• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cakewalk

cakewalk

punkchooayshun

Agree with Smithy about splitting the starter in half. And then in half again! It lets you try different things. After you feed your starter are you refrigerating it? Or letting it sit at room temperature? Also, are you starting a whole wheat starter? It's much easier to get a starter going with regular bread flour (or rye flour, that usually works best), and then after it's going well to split it in half and start feeding one half with the flour you eventually want to bake your bread with. Keep the bread flour starter going as well. When I first started playing around with starters I had bread flour, rye flour, and whole wheat flour starters. It was like feeding a baby. Or three. Now I just maintain one bread flour starter. I use it for whatever bread I'm making. If I want a whole grain bread I'll split the starter in half, then start feeding half with WW flour until it's ready. Actually sometimes I don't even bother with that. I'll use the bread flour starter as-is and just add WW flour as I mix the dough. I'm probably a lot less precise about this stuff than you're trying to be. But my bread is pretty good, no complaints. 

cakewalk

cakewalk

Agree with Smithy about splitting the starter in half. And then in half again! It let's you try different things. After you feed your starter are you refrigerating it? Or letting it sit at room temperature? Also, are you starting a whole wheat starter? It's much easier to get a starter going with regular bread flour (or rye flour, that usually works best), and then after it's going well to split it in half and start feeding one half with the flour you eventually want to bake your bread with. Keep the bread flour starter going as well. When I first started playing around with starters I had bread flour, rye flour, and whole wheat flour starters. It was like feeding a baby. Or three. Now I just maintain one bread flour starter. I use it for whatever bread I'm making. If I want a whole grain bread I'll split the starter in half, then start feeding half with WW flour until it's ready. Actually sometimes I don't even bother with that. I'll use the bread flour starter as-is and just add WW flour as I mix the dough. I'm probably a lot less precise about this stuff than you're trying to be. But my bread is pretty good, no complaints.