• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonality

Arey

Some things which were once seasonal are now available year round. but I don't want them year round. Case in point ;Ivins Spiced Wafers.  Last Monday while in the local Acme supermarket, I saw the familiar black and orange cartons, it's October, Halloween is near, so of course I bought a box of them. They're in the Acme all year round now, but I don't want them all year round, I only want them in October.  In two months I'll be buying Springerles at one of the two bakerys in Atlantic County that carry them during the Christmas season. They're not available all year round, but even if they were I probably would only buy them in December.

Is there anything that was a once a year treat for you and  is now available all year round but you only buy when its the season for it. 

edited because I misspelled Ivins, but like I said, I only buy a box once a year.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Asparagus.

Rhubarb.

Berries of all kinds have their own 'seasons' for me (strawberries usually in June, raspberries in July, blueberries in August and early September, cranberries from late October to Christmas) and I rarely buy them out of season - though if I picked/grew my own I may freeze them and use them occasionally out of season.

Springerle is also Christmas season only for me because that is when my mother used to make them.

Corn candy is Halloween only - not that I eat it much any more at all.

Maple candy/sugar - only fresh in the spring (though it is available all year long).

Edited by Deryn (log)

Fresh corn.  Some things that I grow - I can get leeks all year round but now is when they are ready in my garden and I can't quite  value them at other times.  And I can not imagine eating stollen except at Christmas.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Fruit cake is only for Christmas (and left overs for as long as I can stretch them into January).   And Lebkuchen, ditto.  In fact, all the Christmas cookies.

And stuffing -- it's only for Thanksgiving (and maybe Christmas, if I'm forced to make turkey again).

Most fruits and veg I try to eat only in season and local, but since we live in a cold northern place, sometimes I break that rule.  But it just seems wrong to be eating asparagus in December.

Hmmm...fruitcake.  A friend gives out the booziest fruitcake every year.  OMG, it is so wonderful.  Add to that Tortiere which DH makes according to a French-Canadian recipe given to him decades ago. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.