• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tips for estimating quantities for holiday bazaar

Susanne Hindle Kher

I have my first holiday bazaar gig and am very excited. It occurred to me that I have no idea how many chocolates to make for this fair. They estimate 1500 attendance and it's at a private club (golf course, spa, etc).

How do you estimate quantities? I did read through an excellent thread on the topic of fairs, but didn't come across formulas or strategies for estimating how much.

Thanks.

it depends on how you are presenting(packaging, individual pieces, ect..)  what I usually do for by the piece is 1 1/2 per person.  The situation you are dealing with is a little different, its almost going to a farmers market.  Can you provide a short list of products you were thinking about serving/selling?  the last thing you want to do is make 1500 truffles and only 300 sell. 

Do you already have a customer base? Will the attendees be familiar with your products? Basically, it is a crap shoot. You just never know how much you will sell or what. What sells really great on day one, hardly moves on day two. Do you have a plan for what is left over?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Do you already have a customer base? Will the attendees be familiar with your products? Basically, it is a crap shoot. You just never know how much you will sell or what. What sells really great on day one, hardly moves on day two. Do you have a plan for what is left over?

I'm just starting out, so I don't have a customer base or name recognition. And with Thanksgiving right after this event, I have a feeling I won't have too much trouble finding homes for at least 100 chocolates. But, ideally, I'd rather not have lots of leftovers. My goal with this event is really to better understand customers and their tastes and buying preferences. Thanks for your insights.

it depends on how you are presenting(packaging, individual pieces, ect..)  what I usually do for by the piece is 1 1/2 per person.  The situation you are dealing with is a little different, its almost going to a farmers market.  Can you provide a short list of products you were thinking about serving/selling?  the last thing you want to do is make 1500 truffles and only 300 sell. 

Thanks Matthew. I read in a different thread on holiday bazaars to limit the different types of products to no more than 12. I'm still figuring out which chocolates I make best and will offer those types at the bazaar. 

The craft show setting is quite the crap shoot. I've been doing them for about 11-12 years.  Each year, I'd increase my supply more and more, and still sell out.  I'm not sure what the draw is, but around here- anything that is locally produced gets snatched up quick. 

I've done the show at the college here for several years, and I have never seen people so crazed to get their hands on local chocolate items.  The show began at 10am- and I was completely sold out by 11:30. I keep track of the numbers for future shows so I can adjust my supplies. This is what I had on hand when I sold out at that last show.

12pc truffle assortment,  30 boxes.

Double layered peppermint bark....20 boxes;

Swiss almonds---24 bags;

Peanut brittle---12 bags

Between the chocolate espresso beans, dark chocolate dried cherries, and additional maltballs....100 bags.

Gone in 90 minutes. 

Have ample business cards available.

Your signage should have something about "locally made" and "Artisan confections" - huge attention grabber.

Have an order/invoice book on hand, so you can take orders from individuals if you sell out.  I found that it was helpful to keep one sample package of each item, until the end of the show. That way, if customers come along, and want to actually see what you offer, you can show them.   At the very end, someone will come along and buy your sample packages. 

Packaging.  This makes all the difference.  I did coordinating boxes, tissue, bags and gift cards. All of it is rolled into the price of the item. When people realize that, they are more than happy to dole out the few extra bucks for the gift packaging.   I had several different patterns to offer, and it really went over well.

It seemed like the closer it would get to Christmas, the faster the items sold- and the more aggressive the customers became. It got to the point where I'd have to bring my oldest daughter with me to help bag all the items, and take orders. So, if you have a kid or good friend handy, take them along.  (The other crafters would "hire" my daughter to watch their stands while they ran to grab food or whatever. She got "paid" with hand-sewn stuffed animals, tupperware, hand woven mittens, and baked goods.)

Funny story: A few years ago, I had two ladies fighting over the last box of truffles.  The one lady had started writing me a check, but the other one just threw the cash on the table, grabbed the box and ran. :shock:   (I was thinking about getting a body guard after that last show!)  I didn't think my truffles warranted a yelling match in a public venue, but whatever. Chocolate can make people crazy. So beware. :raz:

HTH-- Andrea

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

The craft show setting is quite the crap shoot. I've been doing them for about 11-12 years.  Each year, I'd increase my supply more and more, and still sell out.  I'm not sure what the draw is, but around here- anything that is locally produced gets snatched up quick. 

