• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 different pasteurization times for chicken from MC and MCaH?

torolover

What is the pasteurization hold time for chicken breast?

According to Modern Cuisine's Extended and Simplified Table, at 150F it's only 1 min 10 seconds, and at 140F it's 11 min. 34 seconds.

Does this mean that once i get the center of my chicken breast to 150F, and I hold it at 150F or slightly higher for 1 min. 10 seconds, its pasteurized?

Why does my Modern Cuisine at Home say once you reach a core temp of 140F, you need to hold from 20 min. to pasteurize?  The original Modern Cuisine say at 140F, you only 11 min. 34 seconds to pasteurize?  Which one is correct?

I have both at home and cannot consult them now, but something to take into account is that in simplified tables in MC they only consider Salmonella for pasteurizing poultry, if I remember correctly. "Full" pasteurization should consider also other more heat-resistant or slower-to-kill pathogens like C. Perfringens or Listeria, like the SousVideDash app does, and that results in longer pasteurization times.