• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A new condiment...toasted sauerkraut

gfweb

I have invented a new condiment. Toasted Sauerkraut.

Take kraut (Hatfield) and cook it in a  convection oven (Breville) at 350 F until it looks like pipe tobacco.

It tastes like super sauerkraut with a hint of smokiness and a real back-of-the-tongue lingering flavor. Tasty.

I just can't figure out what the hell to do with it.  Perhaps on a charcuterie plate or on top of a steak?

Your thoughts...

• Like 3

I'd be eating it as a snack!  Dried kraut, dried apples and caraway.  

Sprinkled on top of mashed potatoes.  

I've got on my list to do freeze dried sauerkraut - figure it will be like the freeze dried kimchi - a perfect snacking food.  

• Like 2

I have invented a new condiment. Toasted Sauerkraut.

I've been making toasted 'kraut for years, since around 1979 or so.  I use it as a bit of crunchy topping when I make my Choucroute Garnie.

• Like 2

... Shel

I've been making toasted 'kraut for years, since around 1979 or so.  I use it as a bit of crunchy topping when I make my Choucroute Garnie.

Unfortunately I have the patent.

Cease and desist!

• Like 4

I'd be eating it as a snack!  Dried kraut, dried apples and caraway.  

Sprinkled on top of mashed potatoes.  

I've got on my list to do freeze dried sauerkraut - figure it will be like the freeze dried kimchi - a perfect snacking food.  

Snacking is what I'm doing with it.  Apples and caraway are a great idea.

The caramelization from cooking may be adding something that FD wouldn't....

Snacking is what I'm doing with it.  Apples and caraway are a great idea.

The caramelization from cooking may be adding something that FD wouldn't....

For sure - the FD would be different.  How about caramelized then FD'd for the crunch?

• Like 2