I've done the show at the college here for several years, and I have never seen people so crazed to get their hands on local chocolate items.  The show began at 10am- and I was completely sold out by 11:30. I keep track of the numbers for future shows so I can adjust my supplies. This is what I had on hand when I sold out at that last show.

Swiss almonds---24 bags;

Peanut brittle---12 bags

Between the chocolate espresso beans, dark chocolate dried cherries, and additional maltballs....100 bags.

Gone in 90 minutes. 

Your signage should have something about "locally made" and "Artisan confections" - huge attention grabber.

Have an order/invoice book on hand, so you can take orders from individuals if you sell out.  I found that it was helpful to keep one sample package of each item, until the end of the show. That way, if customers come along, and want to actually see what you offer, you can show them.   At the very end, someone will come along and buy your sample packages. 

Packaging.  This makes all the difference.  I did coordinating boxes, tissue, bags and gift cards. All of it is rolled into the price of the item. When people realize that, they are more than happy to dole out the few extra bucks for the gift packaging.   I had several different patterns to offer, and it really went over well.

It seemed like the closer it would get to Christmas, the faster the items sold- and the more aggressive the customers became. It got to the point where I'd have to bring my oldest daughter with me to help bag all the items, and take orders. So, if you have a kid or good friend handy, take them along.  (The other crafters would "hire" my daughter to watch their stands while they ran to grab food or whatever. She got "paid" with hand-sewn stuffed animals, tupperware, hand woven mittens, and baked goods.)

Funny story: A few years ago, I had two ladies fighting over the last box of truffles.  The one lady had started writing me a check, but the other one just threw the cash on the table, grabbed the box and ran. :shock:   (I was thinking about getting a body guard after that last show!)  I didn't think my truffles warranted a yelling match in a public venue, but whatever. Chocolate can make people crazy. So beware. :raz:

HTH-- Andrea

Andrea, you're amazing. Thank you so much! I suspect your chocolates must also be very good and beautiful to generate such fervor! I can only hope to have such an experience. Your tips are exactly what I was hoping for. Can't thank you enough!

OH!  Samples!!!  That was a definite help. 

I had some antique stems that belonged to my great grandparents, and got handed down. They were pretty ornate. I filled each one with different samples of the espresso beans malt balls, cherries, almonds, etc..  I also had a tiered platter, and for all the reject truffles (cracked or funny shaped), I'd cut them into fourths, and place a couple types on each tier, along with labels. That way, customers were afforded the opportunity to try before they buy.

For the big craft show, I made a dark chocolate bowl on pedestal. (I think that was from an Elaine Gonzales book.)  I made it more winter-friendly looking, using a snowflake mold, some lustre dust, and edible glitter.  I brushed the white chocolate snowflakes with lustre dust for a shine, and attached them onto the outer edges of the bowl. Lightly sprinkled the edible glitter all over.  Filled it full of the peppermint bark scraps.   (I hate wasting things!!!)

Near the end of the show, there were these cranky little kids tugging at their dad's arm, crying because they wanted to leave. I enticed them to come over to the table and showed them that they could eat the bowl.  I can still remember how their eyes popped right out of their heads!   It was a great Willie Wonka moment.  The dad about flipped his lid when he saw- what the thought was his children destroying my display. So, I assured him that it was my idea, and broke a piece off for him to try.  :smile:  The kids started screaming..."You can eat the bowl!!!   You can really eat it!!!!"   It went pretty quickly after that.

Samples are good, and its a great way to make use of any "rejects".  Just have fun with it, whatever you do,  When you see a child's face light up like that (or an adult!)  it makes all the hours of labor completely worth it. 

-Andrea

• Like 2

-Andrea

Chocomom, what would you estimate the attendance is at this craft show? I think that's an important factor. OTOH, there is a limit to the number of people you can talk or sell to per hour, so at an event where there are 5000 people, you will still probably only talk to 500 of them.

I've only done a few events so far, but I agree they are a crapshoot, and what you sample tends to sell.

Also consider shelf life and whether people will be buying things and trying to save them until Christmas. People need a little education about preservative-free confections.

Well, the first time I did it - I didn't have a clue. But, learned afterwards that the attendance was roughly 800- 1,000.  The second and third times, 1200+.  I kept increasing my supplies, and it was just never enough.  That was a nice problem to have.  But, since I had products at several hotels, I could direct the out-of-towners to those locations as well. 

