• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Methode Rotuts

JoNorvelleWalker

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Ok so what exactly is the point here? To make crappy wine somehow drinkable? And to get the drinker drunk? I know carbonation enhances people's reaction to alcohol. Why not just buy a good, drinkable wine? Isn't this on par with adding bubbles to coffee to get the caffeine high faster? Crappy wine is crappy wine. Is this a budget issue? 

Partly it might be a budget issue. But I like the idea to carbonate wines that usually would not be developed into sparkling wine. Finding a good sparkling Riesling is a pain, finding a good Riesling and carbonating it rather easy.

Damn. I just put one kitchen tool more on my next home leave shopping list. Thanks Rotuts ...

• Like 4

"   crappy wine somehow drinkable  ""   is always going to be crappy.

as menitoned , its to make decent table wine a bit fizzy.   its the same thing bulk wine makes do to make ' champagne '

of note :   the 750 cc version

Mastrad A01900 Purefizz Soda Maker

https://www.target.com/p/mastrad-purefizz-soda-maker/-/A-15645358

no longer seems available

there is this :

SodaPlus SP76327 Soda Carbonating Starter Kit

I got one of these for a ' spare '

its not as nice as the 750 cc model as there is more dead space involved therefore you need more cartridges / trial

Im mongering if there was a liability issue.   you do have to carefully rfelease the pressure before you open the carafe

and the top etc on the larger one is exactly the same as the one on the smaller one

money-mouth.gif.87ea440b14466a18c5d48419867e03cd.gif

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and one last thing :

its fun !

And surely fun is what it is all about!   Life is much too short to think otherwise. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Partly it might be a budget issue. But I like the idea to carbonate wines that usually would not be developed into sparkling wine. Finding a good sparkling Riesling is a pain, finding a good Riesling and carbonating it rather easy.

Damn. I just put one kitchen tool more on my next home leave shopping list. Thanks Rotuts ...

Riesling now on shopping list.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Riesling now on shopping list.

Riesling is always on my shopping list, I prefer the dry variety.  Trader Joe is currently selling Emma Reichart Dry Riesling for 4.99 and I like it.  Will probably like it carbonated much better...

• Like 4

On 10/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, MetsFan5 said:

Ok so what exactly is the point here? To make crappy wine somehow drinkable? And to get the drinker drunk? I know carbonation enhances people's reaction to alcohol. Why not just buy a good, drinkable wine? Isn't this on par with adding bubbles to coffee to get the caffeine high faster? Crappy wine is crappy wine. Is this a budget issue? 

I wasn't aware that carbonation enhanced absorption of whatever is in your stomach, although, without further research, I'm not willing to dispute it. The link sure seems inconclusive.

For me, if I had one of these carbonation devices, I'd use it mostly for tap water to make my own seltzer without having to carry it on a four mile round trip on foot. I would sometimes mix that with vodka, I admit. There is a lot appeal to fizzy drinks that don't contain alcohol or caffeine. Just ask the mega rich Coca Cola Corp. or their investors.

And yeah, a lot of the eG community is retired and some of us are more flush than others, but I don't know anyone in their right mind who wants to spend more than necessary to have a good end result.

> ^ . . ^ <

19 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I wasn't aware that carbonation enhanced absorption of whatever is in your stomach, although, without further research, I'm not willing to dispute it. The link sure seems inconclusive.

For me, if I had one of these carbonation devices, I'd use it mostly for tap water to make my own seltzer without having to carry it on a four mile round trip on foot. I would sometimes mix that with vodka, I admit. There is a lot appeal to fizzy drinks that don't contain alcohol or caffeine. Just ask the mega rich Coca Cola Corp. or their investors.

And yeah, a lot of the eG community is retired and some of us are more flush than others, but I don't know anyone in their right mind who wants to spend more than necessary to have a good end result.

I've considered Soda Streams and similar items because I do love soda water but because it's almost the only carbonated beverage I like, I can't validate the cost. 

But if if it makes things fun for you guys then cheers! 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, MetsFan5 said:

I've considered Soda Streams and similar items because I do love soda water but because it's almost the only carbonated beverage I like, I can't validate the cost. 

But if if it makes things fun for you guys then cheers! 

Quite seriously consider a multifunction vessel like the iSi.  Works for pancakes, methode rotuts, whipped cream, Hollandaise*, pressure extractions, soda...or as at the moment a zinfandel carafe.  In a pinch I have used one as a vase.

*not that I employ mine for Hollandaise.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
contemptible autocorrect (log)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a new MR glass :

5a1070dbef10d_MRGl.thumb.jpg.083e7065bd07d7f6cb52e8c8ef66658b.jpg

sorry you can't see the bubbles.

