• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter

ElsieD

Here's a resuscitated starter that I found in the back of the fridge. It's a few years old, and hasn't been touched since last fall - iow, since pre Steam-Girl. It had all sorts of weird looking stuff happening, but I dumped 99.9% of it and a few days later, bang...

2014_10 Starter.JPG

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So here is a picture of Jayme's Sourdough Fruitcake. In the interests of this thread, I made a small loaf along with the two regular loaves so I could immediately try some. It is delicious, a keeper of a recipe for sure. Some of the candied fruit I used doesn't show up in the picture very well, (citron, pineapple) so it is actually fruitier than it looks. Can't decide whether I should next make more bread or to try pizza. Choices, choices!

image.jpg

• Like 7

So pretty. Thinking back to sourdough fruitcake and pancakes with just-picked wild blueberries sure does make me miss Alaska.

Thanks for the photo. If I were only right next door...

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Can't decide whether I should next make more bread or to try pizza.

Or waffles.

Sourdough waffles are truly fabulous.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

All this excitement is getting overwhelming!

Meanwhile Anna' stuck.  Anna, you say the mould forms after a few days. Have you tried going beyond this stage? I did a quick run around the net and there is a suggestion that starters build up their resistance to mould as the bacteria develops in the mixture so they are more vulnerable to attack in the early days. There's also a suggestion that mould tends to form on the sides of the container so they should be scraped down or wiped clean. I agree that tight fitting lids are not a good idea. Try scraping the top off the starter and from the remainder take about 50g and refresh it with 100g water and 100g flour and start again in a fresh container where the allows lid allows for a bit of air flow. Then persevere for a few days and see what happens.

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

All this excitement is getting overwhelming!

Meanwhile Anna' stuck.  Anna, you say the mould forms after a few days. Have you tried going beyond this stage? I did a quick run around the net and there is a suggestion that starters build up their resistance to mould as the bacteria develops in the mixture so they are more vulnerable to attack in the early days. There's also a suggestion that mould tends to form on the sides of the container so they should be scraped down or wiped clean. I agree that tight fitting lids are not a good idea. Try scraping the top off the starter and from the remainder take about 50g and refresh it with 100g water and 100g flour and start again in a fresh container where the allows lid allows for a bit of air flow. Then persevere for a few days and see what happens.

Thank you Mick and everyone else who offered advice. Well the moldy starter is long gone! So it is back to square one. I opened a brand-new bag of flour this morning and a fresh bottle of water. Using approximately 2 tablespoons of flour I made a stirrable paste with the water in a clean ceramic bowl. I have covered it loosely with plastic wrap. I will have to find a way to put it on top of my very tall refrigerator as I have a couple of four-legged houseguests who are very curious! We will see how this goes.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You can Google sourdough pancakes and get recipes that are all basically the same, much like this, super easy:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sourdough-pancakes-recipe.html

My family got so accustomed to that sourdough flavor that, even now years later, when I make what they call "ordinary pancakes," they complain.

BTW, while we were up there, I made sourdough fruitcake, too.

With my starter now up and running, I was thinking about pancakes. Sourdough pancakes.  As an fyi, the link above is not for sourdough pancakes, even though the geniuses at the Food Network like to call them that.

This one is though...nourished kitchen.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

With my starter now up and running, I was thinking about pancakes. Sourdough pancakes.  As an fyi, the link above is not for sourdough pancakes, even though the geniuses at the Food Network like to call them that.

Oh, sorry. Should have looked more carefully. I just recalled it being so super easy, and the recipes/methods being so similar, that I just looked for a quick link.

Keep the faith, Anna! You'll get there; but then you'll have to start baking sourdough.

Nothing would make me happier! (All right that's a bit of an overstatement.)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

With my starter now up and running, I was thinking about pancakes. Sourdough pancakes. As an fyi, the link above is not for sourdough pancakes, even though the geniuses at the Food Network like to call them that.

As you know from this thread, I am new to sourdough. I did make the pancakes in the Food Network link, although I used my own starter. To me, the ingredients in the two recipes look very similar so I would like to know, what makes the one from Nourishedkitchen more authentic than the one from Food Network if you are using your own starter? Is it the flour (I use I unbleached AP flour vs the grain flour) that makes the difference or the fact you mix the flour with the starter 8 to 12 hours before you use it? Thank you. Edited by ElsieD (log)

Take a look at that starter in the Food Network recipe linked. It's made with commercial yeast.  1.5 tablespoons of it!  Hardly a sourdough starter, more like some weird poolish.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Take a look at that starter in the Food Network recipe linked. It's made with commercial yeast.  1.5 tablespoons of it!  Hardly a sourdough starter, more like some weird poolish.