There were many items that had very low Aw (Iike malt balls and the espresso beans), plus confectionary coating. I've never worried about those. They traveled better-- so a lot of the items that were going to be eaten later were quite safe.  I've also taken to spraying confectionery spray on some of then hand-dipped truffles- just to keep a nice appearance. I figured that the liquors,  added properly and in the correct amounts,  would serve as a decent preservative. And, I use Trimoline as well- so crystallization hasn't been a problem, either.

I did shows right up until 2 weeks before Chirstmas previously.  During those last two weeks though, I'd get knocks on the door looking for more because some of these customers would eat the candies that were supposed to be gifts, and then have to buy more - that was quite fresh.  It boggles my mind to no end how crazy people go for chocolate. It shouldn't surprise me, because I'm the same way.   

• Like 1

-Andrea

OH!  Samples!!!  That was a definite help. 

I had some antique stems that belonged to my great grandparents, and got handed down. They were pretty ornate. I filled each one with different samples of the espresso beans malt balls, cherries, almonds, etc..  I also had a tiered platter, and for all the reject truffles (cracked or funny shaped), I'd cut them into fourths, and place a couple types on each tier, along with labels. That way, customers were afforded the opportunity to try before they buy.

For the big craft show, I made a dark chocolate bowl on pedestal. (I think that was from an Elaine Gonzales book.)  I made it more winter-friendly looking, using a snowflake mold, some lustre dust, and edible glitter.  I brushed the white chocolate snowflakes with lustre dust for a shine, and attached them onto the outer edges of the bowl. Lightly sprinkled the edible glitter all over.  Filled it full of the peppermint bark scraps.   (I hate wasting things!!!)

Near the end of the show, there were these cranky little kids tugging at their dad's arm, crying because they wanted to leave. I enticed them to come over to the table and showed them that they could eat the bowl.  I can still remember how their eyes popped right out of their heads!   It was a great Willie Wonka moment.  The dad about flipped his lid when he saw- what the thought was his children destroying my display. So, I assured him that it was my idea, and broke a piece off for him to try.  :smile:  The kids started screaming..."You can eat the bowl!!!   You can really eat it!!!!"   It went pretty quickly after that.

Samples are good, and its a great way to make use of any "rejects".  Just have fun with it, whatever you do,  When you see a child's face light up like that (or an adult!)  it makes all the hours of labor completely worth it. 

-Andrea

Very cool!

• Like 1

Chocomom, what would you estimate the attendance is at this craft show? I think that's an important factor. OTOH, there is a limit to the number of people you can talk or sell to per hour, so at an event where there are 5000 people, you will still probably only talk to 500 of them.

I've only done a few events so far, but I agree they are a crapshoot, and what you sample tends to sell.

Also consider shelf life and whether people will be buying things and trying to save them until Christmas. People need a little education about preservative-free confections.

That's a good point - some people may not understand that there's a "best by" date for preservative-free confections.

Oh, I hit post before I mentioned the cooling factor. I asked each customer the length of time before the truffles will be eaten, (esp. if its a gift), then tell them to keep in a cool, dark place until its opened, then bring to room temp before eating.  (When I ship them out, I put the cold packs in a Ziploc bags, and wrap the actual boxes in bubble wrap or styro-peanuts. That way, there is no direct contact with the cold pack, but the product is kept cool.)

The best part of the whole craft show thing is the face to face interaction with the customers, and making faces light up.  Elderly people morph into little kids.  Kids squeal with delight.  Its just the best feeling in the world when you see what joy a little confection can bring to a person's life.  Can't say that I've ever had that much fun at a "job" - ever! 

• Like 1

-Andrea

I have no idea on the regulations in the US, but ensure that you're following all the local laws and requirements for selling your product; if you have to have a registration certificate for your kitchen, have it, if you need to include ingredient lists and use by dates, have them! The last market I did I had neglected to have hand-washing facilities available in my stall (for myself), and despite not needing to use them (my hands never come in contact with my products), I still received a warning from our local health department.

As for amount to have, it varies so massively here: I've had days where I've done huge turnover (well, I consider it huge) - $1000-$1500, and others where I only do $500 turnover. I have no idea how to guess how much I'm going to need! I usually go with 12 varieties which is a full box for the boxes I use.