I was In the Hunt for a new pan,  ended up w a Demeyere saucier    on sale 

http://www.zwillingonline.com

and then 

http://www.zwillingonline.com/zwilling-sorrento-double-wall-glassware.html

they had a sale on all these vacuum glasses.  there are many sizes.  this is 10 oz

about the right size for an initial MR.

it a fine glass and does not need a coaster or the rubber-band cloth system Id been useing

it large at the hand hold level , so might not work for a smaller hand

very light  and when soapy  very slippery  .

keeps the MR at just the right temp until the next refill.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

just to save you some time :

Old Methode :

5a1075516fb1a_RotaryChamp.thumb.jpg.5ad8d1bed2017e22a07c42d429da67ce.jpg

that's a Baccarat Rotary G&T glass   I stumbled on Baccarat while in FR in the mid ' 80;s

everything was very inexpensive  @ 11 FF / USD

they no longer make Rotary  and I can no longer afford it but Im well stocked.

that glass on ebay might be 300 - 400 USD    if you have the box

maybe most of the panache comes from the glass ?  but Ive certainly moved it into its own

Dimension.   I only have 3    used to have 4.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

personally

SodaStream mightn't be the way to go

I highly recommend

SodaPlus SP76327 Soda Carbonating Starter Kor

or

i think these two are very difficult to find

look for New on ebay or so

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Orbit said:

Can I use a Sodastream to carbonate wine? Everyone seems to be using something else.

But if you had a one liter iSi you could use it for MR and so much else.

• Like 2

the ones w a screw top :

which seem to be no longer around , loose less fizz with pouring than the siphons w the release lever

but if that's all you can find , they are much better than soda stream I think

@JoNorvelleWalker

are not iSi's siphons ?

isi.jpg.205f4f4e9442c65a35ac726ede9879d7.jpg

I guess you work them upside down.

Ive been needing a ' treat ' for a while now , to counter act all that Snow ....

which do you recumbent ?

for MR   I have two of the older nonexistent PureFizz   one 750  w headspace for the gas  and one 1 L with even more headspace

the 750 works much better as one bot. of Vin  needs only one ' charge ' for decent MR    the 1 L has a much larger headspace for 750 cc

and thus needs several charges to get the partialipressure needed in that space to give you the righter fizz in the wine.

Perhaps a matter of definition:  a siphon has a tube through which fluid is forced up.  This I would call a siphon...

https://www.isi.com/us/culinary/products/detail/product/23/

What I use is an iSi Gourmet Whip...

https://www.isi.com/us/culinary/products/detail/product/3/

For optimally dispensing carbonated beverage the vessel is neither inverted nor cut in half.  If you squirt the MR from the nozzle you give up all the fizz.

I use three chargers as recommended somewhere by @nathanm.  The first charger is applied with the valve slightly open to expel air and clear the headspace.  The second and third chargers provide the carbonation.  I shake well after each one.  Possibly a single charger would give more than satisfactory results but I buy my chargers in bulk by the case when they are on sale.

After about an hour in the freezer (assuming there's no ice cream) I place the iSi on the counter in the upright position and slowly release the pressure.  When all is clear I unscrew the head and pour.  Replacing the head until the next glass.

I do recommend the optional silicone sleeve to prevent flesh from sticking to the stainless steel and marring the finish.

So  ............

this is what you have for MR ?

you whip  the MR ?

Wow !

Im not so sure on ' Clear Head Space '

that might put me on the Disabled List 

do you start w very very cold wine ?

do you start w a freezer iSi ?

WoW

Id guess Id have to get the 1 L , 

is that what you have ?    it might have air pocket larger than my 750 Fiizzer

if your recommend it

In on it to get a fair price

Wow

MR-JNW !

P.S.:  I like like the ones w the Red Tops !

money-mouth.gif.7a7ab60aa6ba9d65689e7197f212fcba.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

So  ............

this is what you have for MR ?

you whip  the MR ?

I have three

Some people have three CSO's.

Don't forget the red silicone jacket...

https://www.isi.com/us/culinary/products/detail/product/25/

Great thread. We tried this a few years ago at my gf's parents' house (they have a soda stream, and I'd just read Dave Arnold's post on whipping up faux champaign). We had an inexpensive bottle of California chardonnay and gassed it. All of us loved it. Even the sommellier who happened to be hanging out with us that night. The wine tasted better sparkling than it did flat. It did not, however, taste like champagne. Our sommelier friend suggested repeating with a less oaky white bordeaux, which we haven't tried yet.

On his podcast, Dave Arnold once went on a long rant against soda streams and the equivalent, talking about what a massive waste of money they are. He said it's cheap and easy to plumb in a full-sized CO2 tank with filtered water, and have bubbles on tap all day. He'd probably tweat you the details of his setup.

I don't have room for that (or even a soda stream, for that matter).

Those of you using an isi, are you staying within the volume recommendations of the siphon, and doing a maximum of 500ml in the 1l container? Or have you gone rogue and done a whole 750ml bottle in there?

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

27 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Those of you using an isi, are you staying within the volume recommendations of the siphon, and doing a maximum of 500ml in the 1l container? Or have you gone rogue and done a whole 750ml bottle in there?

I am confused.  For the 1 quart iSi the max. filling volume is specified as 1 liter, and a liter of liquid comes to the max fill line marked on the vessel.  There is headspace above that.  Why would you use only 500 ml?