As I said, I did not use the FN "starter", I used my own starter made as per Mick's instructions. As I had never made sourdough pancakes before, I had to start somewhere and I was grateful for the link. I did use the measured amounts of the other imgredients called for in that recipe and we were very happy with the results. I am hoping that someone can answer my question which is, using your own starter, not using the "starter" called for in the FN recipe, what is it that makes the recipe provided by the Nourished kitchen so much better than the FN? Is it the overnight sit of the flour mixed with the starter or the type of flour used?

I'm wondering about the baking soda, which appears in both pancake recipes mentioned above. What it is doing there? Is it just for browning? But the pancakes will be fried, so wouldn't they brown anyway? Re the question above (if I may), I think the addition of yeast (and so much of it) moves it away from actual sourdough, even though it uses a starter. It doesn't make either recipe better or not better, it's just a question of whether or not it is sourdough. I think that's the crux of Mick's thread, the idea that commercial yeast is really unnecessary. But that baking soda, really, what would happen if you left it out? (For the record, I'll never try either of these. I hate pancakes altogether, sourdough or not sourdough, not nobody not no-how. It's a texture thing.)

From what I have read, I think that baking soda is a browning aid, but I don't know that for sure as I am not an experienced baker. I did make sourdough pancakes again today using the Nourishedkitchen recipe. It calls for the addition of flour to the starter which is left on the counter for between 8 to 12 hours. Mine was left for 12. The FN recipe did not call for additional flour nor did it call for any sitting time. In both recipes I used my own starter, no commercial yeast added. I preferred the FN recipe as I found it to be more tender. The NK one definitely had more chew to it. But, I guess it depends on how you like your pancakes.

Hey cakewalk and Elsie.  Regarding baking soda in the sourdough pancake recipes, the other thing it adds is leavening, at least when used with a true sourdough starter.  (This is in addition to the leavening produced by the yeast.) The starter, of course, is a bit sour, from lactic and acetic acids.  These react with the baking soda, which is mildly alkaline, to produce bubbles.  The same thing happens with Irish soda bread, only the acidic agent is buttermilk.  In both cases, the reaction probably neutralizes any effect of soda on browning.  But, as cakewalk says, that's not a problem, as the pancakes are fried.

As for your last question, cakewalk, absolutely.  In fact, that's a common reason for making sourdough pancakes.

• Like 2

I fed both my starters on Thursday night and made a "preferment" with 60g of discarded starter, 225g of flour and 225g water.  Left if covered on the counter over night.  

Sourdough%20Biga%20October%2031st%2C%202

Sourdough%20Biga%20October%2031st%2C%202

This is what it looked like 7 hours later.

It went into a batch of dough Friday morning  - 1000g flour, 680g water and 27g salt.   Two autolyze rests, and a number of stretch and folds over the first hour and then into the fridge.  It came out of the fridge today just before 3:00pm and was ready to shape shortly after 6:00 pm.

Sourdough%20November%201st%2C%202014-L.j

Baked in Dutch Ovens.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

So it has been a few days since I mixed up a stirrable concoction of flour and water. This morning it looked like this.

I moved it into a clean container and added 100 g of flour and 100 g of filtered water. I covered it loosely it with saran wrap and crossed all my toes and all my fingers.

image.jpg

I was away all day and came home to this!

image.jpg

If I understand things correctly tomorrow I will discard one half of this and feed the remaining with equal parts flour and water. Cover it loosely and let it sit for another day.

Edited to add

And repeat that same procedure for a few days until I am satisfied that I have a healthy starter.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

The next installment of the Serious Eats bread series is up. As mentioned before, he is not dealing with sourdough. But his information is excellent, especially today because he is troubleshooting possible problems that can be applied also to sourdough baking. He says he will eventually get to sourdough.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/troubleshoot-bad-bread-messed-up-loaf.html

The next installment of the Serious Eats bread series is up. As mentioned before, he is not dealing with sourdough. But his information is excellent, especially today because he is troubleshooting possible problems that can be applied also to sourdough baking. He says he will eventually get to sourdough.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/troubleshoot-bad-bread-messed-up-loaf.html

Thanks for this link. I didn't know about it and plan to read all that he has to say on the subject.