• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot drinks made with cider, pineapple or cranberry juice, etc.

lindag

Now that we're full into Fall I love making hot (alcoholic) drinks. 

I have a couple recipes that I've used for many years; one, called Percolator Punch I make every year.

This year so far I've only made a hot cider with orange slices, clove studded apple, cinnamon - recipe from Emeril.

What hot drinks do you make?  And what alcohol do you add?

Gluhwein,of course. And Hot Buttered Rum.

But my favorite of all is a Hot Apple Pie.

It's not only my personal favorite autumn/winter drink, it's what I always serve at parties.

You start with mulled, spiced apple cider. Then add a generous glug or two of Tuaca. Top with whipped cream and a light dusting of apple pie spice.

For parties, I always have my spiced cider simmering in the crockpot, with the bottle of Tuaca, the whipped cream, the pumpkin pie spices and an assortment of mugs next to it. The aroma of the spiced cider is heavenly when my guests arrive. And children, or anyone else that prefers a non-alcoholic drink, can have just the cider.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hot Buttered Rum is a favorite during ski season.

Lots of other ideas here.

Thanks for that link to that fun previous thread. I had to laugh when I saw that the very first post was about a Hot Apple Pie.

I well recall the first one I ever had. It was the mid-1980's and we had just moved to Fairbanks, Alaska. Our new neighbors invited us to dinner at a popular local restaurant, the Chena Pump House. Our table was not ready when we arrived so we all repaired to the bar, a beautiful room overlooking the Chena River. The aroma of hot spiced drinks was unmistakable. I was pondering which of the many intriguing concoctions on the "Hot Drinks Menu" to order when our host said, "Hot Apple Pies all around!"

And Hot Apple Pies all around it has been for me ever since.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We may get into the old discussion about what you call cider may not be what I call cider ... no, let's not: what I call cider is alcoholic, and our current favourite is this one.  There we go.

Anyway, to your question.  There's a recipe we enjoy that came in a little booklet attached to a Domaine de Canton bottle.  It's called a Ginger Toddy and comprises two parts hot cider (or tea, or sake) to one part Domaine de Canton.  We put it all in a Pyrex jug and warm it up in the microwave, and it's a really good, simple, warming drink for a cold evening.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

When I was a kid, my grandmother often fermented cider down in her basement.

To the never-ending delight of my brother and his buddies.