• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

JoNorvelleWalker

Methode Rotuts

personally, I think its all related to pH.

everything else being equal.

1 ) check the pH of various Bubblies   More is Better here.  Much More even better than that.

Glug, Glug, burp.  check levels.

do the same w pH 7 wine.

do same w water/EtOH

Ill stay with  the various and many bubblies, as Control.

always wise to check, re-check, and check again your Data.

burb.

Can't repeat an experiment too often.

Strengthens the data.

I've been hoping to read Uncorked, particularly if I can get it from the library.

I see many flaws in this study, not the least that they used non-vintage Champaign.

Seriously they should have normalized for the amount of alcohol.  It might have been better to start with still wine and carbonate it rather than trying to decarbonate Champaign.  The CO2 adds mass to the liquid, I'm guessing maybe as much as gram per deciliter.

I noted that the study was partially funded by a wine merchant.  Make of that what you will.

Sadly no MR for me till I can figure how to get the ice cream out of my freezer.  However I did order a couple of flutes tonight in my wine glass pattern.  There is hope.

Tonight's M.R. flute was in a mismatching pattern, though that was the least of my problems.  It seems some frozen matter clogged my valve and I wasted precious gas.  But I swapped in a spare valve and head assembly and soon was good to go.  Tasting the wine flat and carbonated there was no contest.  I like pretty bubbles.

• Like 2

Ok where did I go wrong? I got my .5l isi and rose very cold and then charged the rose with two CO2 canisters and shook. I allowed to settle in the fridge for half an hour and then dispensed upside down. All the carbonation escaped and fizzed out immediately and left flat wine that tasted as it did before.

Edit: I see that dispensing through the valve is the problem and if you pour it instead it works great! Cool trick.

Edited by Dave W (log)
  • Like 2

Ok where did I go wrong? I got my .5l isi and rose very cold and then charged the rose with two CO2 canisters and shook. I allowed to settle in the fridge for half an hour and then dispensed upside down. All the carbonation escaped and fizzed out immediately and left flat wine that tasted as it did before.

Edit: I see that dispensing through the valve is the problem and if you pour it instead it works great! Cool trick.

Need I point out the obvious advantages of multiple 1 liter isi's?  I now have thirty boxes of CO2 cylinders.

• Like 1

its OK, but not as tasty as M.R. ive found.

I do sometimes flavor the water w a bit of pomegranate molasses. 

Well for the break even point on only one 1L whipper I can get a case of good wine from my wine rep friend. And getting a larger siphon would just cause me to buy even more wine in the future.

Right now I'm working on some wine made by my uncle in law, on the western slope I colorado. And he even included some peach wine this time. the carbonation improves it for sure. But at what level of production does a vinters wine cease being homemade and qualify as a winery?

Tonight was a bit of a setback.  I washed down my kitchen cabinets.  I may have slightly over filled the pressure vessel.  Plus the wine was cloudy and viscous, which suggests I over froze it.  And if truth be told, dinner wasn't very good.  I fixed a salad that was OK, but then had bitter leftover burnt potatoes that should have been thrown out.

A tragic waste of bubbles.  I should have stuck with peanuts.

""" buy even more wine in the future. """

nothing wrong w buying.

the trouble, if any, is in the drinking.

:laugh:

I recently finished reading Gerard Liger-Belair's Uncorked.  Liger-Belair suggests a tulip shaped glass for Champagne rather than a traditional flute or coupe.

While this may work for a lesser wine like Champagne, I found the suggestion dangerous for Methode Rotuts.  Like poor souls who choose to end their lives in a lake of carbon dioxide or dunsthole, I choked and couldn't breathe.  A flute is much safer and more pleasant, even if the bubbles are not quite as exciting.  And I am being serious.

As an experiment I carbonated a California Chardonnay called Butter, which claims a malolactic fermentation similar to Champagne.  While it did indeed taste buttery, Butter did not remind me any more of Champagne than plain ordinary M.R,  And to my taste was not worth the price premium.

And, if I may say, I'm not sure why I would want my wine to taste like butter?  Not that I do not like butter, mind you.

