• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello there!

Well, I have been stalking for quite a while, and I enjoy reading eGullet immensely. I'm in Australian guy, love cooking, love my Sous Vide Supreme, love all the amazing fresh ingredients I can get my hands on. My food is a little homely with some modernist twists here and there. Heavily French inspired, with a touch of Nyonya Malaysian thrown in, just to shake things up. Also enjoy spending too much money on cook books and gadgets that will.... Make life superb (I want a freeze dryer!). Looking forward to reading all your delicious and interesting posts.

Attached is a SV Ocean trout I cooked for dinner the other evening, with nduja kipfler potatoes, nduja aioli, white zucchini from the garden and a few other bits and pieces I had lying around the fridge and herb pot.

ER

image.jpg

• Like 4

Hello- welcome! Your picture looks delicious. I enjoy cooking Asian styles, so I was curious...What characterizes Nyonya Malaysian cooking? Also, do they do anything special with tea?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Welcome, Eliot. It looks like you'll fit right in here!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

In North America, the conventional meaning of 'homely' is something akin to ugly, not 'comforting' or 'down to earth' or 'from the heart and home' as I would connote from the similar word we might use - 'homey'. I always have to remember that it means something very different to those with more direct british English backgrounds. Your food is definitely NOT what I would call 'homely', Eliot - it is beautiful.

Welcome to eGullet. I hope you will love it here as much as I do.

Dear All, many thanks for the welcome!

Naftal, Nyonya cuisine is from the Chinese (my mother in laws family) who settled in Malaysia and Singapore. It is a bit of a mixing pot of traditional Chinese shaken up with some malaysian and Indonesian influences. A particular favourite of mine is otak otak, white fish, a coconut custard, wrapped in banana and betel leaves and cooked over coals - truly delicious! Also many assorted sweets like kuih are considered Nyonya. The above is a very basic description, and reflects the understanding I've been told - it certainly warrants more research. I cannot wait to go to Penang!

Looking forward to talking with you all!

ER