• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weighing Confectioner's Sugar

Kim Shook

I would be confused too. Sifting should not change the weight. Is the recipe from a trustworthy source? 

Sifting will change the weight of a given volume because it adds air.

Kim, I don't know what to tell you.  Split the difference and use 4 oz per cup?  If it's for an icing, you can start at the low end and add more to your desired taste/texture, but not everything is so forgiving.

Thank you for responding!!  The recipe is for meringue 'cupcakes'.  It is a recipe I've actually made before, but not for a long time.  Here's a link: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/GlutenFree/Pink_Meringue_Cupcakes.html  .  Maybe I should just measure and sift and not worry about weight this one time!  :rolleyes:

Sifting will change the weight of a given volume because it adds air.

That is correct. My statement, which did not answered the OP very well, means that sifting does not change the weight of a product. It clearly does change the volume.

Measure and sift, then weigh it so next time you know.

This is the best answer given to the OP, although you can weigh before or after sifting because it won't change!

Edited by cyalexa (log)

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This question shows the reason for recipes to always be given in weight, and not volume. As it was given by the OP, it means "measure 4 ½ cups of the sugar THEN sift it". Do what JNW says - weigh the sugar after measuring and change your volume in your recipe to reflect the weight for future use - you will then always be correct without any deliberation.

By the way Kim, your saved recipe you pointed to just says "sugar", not "confectioners sugar". Maybe you should correct that as well. Hope they turn out well and are appreciated by your guest.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I'm an idiot.  I linked to the wrong recipe!  The actual recipe is this one: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/CAKESandPIES/Gingerbread_Cake_w_Cranberry_Filling.html .  I will do as suggested and weigh after measuring and add that to the recipe.  I HATE it when weight isn't given.  As much as I hate when a recipe calls for 'one medium onion'.  What the heck is that?

Thank you all for your help!