Definitely have samples of scraps out, eg. just some honeycomb mixed into some tempered dark chocolate or something, really easy and cheap to make. I have a friend who does truffles and uses his actual product as samples and he has days where he gives away 3/4 of his product as 'free samples' without selling hardly any (no matter how many times I tell him this is ridiculous!)

• Like 1

I have no idea on the regulations in the US, but ensure that you're following all the local laws and requirements for selling your product; if you have to have a registration certificate for your kitchen, have it, if you need to include ingredient lists and use by dates, have them! The last market I did I had neglected to have hand-washing facilities available in my stall (for myself), and despite not needing to use them (my hands never come in contact with my products), I still received a warning from our local health department.

As for amount to have, it varies so massively here: I've had days where I've done huge turnover (well, I consider it huge) - $1000-$1500, and others where I only do $500 turnover. I have no idea how to guess how much I'm going to need! I usually go with 12 varieties which is a full box for the boxes I use.

Definitely have samples of scraps out, eg. just some honeycomb mixed into some tempered dark chocolate or something, really easy and cheap to make. I have a friend who does truffles and uses his actual product as samples and he has days where he gives away 3/4 of his product as 'free samples' without selling hardly any (no matter how many times I tell him this is ridiculous!)

Funny you mention that about free samples. I was just talking to a woman tonight who used to sell at craft fairs and such and she said that if you're not careful some people will eat the whole plate of samples and buy nothing. She suggested cutting truffles or pralines into quarters and keep only a few at a time out for samples, to make it seem like something special (rather than something to be devoured). 

It's really interesting that the sales vary so much - sounds like there's just no good way to estimate this. Somehow I'd thought this might be like advertising or direct mail, where you can "guesstimate" that xx% of people who walk by will buy something.

Thanks for the suggestions.

image.jpg

I make my truffles with slabbed ganache cut on a guitar. For the chocolate festival a few weeks ago, I made a batch of each flavor and cut it into quarters for samples. Molded bonbons get cut into 6 or 8 and are the rejects of the batch. You don't have to give full pieces a la See's, and you can make people ask for samples and dole them out individually instead of leaving a bowlful. I've also seen people use a dab of ganache piped into a candy cup or scooped with a stir stick. You also don't have to give samples of every item.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I make my truffles with slabbed ganache cut on a guitar. For the chocolate festival a few weeks ago, I made a batch of each flavor and cut it into quarters for samples. Molded bonbons get cut into 6 or 8 and are the rejects of the batch. You don't have to give full pieces a la See's, and you can make people ask for samples and dole them out individually instead of leaving a bowlful. I've also seen people use a dab of ganache piped into a candy cup or scooped with a stir stick. You also don't have to give samples of every item.

Oh how I wish I had a guitar :-) These are great ideas and tips, thanks so much!

Honestly, having people ask for samples is a good idea. I have in the past worked for a couple of high end confectionery retailers, and they view sampling as part of the sales process: the proverbial foot-in-the door. They never just have a tray of samples sitting out. The trick is, if you have time and aren't swamped, is to do directed sampling where you give the sample and then talk about the features of the candy as they eat. Then show the packages available, and mention anything else relevant like shipping.

• Like 1

Honestly, having people ask for samples is a good idea. I have in the past worked for a couple of high end confectionery retailers, and they view sampling as part of the sales process: the proverbial foot-in-the door. They never just have a tray of samples sitting out. The trick is, if you have time and aren't swamped, is to do directed sampling where you give the sample and then talk about the features of the candy as they eat. Then show the packages available, and mention anything else relevant like shipping.

That would definitely engage customers a lot more! Thanks

Yeah, not everyone will buy, you'll still get some 'free lunch' types, but it will be far fewer than if the sample tray is sitting out, so you'll go through fewer samples. And, those people who are interested will probably be happier and buy more because you took time to interact with them and cared enough to mention features of your candies. (real chocolate, no trans fat, we roast the nuts ourselves, handcrafted, etc.)

Don't forget to try and sell an additional item with their purchase, too. If they go for a ½lb assortment, be sure to ask: 'do you need to get any other gifts?' 'do you need to get a treat for your family' 'would you care to purchase an extra treat for yourself?'

• Like 1

Yeah, not everyone will buy, you'll still get some 'free lunch' types, but it will be far fewer than if the sample tray is sitting out, so you'll go through fewer samples. And, those people who are interested will probably be happier and buy more because you took time to interact with them and cared enough to mention features of your candies. (real chocolate, no trans fat, we roast the nuts ourselves, handcrafted, etc.)

