• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with dark chocolate fudge and fruit caramel recipes

oferl

On 10/18/2014 at 5:01 AM, Kerry Beal said:

A thought on the Genin Caramels - where you add the fruit puree determines whether they will taste more caramel or more fruit.  Cooking the caramel first then adding the puree and recooking gives more caramel flavour.  

Linking to the final notes I have in my cookbook here 

• 300 grams glucose
  • 375 grams sugar
  • 75 grams water
  • 50 grams butter
  • 50 grams honey
  • 500 grams cream
  • 200 grams fruit puree 140 g passion fruit/60 g mango
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
1.Follow the usual directions, bring to 118 degrees C, then add fruit puree and bring back to 123 C. Test to see if firm enough in cold water.
2.Other option was 200 g cream, 150 grams each of mango and passion fruit, all added as for cream. Again bring to 123 C.

So I’m thoroughly confused (not uncommon for me 😄)

I thought adding fruit at the beginning and therefore cooking it longer would reduce that “fresh” fruit flavor? 

Also - is it better to have a slow and steady heat or a quick and high heat if cooking all the ingredients (including the fruit) together?

On 12/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, Tri2Cook said:

That's what I was worried about... worried enough that combined with you suspecting the same, I'm just gonna leave that one in the dessert where I already use it. The older daughter really likes the dessert I use it in so I was gonna try to capture it in a bonbon but I'll explore other ways to get the same flavors in it.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.  Wybauw has a banana and passion fruit caramel that (in my most recent measurement) ends up at .50 Aw.  He uses cream plus banana and passion fruit in the caramel.  The problem with it is that it is impossible to cook it to a usual caramel temp because it splatters so much and the banana tends to burn.  So he calls for adding some white chocolate at the end, which eventually thickens the mixture.  The butter tends to separate, but I mix the whole thing in a food processor, and it comes out beautifully and is delicious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.  Wybauw has a banana and passion fruit caramel that (in my most recent measurement) ends up at .50 Aw.  He uses cream plus banana and passion fruit in the caramel.  The problem with it is that it is impossible to cook it to a usual caramel temp because it splatters so much and the banana tends to burn.  So he calls for adding some white chocolate at the end, which eventually thickens the mixture.  The butter tends to separate, but I mix the whole thing in a food processor, and it comes out beautifully and is delicious.

That sounds tasty. Is it similar to the recipe Kerry posted but with the addition of banana? I have a bit of a conundrum right now, I have some extra time off work over the holidays that I want to spend doing chocolate work but several of the recipes I want to do require cream and the entire town* is completely sold out right now. I'm crossing my fingers more will arrive early next week.

*which isn't as big a thing as it sounds like, it's a tiny town and only two places in town carry it when it is available.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

That sounds tasty. Is it similar to the recipe Kerry posted but with the addition of banana? I have a bit of a conundrum right now, I have some extra time off work over the holidays that I want to spend doing chocolate work but several of the recipes I want to do require cream and the entire town* is completely sold out right now. I'm crossing my fingers more will arrive early next week.

*which isn't as big a thing as it sounds like, it's a tiny town and only two places in town carry it when it is available.

I hesitate to tell you that I got 500 ml containers of heavy cream at Fortino's for $1.99 the other day. Had to buy 4.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Yes, similar, but it has more white chocolate (and no plain cocoa butter).  I also add some dark rum.

Sounds tasty and just about covers all the bases for the flavors I'm after. I'll have to play around with it when I can get my hands on some cream again. I have plans to play around with your Pomona pectin pdf too, finally got some of the pectin.

52 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I hesitate to tell you that I got 500 ml containers of heavy cream at Fortino's for $1.99 the other day. Had to buy 4.

I would have too. I was in the store on Monday and there was cream everywhere so I wasn't concerned. Went back yesterday and it was all gone. Checked in again today just in case, still gone. So I checked the other store that carries it and they were cleaned out as well. Hopefully they'll reload early in the week.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Sounds tasty and just about covers all the bases for the flavors I'm after. I'll have to play around with it when I can get my hands on some cream again. I have plans to play around with your Pomona pectin pdf too, finally got some of the pectin.

I would have too. I was in the store on Monday and there was cream everywhere so I wasn't concerned. Went back yesterday and it was all gone. Checked in again today just in case, still gone. So I checked the other store that carries it and they were cleaned out as well. Hopefully they'll reload early in the week.

I suppose buying your own cow would be too much trouble?

• Haha 4

On 12/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, Kerry Beal said:

i don't know why but for some reason this whole past year the 473mL containers of heavy cream have been cheaper per millilitre than the 1L cartons so i've been buying them by the cartload.

A question on fudge:  A friend (who does not belong to eGullet) asked me the following question.  I am posting it here for suggestions, as fudge is well beyond my knowledge and experience:

One of the treats I made for Christmas was a white chocolate raspberry fudge.  It was very easy to make, tasted good, but had a terrible, sticky, gooey consistency.  I read that adding baking soda would thicken it and give it a more fudge-like consistency.  Have you ever had a similar experience?  What do you think about the baking soda suggestion? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 minute ago, Jim D. said:

A question on fudge:  A friend (who does not belong to eGullet) asked me the following question.  I am posting it here for suggestions, as fudge is well beyond my knowledge and experience:

One of the treats I made for Christmas was a white chocolate raspberry fudge.  It was very easy to make, tasted good, but had a terrible, sticky, gooey consistency.  I read that adding baking soda would thicken it and give it a more fudge-like consistency.  Have you ever had a similar experience?  What do you think about the baking soda suggestion? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Confectionery 101