Nonetheless I applaud their truth in advertising that they were selling a wine that tastes like butter.  It does.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

for some reason 'full bodied whites esp Chard. are often called 'buttery'  Ive never decided why

for me " buttery " in a Chard.  implies 'richer' flavor w a bit more 'viscosity' in the mouth

remember, that's just my take

I like 'clean, no oak, some acid'

to me, buttery = oaky

i could be wrong

of course

http://winefolly.com/tutorial/40-wine-descriptions/

""  

BUTTERY A wine with buttery characteristics has been aged in oak and generally is rich and flat (less Acidity). A buttery wine often has a cream-like texture that hits the middle of your tongue almost like oil (or butter) and has a smooth finish.  ""

http://www.logabottle.com/home/wineguide.php?n=Buttery&t=1&id=75&gc=2

"""  Buttery

tweet_this_blue.png   facebook_share_taller.png

Wine Tasting Term

A buttery wine either tastes of butter in the mouth or leaves a buttery aftertaste once the wine is swallowed. It has a rich, creamy texture and a smooth finish, much like liquid butter. 

The flavor of butter in a wine is the result of an oak (not steel) barrel fermentation process and extended contact time with yeasts. However, due to the tannins and other overpowering characteristics of oak-barreled red wines, a butter flavor is nearly exclusive to white wines. 

A buttery taste is most common in oak-barreled Chardonnays and white Burgundy wines."""

to me though Oak-ey is not the same a buttery, ie some 'buttery' wines dont taste at all Oak-ey to me

and most Oak-ey wines dont taste buttery.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

In Liquid Intelligence Dave Arnold says (p 61) Champagne typically undergoes a malolactic fermentation, which is what the Butter folks say their wine does in their marketing literature.  This is why I tried it.

Be that as it may my best M.R. to date was made from Ryan Patrick "naked chardonnay", and I've bought another bottle.

• Like 1

Finishing up the Butter M.R. with a baguette and Humboldt Fog goat cheese, it is not bad at all.  Though I still think I like my M.R. to be a little crisp.

• Like 1

I'm curious, what is the point of carbonating non sparkling wine, other than the old wives tale (not sure if it's true) that carbonated beverages gets one drunk faster? Does it taste better? I've googled MR and only got EG answers.

I'm curious, what is the point of carbonating non sparkling wine, other than the old wives tale (not sure if it's true) that carbonated beverages gets one drunk faster? Does it taste better? I've googled MR and only got EG answers.

Actually one can get drunk fairly well on 151 proof rum (says she, finishing up her zombie).  However M.R. tastes really good!  And I like to look at bubbles!  Sort of like a fish tank at dinner time.

• Like 1

JNW :  how was the MR Soave ?  havent had that wine in a long long while

Folinari was it ?

no TJ's near you to try the Tj ChileChard ?

Folonari Soave has been my standard white wine for a few years, after hearing about it from a NY Times blind tasting.  Lately much has made its way into M.R.

For better or worse I have never been to a TJ's.

• Similar Content

• By Daily Gullet Staff
      By John Sconzo

The Daily Gullet is proud to present this, the first in a multi-part, front-row report on the recent "Spain and the World Table" conference. Watch for subsequent installments in this topic.

In his introduction of Ferran Adria, Thomas Keller -- perhaps the most celebrated American chef ever -- described four elements that go into making a great chef. The chef must be aware. Once aware of one’s culinary and other surroundings that chef can then be inspired, which leads to the ability to interpret those surroundings. But a great chef does not stop there. Instead, the great chef continues to evolve. Ferran Adria, perhaps more than any other chef who has ever lived, is the embodiment of those four elements.

The moment that Ferran Adria strode towards Thomas Keller on the stage at the CIA/Greystone’s World of Flavors’ “Spain and the World Table” Conference was electric -- as if a giant Van de Graf generator had been turned on. The feeling didn’t subside when Adria took the stage from Keller; it only became more pronounced as the packed crowd rose to its feet, raining applause, admiration and love on the Spanish master. Adria accepted the response with aplomb, and gave it right back to the audience -- and to his fellow Spanish cocineros, who were standing off to the side. He brought each one up to join him on the stage for a rousing thank-you to the conference organizers, sponsors and participants. Once this emotional release subsided, Adria got down to what everyone had been waiting for -- his discussion and demonstration.

