• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How important is restaurant lighting?

cordonbleu

I just read a very interesting article on restaurant lighting:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/31/softer-restaurant-music-lighting-can-help-cut-calories/

In there it says:

"[...]toning down the tunes and dimming the lights in a fast food restaurant can help diners enjoy their meal more and eat less[...]"

furthermore:

"In the study published in the journal Psychological Reports, Wansink and his co-author Koert Van Ittersum, of the Georgia Institute of Technology, said the bright lights, stimulating colors, sound-reflecting surfaces and loud music in fast food restaurants are not designed to be relaxing."

carre-s1p-s1g-pendant-light.jpg

(Source: http://www.interior-deluxe.com)

I wonder if many restaurant owners are even considering these issues?

With the phasing out of incandescent bulbs, it will be questionable regarding quality of lighting in the future.

CFL, and LED lights do not have the same spectrum as incandescent lights. They lack the red, low red, near IR and IR.

Some of them flicker.

dcarch

I recall reading Escoffier on the importance of soft light to flatter women's appearances. He seemed to feel that it was a critical feature that really affected where women chose to dine, or places they actively avoided. And, since they were often the decision maker on where to eat out, pleasing them was important.

I just want to be able to read the Menu ;)

I gave my mom one of those little LED flashlights to keep in her purse. It's insanely bright. The next time she's in a restaurant where the lighting is too low for her to read the menu, she can whip the flashlight out and make a point.  :laugh:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Restaurant Lighting is very important!

You will definitely need varying levels of lighting in your restaurant.

What kind of meal times will you offer at your restaurant and the concept have a lot to do with your lighting.

If it’s too dark customers can't see and enjoy the Chef’s beautiful creations there’s something to be said for “if it looks good it most likely will taste good!”

A dark lit dining room can make it difficult reading your menus.

Also, you need to have enough light so that your staff and customers don't trip or fall.

Breakfast: lots of light is needed many customers want to read the morning newspapers while enjoying their coffee and breakfast.

Lunch: If you are a fast food restaurant, a moderate level of light will help to create a fast turnover of customers, especially needed for lunch rushes for those who only get 30 minutes to an hour!

Dinner: The dinner hour requires a low intensity of light to create an intimate and leisurely atmosphere.

Fast Food Dining - Bright lights attract customers and signify a place buzzing with activity and very fast service.

Family Dining  - well lit to give the impression of fast service with decorative fixtures and walls to create a homey atmosphere.

Fine Dining - requires a low intensity of light to create an intimate and leisurely atmosphere and imply a high quality meal.

Low levels of lighting are generally associated with higher prices and a high quality of service.

Now that lighting has been discussed how about the other atmosphere creating sense SOUND!

Second Most Important Item On The Menu? It's The Music Selection

And, I would add, be able to carry out a conversation with my tablemates or the waitstaff.

Yes, and see the food I'm enjoying!

Although as I'm getting older, I'm beginning to understand where Escoffier was coming from and I'm even starting to agree a bit :huh::raz:

...  dimming the lights in a fast food restaurant can help diners enjoy their meal more and eat less[...]"

That seems contradictory.  If you're not enjoying it, why would you eat more of it?

And if it's true, why would any restaurant owner wanting to make a buck want people to eat less?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Dining in the dark:

http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/unusual-restaurants-eating-in-the-dark

I don't know how many of these places are still extant. However, Dans le Noir in NYC is closed but the ones elsewhere appear to be active. :-)  Cue dcarch's post above...  Opaque is active in various US cities.

An old review of the now-closed Dans le Noir in NYC here.

But one can still do this in NYC, sort of - Camaje Bistro's next one is tomorrow night... then Oct 29, Nov 8.  :-)