Don't forget to try and sell an additional item with their purchase, too. If they go for a ½lb assortment, be sure to ask: 'do you need to get any other gifts?' 'do you need to get a treat for your family' 'would you care to purchase an extra treat for yourself?'

Oh Lisa, I chuckled at the "free-lunch" type!  Isn't that the truth?!   I had someone pull that stunt with me some years ago, only it wasn't a customer---it was a fellow crafter! She had a table near mine, and she'd wander over when I was busy with customers, and snatch a couple samples, eat them, then grab more and take them back to her booth.  I was stunned.  By the time the show was over, she'd eaten most of the cherry bomb samples. Never bought a thing from me.  She did that for a couple years before I wised up.  The following year, I put the samples behind my table with a sign stating that samples were available upon request. But, I only did it for that particular show, because that problem was only at that annual show, with that particular crafter.   No problems since then.

On pricing, I employed the "2 -for less" method on the smaller items. The signage would reflect 1 bag of whatevers for $5.50 --- or 2/$10;   or $8.00 each, or 2/$15.  At craft shows, I've observed that many customers don't want to fiddle around for change...so I just go with even dollar amounts, when possible. My own experience has been about 95% of the time, people went for the '2- for less' option.   If I have extra bags/packaging, I'll ask if they are for separate gifts, and if they'd like an extra bag/tissue paper.  While it seems like a small gesture, people remember those little things, and they come back to you over and over.  

It's kind of 'learn as you go' with some of these things.  As long as you enjoy what you do, and its reflected in your smile, attitude and customer service-- you'll do great. I'm so excited to hear how the season goes for you! 

• Like 2

-Andrea

Swiss almonds---24 bags;

Peanut brittle---12 bags

Gone in 90 minutes. 

HTH-- Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I keep reading and re-reading your message, each time gleaning more from it :-)

I hope you don't mind me prying a bit more, but I have some questions.

1) It seems like truffles/chocolate pralines don't sell as much as confections (bark, almonds, fruits, etc.) - did I interpret that correctly?  

2) You mentioned that you sell bark by the box - how do you package that in a box and do you price it by weight?

3) You made a LOT of some items I love making - chocolate covered almonds, cherries, etc. Do you have panning equipment or have you devised a clever method for quickly making gobs of these?  I have made them for family/friends (so delicious), but always figured I couldn't make it economically enough to sell. 

Also, I just found out that this "Holiday Boutique" event will bring in around 500 visitors rather than the 1,200 advertised. 

Thanks!

Well, early on when I started, I didn't have the funds to have a huge selection with packaging. So I picked an insert from one company, a classy looking box from another company, and went from there. All I did at that point were 12 pc, hand-dipped truffles; 6 flavors/ 2 of each per box.  The packaging was a little expensive, so I limited how much I'd purchase. I didn't want to end up with a huge inventory of packaging.  That, coupled with a shortage of time...I could only produce so much at once.  That's why I only had 30 boxes of truffles. (If I were doing it today, I'd make far more!)  I'd still take orders at the craft show, and sell them from my house directly to the customers. (I used a restaurant to make the candies, then store them at my home.)  Now, I can afford to purchase more packaging, and have expanded the options to 12 pc, 6 pc, 4 pc,; then 16 pc small cavities, for sea salt caramels or liquor cubes. I keep an inventory of packaging on hand now.

After I got started with the peppermint bark, I found a box that matched the pattern of the truffle box- and would weigh out each package. I can't remember if it was 12 or 16 ounces.  But, I cut the pieces and fitted them in neatly. The boxes are approved for direct food contact, and have a window on the top.  The presentation was very nice, with all matching packaging and color schemes.  I took additional orders for that item as well, and would make more for sales later.

The smaller items, like the cherries, espresso beans, etc.....I did not have the machinery or space to work with. So, I purchased them from a quality source, repackaged them with again- classy, matching packaging and labeling. I made sure people knew I didn't make them, but since I was able to package them in smaller quantities- classy packaging, and make it all coordinate---people would still purchase it like crazy. 

The almonds, spiced nuts, etc....Those I could do at the restaurant.

Presentation is incredibly important. I will send you a PM with some of the selections I've used in the past.

HTH!

• Like 1

-Andrea