Ferran Adria, with eyes sparkling like the finest cava, began speaking Spanish in a voice as gravelly as the beaches of the Costa Brava, while Conference Chairman Jose Andres translated. The crowd, hushed and straining for every word, moved forward in their seats as Adria explained El Bulli and himself, with a lesson in recent culinary history thrown in. Ferran explained that El Bulli is not a business. While offshoots of El Bulli are operated on a for-profit basis, the restaurant runs without profit as a primary motivation. For example, he said, the greatest difficulty they have is distributing reservations. Given the extraordinary demand and the severely limited supply, he explained that they could simply raise the price of a meal to the point where the supply and demand met. Indeed, the price of a meal at El Bulli is in itself quite reasonable given the stature of the restaurant and well within means of most motivated diners should they be able to get there, and this is how Adria prefers it. He stated that he was not interested in cooking solely for those with the most money. He prefers to work for people with a true interest in exploring the limits of cooking with him. To this end he showed a short film depicting “A Day in the Life . . .” of El Bulli set to the Beatles’ song of the same name. The film showed a couple’s response to the experience.

Ferran’s voyage into creativity began with a visit to Jacques Maxima at Le Chanticleer Restaurant in Nice, France. He learned from Maxima that to be creative is not to copy. This idea changed his entire approach to cooking -- from making classic cuisine to making his own. Aware of elaborate books of French cuisine, Adria resolved to catalogue his work, the results of which are the richly detailed El Bulli books, published by period. These books, as wonderful as they are, are huge and extremely expensive. During his presentation, Adria announced -- and demonstrated -- that the individual dishes photographed and described in a chronology within each book are all now available online at elbulli.com.

He finished the philosophical discussion by talking about the general style of haute cuisine that he and others are engaged in. While others have coined the term “molecular gastronomy” to highlight the scientific component of the creativity involved, Adria rejected it, saying that all cooking is molecular: most of his techniques are in fact rather simple and don’t employ radical new technology. Most of the technology that they do use has been around for some time; they have simply adapted it to their own purposes. Nevertheless, he applauds contributions to gastronomy from Harold McGee and other food scientists, and welcomes their collaboration in the kitchen. He has yet to find a term that describes the movement: as of now, he feels that there really is no good name for this style of cooking.

More than any other single thing, Ferran Adria is known for the use of “foams” in cooking. While he is proud of his achievements with foams, he stressed that while appropriate in some circumstances, the real utility of foams is limited. He bemoans their ubiquity -- and wishes to not be blamed for others’ poor deployment of the concept. In the course of describing this and other techniques, Adria made a point of stating that using them should not be inferred as copying. Techniques and concepts are to be used and shared. He invited everyone to learn and harness whatever they found interesting, and to employ it in to their own pursuits.

Another set of techniques discussed and demonstrated by the master and his assistant, Rafa Morales from Hacienda Benazuza, included three types of spherification. These included the use of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium alginate as well as the converse, and exploration of a new agent, gluconodeltalactone. The original combinations of alginate into CaCl for “caviar” production, and CaCl into alginate for larger “spheres” have chemistry-related limits as to what can be sphericized. In private correspondence, Harold McGee explained to me that Adria described encapsulating a mussel in its own juice. While this would make the dish technically an aspic, unlike conventional aspics it remains a liquid. Adria said that though gluconodeltalactone is very new, and they are just beginning to get a handle on it, he is very excited by it. He also demonstrated a machine for spherification on a larger scale than they had originally been able to do, as well as liquid nitrogen and freeze-drying (lyophilization) techniques. At the conclusion of his demonstration -- and thus the Conference -- the audience once again awarded him a standing ovation.

While Adria’s appearance was the culmination of the conference, the energy it produced was not just because of his stature in the world of gastronomy -- it was also due to the excitement generated by the conference that preceded it. If there had previously been any doubt, Thomas Keller’s welcome of Adria was a clarion: Spanish cuisine has landed on North American shores and is finding a niche in the North American psyche. Spanish cuisine -- in its multifaceted, delicious entirety -- lives here, too.

