• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastryani

pastryani

Wow so impressed by all your bubbly and active starters.  I used to have one which I ended up killing by neglect.  It was equal parts white flour and water by weight (I think that makes it 100%?).  

Anyhow I've been craving some seriously sour-tasting sourdough bread, which means it's time to start a new starter.  So I have a couple of questions.

1.  What is the most ideal composition and conditions for the most sour of sourdough starters?

2.  Is it safe to put dairy in a starter?  I saw a YouTube video that was equal parts white flour and low fat yogurt.  It's an interesting idea and they had great results after 16-17 days (it tripled in volume), but I've never heard of dairy in a starter before and have some concerns about it going bad since it'll be at room temp.

pastryani

pastryani

Wow so impressed by all your bubbly and active starters.  I used to have one which I ended up killing by neglect.  It was equal parts white flour and water by weight (I think that makes it 100%?).  

Anyhow I've been craving some seriously sour-tasting sourdough bread, which means it's time to start a new starter.  So I have a couple of questions.

1.  What is the most ideal composition and conditions or the most sour of sourdough starters?

2.  Is it safe to put dairy in a starter?  I saw a YouTube video that was equal parts white flour and low fat yogurt.  It's an interesting idea and they had great results after 16-17 days (it tripled in volume), but I've never heard of dairy in a starter before and have some concerns about it going bad since it'll be at room temp.

pastryani

pastryani

Wow so impressed at all your bubbly and active starters.  I used to have one which I ended up killing by neglect.  It was equal parts white flour and water by weight (I think that makes it 100%?).  

1.  What is the most ideal composition and conditions or the most sour of sourdough starters?