• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cdh

cdh

Forcing CO2 into solution is easy... you don't need anything more than a good source of CO2, and a pressurized vessel.  A 10lb CO2 refill at my local welding shop (where I've become a regular over the past decade or more) costs $22... That provides me with about 6 months worth of all the carbonated beverages I might desire.  Since I'm a homebrewer, I've got a heap of 5 gallon kegs, two of which are dedicated to seltzer duty and reserve seltzer duty.  I've also got a few "carbonator caps", widgets that have the same connector as the kegs do, but then screw onto 1 or 2L soda bottles.  Put whatever you want into the soda bottle (I use plain seltzer bottles because soda flavors can cling), chill it down to 33F,  hit it with 50PSI of CO2 and shake for a minute, and you've got a lovely bottle of  fizzy stuff.  

cdh

cdh

Forcing CO2 into solution is easy... you don't need anything more than a good source of CO2, and a pressurized vessel.  A 10lb CO2 refill at my local welding shop (where I've become a regular over the past decade or more) costs $22... That provides me with about 6 months worth of all the carbonated beverages I might desire.  Since I'm a homebrewer, I've got a heap of 5 gallon kegs, two of which are dedicated to seltzer duty and reserve seltzer duty.  I've also got a few "carbonator caps", widgets that have the same connector as the kegs do, but then screw onto 1 or 2L soda bottles.  Put whatever you want into the soda bottle (I use plain saltzer bottles because soda flavors can cling), chill it down to 33F,  hit it with 50PSI of CO2 and shake for a minute, and you've got a lovely bottle of  fizzy stuff.