+ + + + +

John M. Sconzo, M.D., aka docsconz, is an anesthesiologist practicing in upstate New York. He grew up in Brooklyn in an Italian-American home, in which food was an important component of family life. It still is. His passions include good food, wine and travel. John's gastronomic interests in upstate northeastern New York involve finding top-notch local producers of ingredients and those who use them well. A dedicated amateur, John has no plans to ditch his current career for one in the food industry. Host, New York.
    • By docsconz
      About Jose Andres

Throughout his career, Jose’s vision and imaginative creations have drawn the praise of the public, the press and his peers. José has received awards and recognition from Food Arts, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Saveur, the James Beard Foundation, Wine Spectator, and Wine Advocate. In addition, José has been featured in leading food magazines such as Gourmet as well as the New York Times, the Washington Post, Good Morning America, Fox Sunday Morning News with Chris Wallace, the Food Network, and USA Today.

Widely acknowledged as the premiere Spanish chef cooking in America, José is a developer and Conference Chairman for the upcoming Worlds of Flavor Conference on Spain and the World Table at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, November 2 – 5, 2006.

In 1993, Jose moved to Washington, DC, to head the kitchen at Jaleo. From there, Jose took on executive chef responsibilities at neighboring Café Atlantico and later Zaytinya. In July of 2003, Jose embarked on his most adventurous project to date with the opening of the minibar by jose andres at Cafe Atlantico. A six-seat restaurant within a restaurant, minibar by jose andres continues to attract international attention with its innovative tasting menu. In the fall of 2004, Jose opened a third Jaleo and Oyamel, an authentic Mexican small plates restaurant and launched the THINKfoodTANK, an institution devoted to the research and development of ideas about food, all with a view toward their practical applications in the kitchen.

Every week, millions of Spaniards invite Jose into their home where he is the host and producer of “Vamos a cocinar”, a food program on Television Española (TVE), Spanish national television. The program airs in the United States and Latin America on TVE Internacional.

Jose released his first cookbook this year, first published in English, Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America (published in the United States by Clarkson Potter) and shortly after in Spanish, Los fogones de José Andrés (published by Planeta). The book is an homage to Spanish cooking and to tapas, one of Spain's gifts to the world of good cooking.

Jose Andres is passionate, intelligent, dedicated, witty and a fan of FC Barcelona.

Jose has been a member of the eGullet Society since 2004.

More on Jose Andres in the eG Forums:
      Cooking with "Tapas" by Jose Andres
      Vamos a Cocinar - cooking show with Jose Andres
      Jaleo
      José Andrés' Minibar
      Zaytinya
      Oyamel Cocina Mexicana, Crystal City
      Cafe Atlantico

Jose Andres recipes from Tapas in RecipeGullet:
      Potatoes Rioja-Style with Chorizo (Patatas a la Riojana)
      Moorish-Style Chickpea and Spinach Stew
      Squid with Caramelized Onions
    • By gibbs
      With Modernist Cuisine I waited a couple of years and ended up with a copy from the 6th printing run the advantage of this was that all errors picked up in the erratta had been corrected in the print copy.  I am looking to get modernist bread soon and wondered if someone had purchased it recently to check or if someone knew of hand if they have printed any additional corrected runs 
    • By TdeV
      I'm thinking that one isn't supposed to add salt to meat which is about to be sous-vided. I have no idea from whence the idea came, nor whether it's correct.

Also I'm thinking that raw onion is ok in the sous vide bag, but not raw garlic (because it imparts a harsh flavour).

Either of these impressions have value?
    • By Fabio
      Last year I had dinner at Belcanto in Lisbon and one of the dishes featured a "tomato water snow" or "tomato water cloud" (translated from the original Portuguese: "Nuvem/neve de agua de tomate") that I'm trying to replicate without success. Imagine a thick and solid foam of tomato water that immediately liquefies when you put in your mouth. The cloud was atop smoked fish and olive oil was drizzled over it.

I whipped a mixture of tomato water and albumin powder (2 tsp albumin, 2tbsp tomato water) along with a pinch of cream of tartar, getting to the stiff peaks point after some effort. Trying to dehidrate the foam even as low as 150F didn't work; the foam collapsed. I then tried the savory meringue approach with some sugar and salt. The result was indeed a meringue that tasted like tomato but completely different from what I had at Belcanto. What am I missing? I've attached a photo of the dish so you can see what the cloud looks like.

Thanks!