• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected misspelled word

Two and a half years ago, I discovered and fell in love with San Luis Sourdough's Rosemary Olive Oil bread.  It has a pleasantly sour bite, good texture, just the right hint of rosemary, and makes killer grilled cheese sandwiches.  Unfortunately it's hard to find: it seems only to be available in California - maybe in Arizona - and it's not carried by every grocery chain.  I decided to try to make something like it for myself, given my difficulty getting it.  

I was just able to score a couple of loaves of the San Luis bread, and as it happened I had a freshly-baked loaf of my attempt.  Here they are, for comparison:

5699b79e74c29_Breadcomparison1.jpg.d66d9

Theirs, on the left, has better shape.  I'm still working on timing, and tend to overproof my loaves due to inattention or poor planning, with the result that my rounds aren't very.  Theirs crisps beautifully in the toaster, but since it's an all-white bread it can get mushy when bitten.  Grand flavor, especially with the above-noted grilled cheese sandwich. I've been overindulging on them lately, but without adequate freezer space I must use this bread before the mold gets it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mine, on the right, is half whole-wheat.  At 80% hydration, with a good slow initial proof, it's getting a good airy crumb.  It's a bit firmer than theirs, and doesn't get the contrast of crisp shattery exterior with soft interior from the toaster, but it also doesn't get mushy.  I haven't tried it yet with the grilled cheese sandwich treatment, but I'm very pleased with its flavor as toast or standard sandwich bread. 

5699b79f8eaa2_Breadcomparison2.jpg.0f32b

Progress: it's what pulls the world forward!  I'm quite chuffed.

Smithy

Smithy

Two and a half years ago, I discovered and fell in love with San Luis Sourdough's Rosemary Olive Oil bread.  It has a pleasantly sour bite, good texture, just the right hint of rosemary, and makes killer grilled cheese sandwiches.  Unfortunately it's hard to find: it seems only to be available in California - maybe in Arizona - and it's not carried by every grocery chain.  I decided to try to make something like it for myself, given my difficulty getting it.  

I was just able to score a couple of loaves of the San Luis bread, and as it happened I had a freshly-baked loaf of my attempt.  Here they are, for comparison:

5699b79e74c29_Breadcomparison1.jpg.d66d9

Theirs, on the left, has better shape.  I'm still working on timing, and tend to overproof my loaves due to inattention or poor planning, with the result that my rounds aren't very.  Theirs crisps beautifully in the toaster, but since it's an all-white bread it can get mushy when bitten.  Grand flavor, especially with the above-noted grilled cheese sandwich. I've been overindulging on them lately, but without adequate freezer space I must use this bread before the mold gets it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mine, on the right, is half whole-wheat.  At 80% hydration, with a good slow initial proof, it's getting a good airy crumb.  It's a bit firmer than theirs, and doesn't get the contrast of crisp shattery exterior with soft interior from the toaster, but it also doesn't get mush.  I haven't tried it yet with the grilled cheese sandwich treatment, but I'm very pleased with its flavor as toast or standard sandwich bread. 

5699b79f8eaa2_Breadcomparison2.jpg.0f32b

Progress: it's what pulls the world forward!  I'm quite chuffed.