certain Panache .

you will have to scroll way back to see my Methode.

• Haha 1

just to save you some time :

Old Methode :

5a1075516fb1a_RotaryChamp.thumb.jpg.5ad8d1bed2017e22a07c42d429da67ce.jpg

that's a Baccarat Rotary G&T glass   I stumbled on Baccarat while in FR in the mid ' 80;s

everything was very inexpensive  @ 11 FF / USD

they no longer make Rotary  and I can no longer afford it but Im well stocked.

that glass on ebay might be 300 - 400 USD    if you have the box

maybe most of the panache comes from the glass ?  but Ive certainly moved it into its own

Dimension.   I only have 3    used to have 4.

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By Rho

The space race trickled into kitchens in the 60s and 70s, including one curious tool that's faded away in the years since: the thermal pin, a heat pipe skewer that can halve cooking times for roasts:

Heat pipes are thermal superconductors, transferring heat 500-1000 times more effectively than solid copper (some people in the sous vide thread have discussed copper pins). They're hollow tubes with the air evacuated and a small amount of working fluid, often water. The usable temperature range is limited by the triple point and the critical point, with additional constraints near the edges. Water is effective from 20C-280C /70F-530F, which comfortably spans most cooking temperatures.

Modernist Bread has an excellent section on how bread bakes, including a diagram of the internal heat pipes that develop, summarized here. (click for a good photo!)

Sous-vide solves the overcooking side of the gradient problem, but it's still limited by total heat diffusion time-- doubling the size of a cut quadruples the time needed for the center to reach temperature. Heat pipe pins should make larger cuts practical, or normal cuts cook faster. Here's a graph from "The heat pipe and its potential for enhancing the cooking and cooling of meat joints", showing average temperatures over time for 1kg joints of meat convection baked at 190C/375F for 110 minutes (foil removed for the last 30 minutes):

Thermal pins were sold commercially from 1956 to about 1990. They're listed occasionally for about $20 on ebay. They even made potato baking racks with heat pipes-- though now you can easily par-cook a potato in the microwave and finish it in the oven.

I don't know why production of thermal pins stopped, or what fundamental problems limited their usage. It seems like pans and commercial griddles would be improved by adding heat pipes to spread heat throughout and avoid hot or cold spots. Perhaps roasts fell out of favor as the culture of entertaining shifted away from monolithic centerpieces to smaller, more precisely cooked portions.
    • By philie
      Hey there, i hope to find some help in the wise hands of yours. after some research i am still having some problems concerning glazing:

For a party i would like to make some cubes and rounded savoury cakes and foams out of silicone forms that have a ready bottom and a colour glazing. 
      Somehow i just do not manage to find a steady glazing ( one that does not run ) and is for texture reasons preferably hard or crisp that does not include sugar or syrup.

can you help me or lead my way in a certain direction?

thanks very much!
    • By KennethT
      Is there a discussion in the book about the purpose of adding ascorbic acid?  I just saw the contest #2 in which the recipe called for it.  I'm curious because a woman I know on the internet used to work in a bakery in Vietnam, and said that to get similar results to the banh mi there, you need to add ascorbic acid.  Does it act as a gluten relaxer?  Traditional banh mi have a very tender and crisp crust, and a very light and tender, relatively closed crumb.
    • By Tuber magnatum
      Having experienced the "Edible Balloon" dessert at Alinea, I have been on a quest to try this at home.  Only recently was I able to find purportedly a recipe:
      https://www.buzzfeed.com/raypajar1/these-edible-helium-balloons-are-dessert-from-the-future?utm_term=.ut6r3PnMk#.acGNVWmd6 the video of which is found below.

I tried this and probably no surprise, it failed.  The bubble collapsed / popped with only a little distension.   I wasn't sure if the problem was that a "secret" ingredient (e.g. some kind of surfactant to stabilise the bubble or using a different kind of sugar) was missing.  Or maybe I didn't allow the mix to come to correct temperature etc.  Elsewhere I thought I had read that the original recipe was in effect some kind of taffy.  Has anyone else had success, or do any candy makers /modernist chefs, have suggestions they are willing to share?

• By Dave the Cook
      Modernist Bread is out now, but maybe you haven't taken the plunge. Here's your chance to win your own copy, courtesy of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Cooking Lab has provided us with a couple of other prizes that will go to a second and third winner: second place will win an autographed poster and calendar, and third place will receive an autographed poster. They are also providing an autographed bookplate for the first place winner's copy of Modernist Bread. The rules are simple: we are going to post recipes from the book that the team at The Cooking Lab has graciously provided for this purpose. To enter into the contest, you need to bake one or more of these recipes and post about them in the official contest topics by the end of November 2017. Winners will be drawn at random from those posting pictures and descriptions of their completed loaves. Complete rules and other details can be found here.

For part two, we're featuring another cornerstone recipe from the book: Direct Country-Style Bread. The only leavener here is instant yeast, so production time is considerably shortened. The relative lack of flavor compared to long-proofed doughs is offset by the use of whole grains. Courtesy of The Cooking Lab, here's that recipe (extracted from the book and reformatted for purposes of this contest):