• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Blender for Hotel Bar Use?

CAFC

Hello everyone!! 

I would like to ask some help to all the members  in the best choice for buying a blender for my hotel bar. My budget is up to $ 400 ... I have my two choices: the artisan kitchenaid and the Hamilton beach commercial rio bar ... what is your opinion? 
Thank you 
Greetings to all

Which model of the Vitamix do you recommend?

Thank you

I disagree completely with raising your budget, aside from one thing.

First, get the Waring Xtreme with variable speed control. Much cheaper than a Vitamix, more powerfrul than a Vitamix, and within your budget.

However, if you want those dials like the Vitamix 750 has (soup, smoothie, etc) then I guess you should go with that one as I don't think Waring makes a blender with those features, but research, maybe they do. Not sure it would be in your budget and I'm not sure the Vitamix 750 is in your budget.

My Waring Xtreme is absolutely amazing. Here is where I got it from.

http://www.webstaura...29MX1200XT.html

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 2

Aren't blenders more than about how "powerful" they are?

I'm sure this is a good choice, Robenco15.  Do you use it in a commercial environment?  If so, how many drinks a day do you blend?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I wasn't cursing Starbucks for their use of Blendtec, just everything else  :laugh:

My good friend is currently investigating ultra-powered Vitamixes and Blendtec and the two seem so comparable that the choice might as well be arbitrary

• Like 1

Thank you members for the answers so far. I think I need to explain further the purpose of the blender I need. First wanted to say that I live in Europe in Portugal and work in a design hotel in the Oporto city. My bar has a list of several cocktails and a section of smoothies and milkshakes that wanted to improve. I would also implement the frozen cocktails that are a current flaw in the menu. So needed a good blender that was not too expensive because not justify having a very expensive for the amount of drinks in question, that i currently serve. Between milkshakes, smoothies and frozen cocktails that i serve no more than 10 daily on average .... So needed a blender with average value that could do the job ....Note: i don´t have available to buy, here in Portugal,  the blenders that you mentioned  ... the best I could at an affordable price and that  can meet the needs are the Kitchenaid Artisan ($ 300) and Rio Hamilton Beach Commercial Blender ($ 380) .... However I think the Kitchenaid is more targeted for kitchen ... dont you think?

I'd strongly recommend purchasing a blender rated and warranted for commercial use. Vitamix, Blendtec, Waring, and Hamilton-Beach among others all make commercial blenders. There may be additional brands available locally for you. Contact the listed companies to find the distributors and dealers for your country. If you have a local restaurant supply store you may want to see what they have.

A home blender isn't going to put up with the abuse it is going to get in a commercial environment. When it breaks the repair won't be covered by warranty.

• Like 1

Aren't blenders more than about how "powerful" they are?

I'm sure this is a good choice, Robenco15.  Do you use it in a commercial environment?  If so, how many drinks a day do you blend?

I don't use it in a commerical environment, just at home. I like it because it can do anything I need it to. It isn't all about power, but I assume it can do everything any good blender, like a Vitamix, can, plus push a little more. If you ever need to liquify anything, it can do that better than any other one.

Also, the jar is great and if done right (which I am still doing my best to perfect) you won't ever need a tamper for anything products as they get pulled down and whatnot. I honestly have no experience with a Vitamix, I just wanted him to see that there were more things out there than a Vitamix (and in my opinion better) that did fall within his given budget. Vitamix blenders are great, but they also do a lot of marketing that makes them look like the only option out there. Kinda reminds me of Bose audio equipment. Bose is good, but not that amazing, yet due to their marketing people rarely realize there are many more options out there (usually better and cheaper). The only difference here though, and I'll definitely concede this,is  a Vitamix is a great product compared to most blenders.

Here is a video about the Waring Xtreme. Maybe it will answer your question better than I am able to?

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 1

Thank you members for the answers so far. I think I need to explain further the purpose of the blender I need. First wanted to say that I live in Europe in Portugal and work in a design hotel in the Oporto city. My bar has a list of several cocktails and a section of smoothies and milkshakes that wanted to improve. I would also implement the frozen cocktails that are a current flaw in the menu. So needed a good blender that was not too expensive because not justify having a very expensive for the amount of drinks in question, that i currently serve. Between milkshakes, smoothies and frozen cocktails that i serve no more than 10 daily on average .... So needed a blender with average value that could do the job ....Note: i don´t have available to buy, here in Portugal,  the blenders that you mentioned  ... the best I could at an affordable price and that  can meet the needs are the Kitchenaid Artisan ($ 300) and Rio Hamilton Beach Commercial Blender ($ 380) .... However I think the Kitchenaid is more targeted for kitchen ... dont you think?

FWIW, I have and like the HB Rio, specifically the 32 oz stainless steel model.  But, frankly, I liked the HB 909 better.  It has a slightly less powerful motor (3/8 hp vs. 1/2 hp), but had a better vortex, it seemed to me.  (I gave the 909 to my mother at some point and decided to upgrade on the replacement.)  BTW, prices in the U.S for these blenders are about 1/3 what you're seeing in Portugal,  See, e.g., Webstaurant for the 909, Rio 32 and Rio 44.  I mention this mainly because you're asking for advice against a price point.  Wanted you to know we're not really in a position to comment on that.

ETA: Not that we're all in the U.S.  But relatively few of us are in Portugal.

Edited by pbear (log)
  • Like 1

I disagree completely with raising your budget, aside from one thing.

First, get the Waring Xtreme with variable speed control. Much cheaper than a Vitamix, more powerfrul than a Vitamix, and within your budget.

However, if you want those dials like the Vitamix 750 has (soup, smoothie, etc) then I guess you should go with that one as I don't think Waring makes a blender with those features, but research, maybe they do. Not sure it would be in your budget and I'm not sure the Vitamix 750 is in your budget.

My Waring Xtreme is absolutely amazing. Here is where I got it from.

http://www.webstaura...29MX1200XT.html

The Waring blender may be a very good device but I really have to laugh at how they advertise it. They claim it's 3.5 hp but go on to say it's 1560 Watts which calculates out to  just a little more than 2 hp of electrical usage! If it was truly 3.5 hp it couldn't run plugged into a conventional household or commercial receptacle, it would require a special electrical feed! Not that they are alone in doing this but not engineering type people don't realize that what they are saying is a complete joke. Horsepower is 745.7 watts no matter how you calculate it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The Waring blender may be a very good device but I really have to laugh at how they advertise it. They claim it's 3.5 hp but go on to say it's 1560 Watts which calculates out to  just a little more than 2 hp of electrical usage! If it was truly 3.5 hp it couldn't run plugged into a conventional household or commercial receptacle, it would require a special electrical feed! Not that they are alone in doing this but not engineering type people don't realize that what they are saying is a complete joke. Horsepower is 745.7 watts no matter how you calculate it.

Fair enough and good point about advertising. I'm not very up on all of the electrical information, etc but your info is definitely correct.

My point was that the Waring is more powerful, which it still is. It puts out more watts than any vitamix or vita-prep (is "puts out" the correct way of daying that?). Then it has the benefit of having a 3.5hp motor which, from my limited understanding, will allow it to run longer without overheating and last longer overall.

I don't own a blender but I have to point out that the highest wattage Blendtec home blender is rated at 2400 watts.  And, no, it does not plug into a conventional household receptacle.

But why would a hotel be using household receptacles?

The notion of "peak horsepower" is pretty meaningless, unless you have a draft horse on top of a mountain.  A blender does not put out watts or horsepower, otherwise I would be using one to run my stove.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou