• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Methode Rotuts

JoNorvelleWalker

personally, I think its all related to pH.

everything else being equal.

1 ) check the pH of various Bubblies   More is Better here.  Much More even better than that.

Glug, Glug, burp.  check levels.

do the same w pH 7 wine.

do same w water/EtOH

Ill stay with  the various and many bubblies, as Control.

always wise to check, re-check, and check again your Data.

burb.

I've been hoping to read Uncorked, particularly if I can get it from the library.

I see many flaws in this study, not the least that they used non-vintage Champaign.

Seriously they should have normalized for the amount of alcohol.  It might have been better to start with still wine and carbonate it rather than trying to decarbonate Champaign.  The CO2 adds mass to the liquid, I'm guessing maybe as much as gram per deciliter.

I noted that the study was partially funded by a wine merchant.  Make of that what you will.

Sadly no MR for me till I can figure how to get the ice cream out of my freezer.  However I did order a couple of flutes tonight in my wine glass pattern.  There is hope.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight's M.R. flute was in a mismatching pattern, though that was the least of my problems.  It seems some frozen matter clogged my valve and I wasted precious gas.  But I swapped in a spare valve and head assembly and soon was good to go.  Tasting the wine flat and carbonated there was no contest.  I like pretty bubbles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok where did I go wrong? I got my .5l isi and rose very cold and then charged the rose with two CO2 canisters and shook. I allowed to settle in the fridge for half an hour and then dispensed upside down. All the carbonation escaped and fizzed out immediately and left flat wine that tasted as it did before.

Edit: I see that dispensing through the valve is the problem and if you pour it instead it works great! Cool trick.

Edited by Dave W (log)
  • Like 2

Ok where did I go wrong? I got my .5l isi and rose very cold and then charged the rose with two CO2 canisters and shook. I allowed to settle in the fridge for half an hour and then dispensed upside down. All the carbonation escaped and fizzed out immediately and left flat wine that tasted as it did before.

Edit: I see that dispensing through the valve is the problem and if you pour it instead it works great! Cool trick.

Need I point out the obvious advantages of multiple 1 liter isi's?  I now have thirty boxes of CO2 cylinders.

• Like 1

Well for the break even point on only one 1L whipper I can get a case of good wine from my wine rep friend. And getting a larger siphon would just cause me to buy even more wine in the future.

Right now I'm working on some wine made by my uncle in law, on the western slope I colorado. And he even included some peach wine this time. the carbonation improves it for sure. But at what level of production does a vinters wine cease being homemade and qualify as a winery?

Tonight was a bit of a setback.  I washed down my kitchen cabinets.  I may have slightly over filled the pressure vessel.  Plus the wine was cloudy and viscous, which suggests I over froze it.  And if truth be told, dinner wasn't very good.  I fixed a salad that was OK, but then had bitter leftover burnt potatoes that should have been thrown out.

A tragic waste of bubbles.  I should have stuck with peanuts.

I recently finished reading Gerard Liger-Belair's Uncorked.  Liger-Belair suggests a tulip shaped glass for Champagne rather than a traditional flute or coupe.

While this may work for a lesser wine like Champagne, I found the suggestion dangerous for Methode Rotuts.  Like poor souls who choose to end their lives in a lake of carbon dioxide or dunsthole, I choked and couldn't breathe.  A flute is much safer and more pleasant, even if the bubbles are not quite as exciting.  And I am being serious.

As an experiment I carbonated a California Chardonnay called Butter, which claims a malolactic fermentation similar to Champagne.  While it did indeed taste buttery, Butter did not remind me any more of Champagne than plain ordinary M.R,  And to my taste was not worth the price premium.

And, if I may say, I'm not sure why I would want my wine to taste like butter?  Not that I do not like butter, mind you.

Nonetheless I applaud their truth in advertising that they were selling a wine that tastes like butter.  It does.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

for some reason 'full bodied whites esp Chard. are often called 'buttery'  Ive never decided why

for me " buttery " in a Chard.  implies 'richer' flavor w a bit more 'viscosity' in the mouth

remember, that's just my take

I like 'clean, no oak, some acid'

http://winefolly.com/tutorial/40-wine-descriptions/

""  

BUTTERY A wine with buttery characteristics has been aged in oak and generally is rich and flat (less Acidity). A buttery wine often has a cream-like texture that hits the middle of your tongue almost like oil (or butter) and has a smooth finish.  ""

http://www.logabottle.com/home/wineguide.php?n=Buttery&t=1&id=75&gc=2

"""  Buttery

tweet_this_blue.png   facebook_share_taller.png

Wine Tasting Term

A buttery wine either tastes of butter in the mouth or leaves a buttery aftertaste once the wine is swallowed. It has a rich, creamy texture and a smooth finish, much like liquid butter. 

The flavor of butter in a wine is the result of an oak (not steel) barrel fermentation process and extended contact time with yeasts. However, due to the tannins and other overpowering characteristics of oak-barreled red wines, a butter flavor is nearly exclusive to white wines. 

A buttery taste is most common in oak-barreled Chardonnays and white Burgundy wines."""

to me though Oak-ey is not the same a buttery, ie some 'buttery' wines dont taste at all Oak-ey to me

and most Oak-ey wines dont taste buttery.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)

In Liquid Intelligence Dave Arnold says (p 61) Champagne typically undergoes a malolactic fermentation, which is what the Butter folks say their wine does in their marketing literature.  This is why I tried it.

Be that as it may my best M.R. to date was made from Ryan Patrick "naked chardonnay", and I've bought another bottle.

• Like 1

Finishing up the Butter M.R. with a baguette and Humboldt Fog goat cheese, it is not bad at all.  Though I still think I like my M.R. to be a little crisp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious, what is the point of carbonating non sparkling wine, other than the old wives tale (not sure if it's true) that carbonated beverages gets one drunk faster? Does it taste better? I've googled MR and only got EG answers.

Actually one can get drunk fairly well on 151 proof rum (says she, finishing up her zombie).  However M.R. tastes really good!  And I like to look at bubbles!  Sort of like a fish tank at dinner time.

• Like 1

Folonari Soave has been my standard white wine for a few years, after hearing about it from a NY Times blind tasting.  Lately much has made its way into M.R.

For better or worse I have never been to a TJ's.