• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Resistant starch" -- cold (and reheated) pasta moderates glucose spike

Alex

Full story here (from the BBC)

If these findings hold up under further rigorous scrutiny, it could be a game-changer. As someone who's supposed to (but doesn't always) minimize my carbohydrate intake, this is exciting news. I wonder if it also applies to cold or reheated pizza (the subject of a recent topic).

Just as expected, eating cold pasta led to a smaller spike in blood glucose and insulin than eating freshly boiled pasta had.

But then we found something that we really didn't expect - cooking, cooling and then reheating the pasta had an even more dramatic effect. Or, to be precise, an even smaller effect on blood glucose.

In fact, it reduced the rise in blood glucose by 50%.

This certainly suggests that reheating the pasta made it into an even more "resistant starch". It's an extraordinary result and one never measured before.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wonder if this is true for white rice, also...

The article mentioned not only pasta, but potatoes and white rice as well.

I sent the link to my physician and asked her opinion about the story.

Posted while enjoying a baked potato ...

• Like 1

... Shel

This sounds like the essence of "retrograding" potato starch that MC discusses.

If true with potatoes, then properly made (ie twice fried) French fries would be less fattening than once fried.

And reheated lasagna is less fattening than fresh out of the pan.

Brilliant!

• Like 4

That's maybe the longevity secret of my grandparents. I'm joking...I don't really know.

But for sure I LOVE reheated pasta. Two ways: 1. leftover already dressed with some of my ragu'. Not too much otherwise doesn't make a nice crust and then reheated in cast iron skillet with some lard or olive oil untill gets a little crunchy (orecchiette are my favorite for this). 2. frittata di pasta. Spaghetti, left over, lightly dress with a simple tomato sauce. I make more just for that. Very little egg. Still a small cast iron skillet.

• Like 3

Interesting thing about this is that a lot of the starches we eat have already been cooked and cooled (bread, for example) and often reheated again (toast, for example). I doing think any of us are getting slimmer!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

The article mentioned not only pasta, but potatoes and white rice as well.

I sent the link to my physician and asked her opinion about the story.

Posted while enjoying a baked potato ...

It doesn't say anything about reheated rice or potatoes, though. I'm very interested in this, as I grew up on basmati rice and don't cook it too much anymore.

Yesterday, I was reading this. Really, 130 F/60 C?

That doesn't sound very appetizing - that is, to people who prefer their meals hot - does it? I wonder to what temperature the food was reheated in the study cited by the BBC (see first post in this topic). I just reread the article and didn't find a temperature.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That doesn't sound very appetizing - that is, to people who prefer their meals hot - does it? I wonder to what temperature the food was reheated in the study cited by the BBC (see first post in this topic). I just reread the article and didn't find a temperature.

That was my question about the quoted study above - how did they reheat and what temperature?  And whether retrograde starch is thermo-reversable to 'regular' starch depending on the method of reheating.  

• Like 1

That was my question about the quoted study above - how did they reheat and what temperature?  And whether retrograde starch is thermo-reversable to 'regular' starch depending on the method of reheating.  

I did some Google searching, which revealed this more detailed article in the online Daily Mail, which mentioned the specific pasta and sauce, but still no specific information about how it was reheated and to what temp. I think the study was reported in this episode of "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor", on BBC2, but it's available online only in the UK, and only for the next 25 days.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I posted this link before, but it got snipped in the topic split.

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resistant-primer-newbies.html

It has lots of info on resistant starch. My understanding is that retrograded resistant starch stays so after normal reheating. In fact, subsequent reheating and cooling produces additional retrograded resistant starch.

The limit of 130F refers, I believe, to things that have resistant starch before cooking. Green bananas for example. Cooked green bananas woul lose the resistant starch that they have when raw. I don't know if cooling them introduces retrograde RS. A number of people, myself included, drink water with raw potato starch. Copious RS. But cooking the potato starch, or putting it in hot coffee, would turn the resistant starches to digestible sugars.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it does work for rice, particularly sushi rice. The cooling effect forms that resistant starch layer. But this only works when it's cooled. 

takadi- Is there any difference between the results for long, medium, or short grain rice?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

According to what I've read, long grain rice more readily forms resistant starch than short or medium grain rice. 

Here's a great article I found on this topic

http://www.montignac.com/en/the-factors-that-modify-glycemic-indexes/

takadi-I just read that article, Brilliant!!!!!! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)